How many do we need ?

We have a COVID crisis that will not go away soon. That changes everything. Normal economic models do not apply. Everything next season has to be done on a vastly reduced budget. A better question to ask is what players do we have on our books that can be winners and which of the Development squad can be promoted and also be winners. We have three goalkeepers on our books. I can see no economic case for bringing in another one. If I was the one in charge of the books I would get an interim manager who was already on the payroll. Tick. I would hope that the next eight games are won and that the appointment is made permanent. That provides continuity and the possibility of a running start at our European campaign. He knows the players unlike any other manager. I do not know which players are out of contract soon. Those who are and are not considered worthy of another contract should be let go for as much as the market will pay. I would tell the manager that he has a incoming budget of net ZERO. i.e. if outgoing transfers net $6,000,000 then incomers can only be a maximum of $6,000,000. That means look to your own resources and to free agents who have the ability to improve the team (that's a tall order) If they were that good then why would they be a free agent? I know that this will be unpopular and that some people think we should pay squillions on starlets thus ruining our wage structures and causing disharmony in the dressing room. It's a complex task balancing risks and benefits of outgoings. We have made many expensive mistakes and this is not the time for more. It's not just a club. It's a business and the legal duty of the directors is NOT to the fans but to the shareholders.

We have a COVID crisis that will not go away soon. That changes everything. Normal economic models do not apply. Everything next season has to be done on a vastly reduced budget. A better question to ask is what players do we have on our books that can be winners and which of the Development squad can be promoted and also be winners. We have three goalkeepers on our books. I can see no economic case for bringing in another one. If I was the one in charge of the books I would get an interim manager who was already on the payroll. Tick. I would hope that the next eight games are won and that the appointment is made permanent. That provides continuity and the possibility of a running start at our European campaign. He knows the players unlike any other manager. I do not know which players are out of contract soon. Those who are and are not considered worthy of another contract should be let go for as much as the market will pay. I would tell the manager that he has a incoming budget of net ZERO. i.e. if outgoing transfers net $6,000,000 then incomers can only be a maximum of $6,000,000. That means look to your own resources and to free agents who have the ability to improve the team (that's a tall order) If they were that good then why would they be a free agent? I know that this will be unpopular and that some people think we should pay squillions on starlets thus ruining our wage structures and causing disharmony in the dressing room. It's a complex task balancing risks and benefits of outgoings. We have made many expensive mistakes and this is not the time for more. It's not just a club. It's a business and the legal duty of the directors is NOT to the fans but to the shareholders.
Sorry to disagree with you but without fans why bother having a club in the 1st place. I think we are all aware of the risks that surround the game in general due to covid but we will run the risk of becoming an irrelevance if we don't try and make it into a European competition as this will reduce our income further. You may not agree with me on this but it was PL's reluctance to invest in the team before we had qualified for the champions league that had reduced us to also-rans along of course with our tactically inept mgr. So understanding the risks we must not retreat further into our shells, as in the long run this will do more damage to the "business". I have stated in many posts that I believe we need to change our processes and structure, but I believe that we have the chance to modernise the club and be successful and profitable as well, HH.

Reactions: CAZ
The only way to enfranchise the fans is to have them as shareholders https://www.londonstockexchange.com/stock/CCP/celtic-plc/company-page?lang=en

As far as I can see that currently costs $105 pounds for one share. The return is not good. I do not know how easy it is to buy shares in Scotland. In NZ anyone can easily do so on their phone or laptop.
I can appreciate your point that qualification for the CL group stages would reap great rewards. But that means getting through the qualifying rounds. Do we have the current staff capable of achieving that? If not then what would the cost of acquiring such staff? Scotland IS an also-ran in football and even more so after Brexit even although a Scottish team sometimes punches above their weight they will still be an also-ran. I cheered when we beat Barcelona and slumped with we were Cluj-ed. I saw Celtic win the European Cup and be in the semifinals or finals four times. We used to be feared in Europe but that was 50 years ago. The current economic model is unlikely to bring us success. Will it change in the next three months? No.

