How many do we need ?

Weedocbhoy60

As the number of candidates for the managers post lengthens daily I got to wondering ....... how many players do we need to sign in the summer ??
For me we need a goalie, two full backs, two centre backs, a creative midfielder, a striker ( a real one this time) and two wingers.
A daunting task for any incoming manager or am I wide of the mark?? Your thoughts bhoys and ghirls.

If we get a foreign manager then no doubt he will bring in some class from Europe maybe there is another Lubo out there,and as lennono said he cant see too many coming in,I dont think we need too many new faces either,we had the players to do the ten we also had a manager who completely lost his bottle.
One of his last interviews he was asked about young Bhoys coming up from the academy into the first team training sessions,he hit back right away with,,yes we have some very good young Bhoys coming through now,so Neil do you think they might get some game time before the end of the season,,no, I dont think they are ready yet,,maybe what he meant was they were not fit enough,or they were fatigued,or maybe he just did not have the balls to put a potential first team player in the squad,.

HH.

If , as we assume, Eddie, big Kris, Rogic, Hendry, Shved, Ralston, Griff ? and Ryan go and Shane, Moi, Diego and Jonjo return to their parents, from the remaining players my first team would be ( 4-4-2 ) Barkas - O'Donnell - Julienne- Davies- Taylor. Soro, Forrest, MacGregor, Turnbull. Klimala, Ajeti. Subs ( full team with acquisitions in bold ) Lewis. Shaw - Gallagher - Biton - Doig. Campbell - Robertson - Connell - Ferguson Nisbett, Karlsson. ( McKenna if we couldn't get Davies ).
So ten players if we lose the expected eleven but still the dilemma of leaving out Henderson, MacEnroy, Coffey etc. My first team would probably be
Lewis
O'Donnell Julienne Davies Taylor
Soro, Forrest, MacGregor, Turnbull.
Nisbett, Karlsson.

Subs. from Ajeti, Klimala, Ferguson, Doig, Campbell, Gallagher, Biton, Shaw, Connell, Barkas

All within the budget of a much weakened post Covid economy

Don't be lobbying the new DOF to hire me 😁😁😁

Last edited:
If we get a foreign manager then no doubt he will bring in some class from Europe maybe there is another Lubo out there,and as lennono said he cant see too many coming in,I dont think we need too many new faces either,we had the players to do the ten we also had a manager who completely lost his bottle.
One of his last interviews he was asked about young Bhoys coming up from the academy into the first team training sessions,he hit back right away with,,yes we have some very good young Bhoys coming through now,so Neil do you think they might get some game time before the end of the season,,no, I dont think they are ready yet,,maybe what he meant was they were not fit enough,or they were fatigued,or maybe he just did not have the balls to put a potential first team player in the squad,.

HH.
GS the quality is still there all thats required is a coach who does not allow fitness levels to drop and organises and the best will come out again. Players respond to new skills and tricks and learning, football is a trade you are not accomplished until your retire, then you take your trade into coaching basically football is about learning to pass on what you have learned and what you are still learning in your new role. Best coach in the business, Leeds Utd have him.

Last edited:
GS the quality is still there all thats required is a coach who does not allow fitness levels to drop and organises and the best will come out again. Players respond to new skills and tricks and learning, football isa trade you are not accomplished until your retire, then you take your trade into coachingm basically football is about learning to pass on what you have learned and what you are still learning in your new role. Best coach in the business, Leeds Utd have him.
Fair shout boab and good discussion as moyes has also done wonders with getting the best out of players this season.
Going to be a mad summer I would expect with the return of fans on the horizon and the financial costs of the pandemic are taken into account with so many clubs wanting to recoup some of their losses

Hard to say really but I suppose it all depends on who the new manager wants to keep and whit players want to move on regardless of who the new manager is. Personally I think there will be massive changes, maybe not straight away but over the next 2 transfer windows....

Broony (will either retire and take up a coaching role at the club or will leave to get another couple of years playing time)

Duffy, Laxalt, Moi and Kenny (will go back to their parent clubs)

Eddy, Ajer, Christie (will likely want a move away regardless of who the new manager is)

Barkas, Ralston, Bitton, Griff, Klimala, Ajeti and possibly Rogic (could be moved on for various reasons)

There's 15 players straight away☝️who could be gone by the end of next January's transfer window and that's before you even consider the situations with the likes of Luca Connell, Ntcham, Hendry, Bayo, Dembele, Shved, Lee O'Connor, Bolingoli, Perez, Gutman.

Whatever way you look at it the club and the new manager have a massive rebuilding job on their hands. 😱

A new manager assuming its one of quality will identify the players he will build the team around and who he can get the best out of as has been pointed out.
Who stays and who goes ..again there is an expectation of a massive clear out. All the loan players will return to their parent clubs . For sure we will need a goalkeeper regardless. Looks like two right backs are required unless someone tells me Manny Perez is now ready. A left back ...replacements for big Rogic and Christie if as expected they move on including a new Striker to replace Eddie. Could the Griff get offloaded ..it's a strong possibility. Two more wide players
Any new manager should prioritise keeping big Ajer in my opinion ..at only 22 he has so much more to come ...probably won't stay but who knows. Again there is the conundrum of the returning loan players coming back to us.
Will be a number of windows to sort all of this out I am afraid .

