How much have we missed James Forrest this season

Absolutely - fall guy for many and looks a bit timid sometimes when the boots are flying in, but the number of assists and goals he contributes is phenomenal. And often they are game changers or winners. I think it is more than a coincidence that our awful run of results started just after he got crocked.

We're incredibly fortunate to have had Jamsie his whole career. He's a living legend who is down in history. We've never had to deal with any disruptions over contracts, he never runs to the press, he has conducted himself impeccably and is rightly a role model to young Celts everywhere.
I think we have been guilty of under appreciation of what he brings to the Club, his skills are top drawer and in the last 4/5 seasons has pulled his scoring up there with his assists. It's true he can disappear in games at times but I would always rather have him in the team for the talent he brings.
Anyone who doubts him should answer one question...

'Would you enjoy being the player against him?'

It's been an honour and privilege to have him in the Hoops and hopefully for the rest of his career as well.

Massively. I said on the match thread, the amount of goals we could have scored had we had him on the park. Every counter attack we have stops as it reaches the half way line because we don't have him bursting up the wing. At half time they showed highlights of an old match against the sheep. We won the ball in our half...its played out wide to James who bombs up the right hand side and crossed a perfect ball to sincy on the other wing to score!! That just hasn't happened this season without him on the park. Now we win the ball. Bomb forward to the half way line then stop. Brown to turnbull to christie to mcgregor.......then back to ajer or into the feet of eddy who will have 3 players around him.....and the reason he will have 3 players around him is because they aren't chasing Forrest up the wing. It's a fucking scandal that we allowed the January transfer window to come and go without bringing in any quick wingers.

Marmite for some fans , but fuck me we have missed him this year
Sorry but he does my head in so frustrating he is an incredible player when he wants too but that doesn’t happen any where often enough. Go back a couple of seasons when BR’s team was have a slow start to the season then went to Perth and blew St Johnstone away with Forrest running the show he then had a run of 6 or 7 games for us and his country (so I heard, no time for Scotland ) but how many games does he play and he is invisible hiding behind the full back as not to get the pass. Compare him to Sinclair in his last season or so when his form dipped but had similar stats to Forrest with goals and assists he was starting to get a lot of criticism but the big difference for me was he always showed for the ball unlike Jamesy just my honest opinion.

Inconsistency and injury plagued his early years but he came good when he added constancy. I watched that Kennedy team yesterday and it was clear he wanted a 4-2-3-1 but was constrained by the availability of wide players.
We have full backs supplying all our width at the moment, when both Taylor and to a lesser extent Kenny are decent defensive full backs who would benefit from not only width but width with pace to get in behind, and carry the ball and give players a breather.
We played Klimala to press from the front but also to stretch the opposition defence in behind. It's an underrated role of the winger to do that sort of role and stretch the game -open it up to the advantage of the attacking side. Forrest not only offers that but also a heck of a threat by way of assists and goals. He makes the opposition counter our thinking and in turn impacts their threat, and in certain games he is negated as a result but it needs to be acknowledged that even when that happens it plays a vital role for the rest of the team. Not only have we missed him this season he should be recognised as a legend of the club imo.

Inconsistency and injury plagued his early years but he came good when he added constancy. I watched that Kennedy team yesterday and it was clear he wanted a 4-2-3-1 but was constrained by the availability of wide players.
We have full backs supplying all our width at the moment, when both Taylor and to a lesser extent Kenny are decent defensive full backs who would benefit from not only width but width with pace to get in behind, and carry the ball and give players a breather.
We played Klimala to press from the front but also to stretch the opposition defence in behind. It's an underrated role of the winger to do that sort of role and stretch the game -open it up to the advantage of the attacking side. Forrest not only offers that but also a heck of a threat by way of assists and goals. He makes the opposition counter our thinking and in turn impacts their threat, and in certain games he is negated as a result but it needs to be acknowledged that even when that happens it plays a vital role for the rest of the team. Not only have we missed him this season he should be recognised as a legend of the club imo.
Agreed

Massively. I said on the match thread, the amount of goals we could have scored had we had him on the park. Every counter attack we have stops as it reaches the half way line because we don't have him bursting up the wing. At half time they showed highlights of an old match against the sheep. We won the ball in our half...its played out wide to James who bombs up the right hand side and crossed a perfect ball to sincy on the other wing to score!! That just hasn't happened this season without him on the park. Now we win the ball. Bomb forward to the half way line then stop. Brown to turnbull to christie to mcgregor.......then back to ajer or into the feet of eddy who will have 3 players around him.....and the reason he will have 3 players around him is because they aren't chasing Forrest up the wing. It's a fucking scandal that we allowed the January transfer window to come and go without bringing in any quick wingers.
Would you have trusted Lennon to buy in the transfer window?

He's way overrated. Very frustrating player. When he shows up hes brilliant. Unfortunately more often than not, he hides. I honestly don't think he would have made much of a difference this season anyway. Too many players not bothering their hole for one to make a difference. To me, he's just another Christie like player.

James Forrest was getting pelters and was on the verge of leaving before B Rodgers came in. He got a new lease of life and upped his game to the higher standards he had reached before. Unfortunately those standards slipped a bit again before he was injured and the constant turning in [which they all end up doing, and has to be coaching], was beginning to wind fans up again. No doubt has been missed though but i dont think he alone would have changed our fortunes that much.

James Forrest was getting pelters and was on the verge of leaving before B Rodgers came in. He got a new lease of life and upped his game to the higher standards he had reached before. Unfortunately those standards slipped a bit again before he was injured and the constant turning in [which they all end up doing, and has to be coaching], was beginning to wind fans up again. No doubt has been missed though but i dont think he alone would have changed our fortunes that much.

I've blocked this season out....when did the constant cutting in begin?? Under lenny?? The same cutting in frimpong did and taylor and laxalt and eli....forrest was obviously doing what he and all the other wide players were told to do. Hopefully when he's back and kennedy is kicked out the back door at the end of the season we can have the forrest that was smashing it for club and Country back.

I personally don't think Forrest would have changed our fortunes to much this season tbh.
Not that I am questioning his ability, its more to do with how we have set up our team and at the tempo we have played.
We have tried the 352 and 4231 to accommodate Jamesie but without getting him the space for him to thrive on he can struggle like most of our players do.
Still an intelligent player and worthy of keeping a place in our squad and I believe if we were to go to a 343 formation in Scotland with him as 1 of the 3 up front then I could still see him being a big player for us

Back