Reactions: CAZ
The only way to enfranchise the fans is to have them as shareholders https://www.londonstockexchange.com/stock/CCP/celtic-plc/company-page?lang=en

As far as I can see that currently costs $105 pounds for one share. The return is not good. I do not know how easy it is to buy shares in Scotland. In NZ anyone can easily do so on their phone or laptop.
I can appreciate your point that qualification for the CL group stages would reap great rewards. But that means getting through the qualifying rounds. Do we have the current staff capable of achieving that? If not then what would the cost of acquiring such staff? Scotland IS an also-ran in football and even more so after Brexit even although a Scottish team sometimes punches above their weight they will still be an also-ran. I cheered when we beat Barcelona and slumped with we were Cluj-ed. I saw Celtic win the European Cup and be in the semifinals or finals four times. We used to be feared in Europe but that was 50 years ago. The current economic model is unlikely to bring us success. Will it change in the next three months? No.
Sir, I too watched with pride as Caesar lifted the European Cup, and through the years the various up and downs of our club, I too realise that in general terms we are big fish in a small pond, my general opinion is that run properly we could be regular players in the champions league, and though we wouldn't be feared or fancied as possible winners we could regain some of the respect that we've lost these last few seasons. And you never know life's a funny old thing we could produce something special that would be talked-about in years to come, Again sir HH.

Sir, I too watched with pride as Caesar lifted the European Cup, and through the years the various up and downs of our club, I too realise that in general terms we are big fish in a small pond, my general opinion is that run properly we could be regular players in the champions league, and though we wouldn't be feared or fancied as possible winners we could regain some of the respect that we've lost these last few seasons. And you never know life's a funny old thing we could produce something special that would be talked-about in years to come, Again sir HH.
Sorry but I didn't cover your point on owning shares and having more influence on the way forward, fans having a share of the club is a good way to try and have more of a say in the running of the club, but even if they had a significant ownership you would still have either a larger slice of the shares owned by either a hedge fund or a very rich supporter like DD. Fan groups like the Celtic Trust is one of the ways that ordinary supporters can help at a reasonable cost. I do however feel that a club "constitution" that restricted board members from serving a fixed term of office would be one way to ensure that a refreshing of the boardroom takes place and we don't have the same ceo/chairman in place for too long.

There needs to be changes too in the happy back slapping board of directors too. We should not miss this opportunity to get those who have over stayed their welcome to move on and replaced with the kind of people who are going to look after Celtic FC and fight in our best interests.
We also need to ensure that PL has left the building after June 30th because we need this change to work properly not with PL and his huge ego still getting to influence the new CEO.

We need to pick a game plan first. I'd like to see us play 3-3-4 against domestic opposition, which means we need wingers mostly. We should offer Ajer decent money to stay, tell him he'll be captain for the next five years. Otherwise let Edouard, Rogic, Barkas, Bain, Christie, Brown, Ajeti and all loanees go. Bring back Bayo and Schved (I'm serious), recruit one striker, one central defender, two wingers and a reliable goalkeeper who'll play on the edge of his box. Not an impossible task.

We need to pick a game plan first. I'd like to see us play 3-3-4 against domestic opposition, which means we need wingers mostly. We should offer Ajer decent money to stay, tell him he'll be captain for the next five years. Otherwise let Edouard, Rogic, Barkas, Bain, Christie, Brown, Ajeti and all loanees go. Bring back Bayo and Schved (I'm serious), recruit one striker, one central defender, two wingers and a reliable goalkeeper who'll play on the edge of his box. Not an impossible task.
I'm not sure about a 3-3-4 but I did think a 3-4-3 (or 3-4-1-2 based on our current players and large quantity of ACMs/no. 10s we have). Apart from a now-sacked agent, I have heard zero murmerings about Ajer wanting to leave - that is not to say he hasn't said that internally, of course.

But on the scale of salaries, he is only about in the middle ranking of our starters (unlike say Christie who is at the lowest) but yet he has been one of our hardest working players we have. He is not yet the finished article (practice jumping would be a start) but I'd definitely try to persuade him to stay if at all possible, by offering him a decent pay-rise. I'd sign him up for another 5 years and say that if he wants to leave after 3 years then he can go if a big transfer comes in (write-in buy-out clauses for each year if needbe). And I'd have him as captain, as I think he would thrive under the pressure whereas I fell CalMac struggles under the added pressure.

Having said all this, he'll probably leave in the summer!

