How was the 10 stopped??

Lubos left peg

I'm hoping some of you older folk can tell me. I could Google it quite easily but I alway find it better to hear the experiences of the older generation. How was celtics 1st march to 10 in a row stopped? Was it as big a deal back in the 70s as it is now?? Was it as devastating for the hoops fans as it was for the scum when we stopped their quest for 10 in a row???

Funnily enough Lubo,a touched on this very thing last night/ this morning,cannae remember which thread,somethin tae dae wi' auld age,inebriation or a combination of both! but generally, it was a feeling of shrugged shoulders,it had to end sometime,but in those nine years,we went from being a romantic club sprinkled with legend, my grandfather would talk about Patsy Gallagher,Jimmy McGrory,etc, My auld man would rave about Charlie Tully,i first supported Celtic pre Jock Stein,which i call the 'gash years'! but during the first nine,we slapped a strong,competitive Scottish league stupid,dominated in europe,destroyed 'catenaccio' unleashed a new brand of football, (adopted by many clubs, including Holland!), became respected and feared,throughout Europe, became world renowned,the foundation of what we are todayHail Hail Celtic,YNWA โ˜˜ โ˜˜โ˜˜๐Ÿบ๐Ÿฅณ jeez need a beer noo!

Funnily enough Lubo,a touched on this very thing last night/ this morning,cannae remember which thread,somethin tae dae wi' auld age,inebriation or a combination of both! but generally, it was a feeling of shrugged shoulders,it had to end sometime,but in those nine years,we went from being a romantic club sprinkled with legend, my grandfather would talk about Patsy Gallagher,Jimmy McGrory,etc, My auld man would rave about Charlie Tully,i first supported Celtic pre Jock Stein,which i call the 'gash years'! but during the first nine,we slapped a strong,competitive Scottish league stupid,dominated in europe,destroyed 'catenaccio' unleashed a new brand of football, (adopted by many clubs, including Holland!), became respected and feared,throughout Europe, became world renowned,the foundation of what we are todayHail Hail Celtic,YNWA โ˜˜ โ˜˜โ˜˜๐Ÿบ๐Ÿฅณ jeez need a beer noo!

Did we have a poor season the year we lost the league and the 10?? Or did it go to the wire.....again, I know i could Google it but wheres the fun in that

Can't speak for everyone else but for me it was no big deal it was great lording it over the huns ,see winning the first 9 was a new thing to everyone it didn't hold the significance it does now

Maybe the internet social media and football blogs is helping it be a bigger thing than it really is back then you any footie news would be the pink results papers at night

plus i came here in 70 so came for the run in , glory hunter and all that

For me losing both cup finals in 73 was the start of our decline

Out of curiosity; would anyone swap growing up supporting Celtic during the current 9iar for our first 9iar?

I know I would. This has been an amazing time of complete domination, but the way MD puts it, by God, what a time that must have been to be a supporter!

Can't speak for everyone else but for me it was no big deal it was great lording it over the huns ,see winning the first 9 was a new thing to everyone it didn't hold the significance it does now

Maybe the internet social media and football blogs is helping it be a bigger thing than it really is back then you any footie news would be the pink results papers at night

plus i came here in 70 so came for the run in , glory hunter and all that

For me losing both cup finals in 73 was the start of our decline

Who won the league the year we lost it? Was it the scum? I take it the significance of the 1st 9 was only realised when the huns achieved it after us then...

Out of curiosity; would anyone swap growing up supporting Celtic during the current 9iar for our first 9iar?

I know I would. This has been an amazing time of complete domination, but the way MD puts it, by God, what a time that must have been to be a supporter!
Wouldn't swap either. The 1st 9 were some of the biggest legends of our club. Tbh growing up i was accustomed to us winning every game. The few times we got beat at CP i would walk home with my dad almost in tears. Totally shocked. Almost did the 10 but I'm living the here and now and like everybody else willing us on. IF we do this i seriously don't think it will ever be be beaten. Unless we move to the EPL ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿบ

Would probably agree with you Fader. To watch some of those guys play would be amazing. The way I've heard my uncles, dad and grandad talk about some of our legends...almost mythical.

Wouldn't swap either. The 1st 9 were some of the biggest legends of our club. Tbh growing up i was accustomed to us winning every game. The few times we got beat at CP i would walk home with my dad almost in tears. Totally shocked. Almost did the 10 but I'm living the here and now and like everybody else willing us on. IF we do this i seriously don't think it will ever be be beaten. Unless we move to the EPL ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿบ

Your opinion doesn't count stevie...us young uns can only dream of seeing these guys in the flesh. You got to kick a ball about with them, didn't you??

Think it was a case of lethargy and transition Lubo,the 'Lions' were gone,think big Billy retired that season,the quality street gang were comin through, but we lost the likes of Davie Hay and George Connolly,we won both cups,but got pumped out early in Europe,the team's performances in the league,were pretty uninspiring to put it mildly, oddly enough 10 in a row,did'nt seem to inspire the fan's, attendance,were decreasing,the usual die hards were there giving the team 100%,but,the atmosphere had dissipated,the team performance affected the mood of the crowd,the lack of atmosphere affected the players,the highlight of the season was getting absolutely blootered at the cup final when we pumped the Hibees 6-3 and Dixie's hatrick!HH ๐Ÿบ ๐Ÿฅณ

Think it was a case of lethargy and transition Lubo,the 'Lions' were gone,think big Billy retired that season,the quality street gang were comin through, but we lost the likes of Davie Hay and George Connolly,we won both cups,but got pumped out early in Europe,the team's performances in the league,were pretty uninspiring to put it mildly, oddly enough 10 in a row,did'nt seem to inspire the fan's, attendance,were decreasing,the usual die hards were there giving the team 100%,but,the atmosphere had dissipated,the team performance affected the mood of the crowd,the lack of atmosphere affected the players,the highlight of the season was getting absolutely blootered at the cup final when we pumped the Hibees 6-3 and Dixie's hatrick!HH ๐Ÿบ ๐Ÿฅณ
I was there with my dad MD. Whit a fekn day๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ€

Back