Hard to say really but I suppose it all depends on who the new manager wants to keep and whit players want to move on regardless of who the new manager is. Personally I think there will be massive changes, maybe not straight away but over the next 2 transfer windows....

Broony (will either retire and take up a coaching role at the club or will leave to get another couple of years playing time)

Duffy, Laxalt, Moi and Kenny (will go back to their parent clubs)

Eddy, Ajer, Christie (will likely want a move away regardless of who the new manager is)

Barkas, Ralston, Bitton, Griff, Klimala, Ajeti and possibly Rogic (could be moved on for various reasons)

There's 15 players straight away☝️who could be gone by the end of next January's transfer window and that's before you even consider the situations with the likes of Luca Connell, Ntcham, Hendry, Bayo, Dembele, Shved, Lee O'Connor, Bolingoli, Perez, Gutman.

Whatever way you look at it the club and the new manager have a massive rebuilding job on their hands. 😱
Agreed shadow, who's out of the door will need to be addressed before the consideration of who comes in, but surely a commanding CB must be looked upon as the first priority

Only players I would keep are:
Ajer
Welsh
Soro
Mc Gregor
Turnbull
Forrest
Griffiths.

Punt the rest, or return them to their clubs and rebuild properly. Wouldn't like to see Ajer go as he has been decent and could not be faulted for this season.

I got a feeling that we wont need too many players....Most will all be better, try harder etc under a new manager .....and if they also try harder etc under Kennedy......That lets you know where the main problem was.....
fix the system

we really dont need much after the system is fixed coz all the players we have are good players following a really stupid shape and not a very good plan.

And switched to similar 433 tactic of Sevco then I think a decent manager could get best out of rest

fix the system

we really dont need much after the system is fixed coz all the players we have are good players following a really stupid shape and not a very good plan.

And switched to similar 433 tactic of Sevco then I think a decent manager could get best out of rest
How would you line us out in a 433 then, TET?

Reactions: CAZ
How would you line us out in a 433 then, TET?
With current squad you mean?

Barkas would be my keeper

Taylor left back
Ajer and Julien
Brown RB

flat back 4

Turnbull box to box central channel cm
Soro deep playmaker left channel CM
Bitton deep right channel CM

Forrest RF
Eddy griff or Ajeti Central forward
Cal left forward

We need a right back for certain

I would like 2 better cms

And 1 winger

Assuming boli gets replaced

if Ajer out we need 2 cbs

if not we need 1

let all the loan players go

if we were going 442 then we need a proper target man instead of 2 cms

I would expect the midfield to never ever be further than 20 yards apart and when def has ball to be no further than 20 yards in front of the defence

with full backs behind midfield line unless huge gap appears on flank

let the 3 forward work their back line

if they come too far forward expose the gap in behind and turn their defence

thats pretty much the system sevco play and it creates many more chances than we do

We have too many acm

who dont really cover our channels well

and our cms drifts too far from our defence and too wide leaving a monstrous hole in our midfield which gets suckered all too often when def try long high balls and miss target

Elyou is not a team player
neither is christie

it may be they are following instructions to letter which would suggest they are told to shoot from anywhere

and fact they get so much game time makes me think lennon encouraged that dross

Rogic is good player but luxury position

unless he can play deeper more often then id sell him with christie

I would exile the acm role from team completely

its almost like giving opps an extra man if he doesnt cover cm role as well

whatever we rake in for want away/cut loose players is budget for next manager

get wage bill fixed first then build from spfl talent or freedom contract players available

Last edited:
With current squad you mean?

Barkas would be my keeper

Taylor left back
Ajer and Julien
Brown RB

flat back 4

Turnbull box to box central channel cm
Soro deep playmaker left channel CM
Bitton deep right channel CM

Forrest RF
Eddy griff or Ajeti Central forward
Cal left forward

We need a right back for certain

I would like 2 better cms

And 1 winger

Assuming boli gets replaced

if Ajer out we need 2 cbs

if not we need 1

let all the loan players go

if we were going 442 then we need a proper target man instead of 2 cms

I would expect the midfield to never ever be further than 20 yards apart and when def has ball to be no further than 20 yards in front of the defence

with full backs behind midfield line unless huge gap appears on flank

let the 3 forward work their back line

if they come too far forward expose the gap in behind and turn their defence

thats pretty much the system sevco play and it creates many more chances than we do

We have too many acm

who dont really cover our channels well

and our cms drifts too far from our defence and too wide leaving a monstrous hole in our midfield which gets suckered all too often when def try long high balls and miss target

Elyou is not a team player
neither is christie

it may be they are following instructions to letter which would suggest they are told to shoot from anywhere

and fact they get so much game time makes me think lennon encouraged that dross

Rogic is good player but luxury position

unless he can play deeper more often then id sell him with christie

I would exile the acm role from team completely

its almost like giving opps an extra man if he doesnt cover cm role as well

whatever we rake in for want away/cut loose players is budget for next manager

get wage bill fixed first then build from spfl talent or freedom contract players available
We need players in for a 433 I think but maybe put Bitton Rb and calmac lm with jf and rc in the front 3 with a striker. However I dont see Ajer, eddy or rc being here so good recruitment is essential. I don't think we need to be playing a match up to beat the new mob anyway. A manager with a system and the players to play that system would be a good start. I do also think that if we want to make sure of being back on top next season our chairman may need to have a look at your figures TET and then tell us how he can put a nice low cost financial package together to right the wrongs of the last few seasons.

Members online

Back