First Fisiani,John Kennedy is an interim manager and so far that is all he is and from what I have seen from his defensive strategies they leave a bit to be desired, but it will not stop me supporting him in any way I can.
I can imagine the board would relish John stepping up to the plate and secure 8 victories from the last 8 games,that would then put him in the running for the job and save them putting their hand in their pocket
We need a new face in the managers seat and a face we are familiar with, someone we know will get the best from the players we have and someone who can attract good players to come and play for him.
As regards to telling any manager when he walks through the door at Parkhead his spending cannot excede the sales,the first thing any decent manager will do is stop laughing and put his coat back on and bid farewell.
This is the season the board need to step up and find the money needed to get us back to where we belong.
This disastrous season is not the fault of the fans it is partly the board and mostly Lenny and Lawwell this is why I think they should be held responsible and also liable.
They will not be slow asking us once again for season ticket money as is par for the course every season,the fans have never refused to put their hands in their pockets when it was needed,now the money needed is beyond what is in our pockets so time for the big Bhoys to dig deep.
We expect to lose Eddy £25m Christie £15m maybe Ajer £15--£20m I expect every penny of this and extra if needed to go to the next manager at Parkhead.
We lose Lawwell and save £70000 per week we should lose Hammond hopefully.. the man responsible for the last two seasons recruitments,so we save around £75000 - £100000 per week which will more than pay the wages of the new CEO and new recruitment officer and also the new director of Football..
All we need to do is replace what we lose with better than we had,,tall order ?? yes,impossible ?? for losers yes, for Glasgow Celtic...definitely not..

HH.

Last edited:
Assuming that we come second in the league ( forgive my hubris) our next crucial match is on the 20th and 27th July, the second qualifying round for the CL and by 25th August we will either be in the group stages or we will not be when the playoff round is completed. Which of our current roster can get us there and which cannot? Those potential six matches will financially define season 21-22. 113 days to assemble a squad before 20th July. That time will fly in. What is the nucleus of our team for next season? Who knows what will happen when the transfer window opens, but based on our current staff, Ajer, Soro, Turnbull, Johnstone, Forrest, Eddie.

First Fisiani,John Kennedy is an interim manager and so far that is all he is and from what I have seen from his defensive strategies they leave a bit to be desired, but it will not stop me supporting him in any way I can.
I can imagine the board would relish John stepping up to the plate and secure 8 victories from the last 8 games,that would then put him in the running for the job and save them putting their hand in their pocket
We need a new face in the managers seat and a face we are familiar with, someone we know will get the best from the players we have and someone who can attract good players to come and play for him.
As regards to telling any manager when he walks through the door at Parkhead his spending cannot excede the sales,the first thing any decent manager will do is stop laughing and put his coat back on and bid farewell.
This is the season the board need to step up and find the money needed to get us back to where we belong.
This disastrous season is not the fault of the fans it is partly the board and mostly Lenny and Lawwell this is why I think they should be held responsible and also liable.
They will not be slow asking us once again for season ticket money as is par for the course every season,the fans have never refused to put their hands in their pockets when it was needed,now the money needed is beyond what is in our pockets so time for the big Bhoys to dig deep.
We expect to lose Eddy £25m Christie £15m maybe Ajer £15--£20m I expect every penny of this and extra if needed to go to the next manager at Parkhead.
We lose Lawwell and save £70000 per week we should lose Hammond hopefully.. the man responsible for the last two seasons recruitments,so we save around £75000 - £100000 per week which will more than pay the wages of the new CEO and new recruitment officer and also the new director of Football..
All we need to do is replace what we lose with better than we had,,tall order ?? yes,impossible ?? for losers yes, for Glasgow Celtic...definitely not..

HH.
I think we will struggle fir 25 million fir Eddie now with a year left in contract
Ajer will fetch the money you say
We’ll be lucky to get half of the 15 million fir Christie. If we do I’d be shocked.
big saving on lawwell though

A near impossible question to answer atm with such an oversized playing squad.
With the modern game now players need to be more adjustable to formations and shape of a team and roles required for players to do for the team.
We have became a little bit static in regards so many players don't seem to want to do the work best for a team and certainly without any sight of guidance either.
I do think if we had a squad capable of playing a 343 this would give us far more options to slightly making suttle changes for matches as required, and we already have much of a squad to do so already even though a bit more quality wouldn't go a miss, so for instance
Barkas
Welsh. Jules. Ajer
Christie Soro Turnbull mgr
Forrest Ajeti Mikey j

Bain / hazard
Shaw. Bitton hendrie
Henderson Robinson Luca Taylor
Kinmala Bayo oxo/Jon afo

Now that's 24 named so far and not in any way surgesting this should be our squad but when you look at what we could get in on transfers on
Eddy, Griff, ntcham, bolli, rogic, Ralston plus a few others

Plus the savings on the loan signings and broony there should still be plenty of money for adding players where necessary.
I still believe we need a commanding CB long term so get 1 in and release Bitton for example.
Get a proper keeper in and release Barkas or Bain, preferably both, and so on and so on until a new manager has a squad he is happy with and a squad of players that are happy to do the job required.
The younger players should be loaned out as much as possible if Scotland won't supply any football for them to help there development which would be a shame as there is room for a 2nd team in Scotland in the lower league's which I believe would be of great benefit for Scottish football as a whole

A new manager assuming its one of quality will identify the players he will build the team around and who he can get the best out of as has been pointed out.
Who stays and who goes ..again there is an expectation of a massive clear out. All the loan players will return to their parent clubs . For sure we will need a goalkeeper regardless. Looks like two right backs are required unless someone tells me Manny Perez is now ready. A left back ...replacements for big Rogic and Christie if as expected they move on including a new Striker to replace Eddie. Could the Griff get offloaded ..it's a strong possibility. Two more wide players
Any new manager should prioritise keeping big Ajer in my opinion ..at only 22 he has so much more to come ...probably won't stay but who knows. Again there is the conundrum of the returning loan players coming back to us.
Will be a number of windows to sort all of this out I am afraid .
Couldn't agree more M7, I've already said a couple of times that we could be in for a longer spell rebuilding the squad than we'd like. The money squandered on players not making any contribution is, for me , the cause of this seasons collapse. If we add up the amount of money spent on players who are either out on loan or sitting on the bench, well, it beggars belief. The scouting has been an abysmal failure. If we don't improve in that department, then goodness knows how long the rebuild will take. Believe me, I want so very much to be wrong about this.

If , as we assume, Eddie, big Kris, Rogic, Hendry, Shved, Ralston, Griff ? and Ryan go and Shane, Moi, Diego and Jonjo return to their parents, from the remaining players my first team would be ( 4-4-2 ) Barkas - O'Donnell - Julienne- Davies- Taylor. Soro, Forrest, MacGregor, Turnbull. Klimala, Ajeti. Subs ( full team with acquisitions in bold ) Lewis. Shaw - Gallagher - Biton - Doig. Campbell - Robertson - Connell - Ferguson Nisbett, Karlsson. ( McKenna if we couldn't get Davies ).
So ten players if we lose the expected eleven but still the dilemma of leaving out Henderson, MacEnroy, Coffey etc. My first team would probably be
Lewis
O'Donnell Julienne Davies Taylor
Soro, Forrest, MacGregor, Turnbull.
Nisbett, Karlsson.

Subs. from Ajeti, Klimala, Ferguson, Doig, Campbell, Gallagher, Biton, Shaw, Connell, Barkas

All within the budget of a much weakened post Covid economy

Don't be lobbying the new DOF to hire me 😁😁😁
Your teams give me the fear buddy ,take it Europes not on your mind?

A question guys. Hands up if you think that post Covid , taking the new economic realities into account that Celtic will be able to afford 5M to 10M players. Bear in mind the 19m showing in the interim accounts is an overdraft facility ( I think )

:LOL: :LOL::LOL:👏👏👏 .................. but !! Have a look at the team line ups that WGS took to CL last 16 twice. Decent players well coached and playing as a unit e.g. Sparta Prague - Ferencvaros - the huns CAN achieve in Europe
without doubt ghostie, people knock your stevie clarke's etc, even without the quality players of previous managers, wee gordy punched like a heavyweight, work ethic, organisation, belief in the players, players believing in the manager and motivation. it goes a long way to finding out better teams with an inferior attitude.

Back