If Celtic wasn't in your DNA ?

Frank Owen

I was having a blether with my brother this morning and we touched on how money has utterly changed football. I actually came to the conclusion that, If I didn't have such an emotional attachment to Celtic, I most likely would lose interest in the game. Or maybe more accurate to say the professional game. I've stated somewhere else that I don't have any belief in any kind of supreme being; but I quite like the saying....".God first makes mad that which he destroys". All hypothetical of course. Just wondered if any of you felt the same ?

That is an interesting point, Frank. I didn't have Celtic in my DNA. My family were fans of the old Airdrieonians. I was led to the light by a gang of lads that I fell in with. However, you are right about having an emotional connection with the club. My five cents worth is whether my emotional connection is with the football club itself or with the fans? For me the balance ìs tipping towards my Celtic Family rather than the team or management. I doubt I will ever lose interest in them.

If you didn't have a deep emotional connection to your club - not just Celtic supporters - there would be very , very few professional clubs in the world .

How many clubs in the world actually win anything ?

Look at St Johnstone - two trophies in their entire history - so for decade after decade their support ( small admittedly ) kept turning up with no prospect of EVER winning a trophy . Then in the last few years - double success ! I am happy for them !

So , regardless of the season we have just had/having we should be grateful for the successes we have had ( and will have again , no doubt ! ).

HH

If I didn’t have Celtic I would have to support Her Indoors more.
it’s been in ma DNA from my Gran all the rest of the Family are Hibs daft.
her Son Ma Uncle George was the Chairman of a local CSC and took me along to see the Hoops even to a Euro/nite
And the Scum from first sight to last breath.
wee aside Ma uncle was forced to resign as a players night wee had Paul Wilson who both me and my Uncle really liked as a player was very under rated by all.
anyhoo Paul was running late and uncle trying to be funny said his Elephant had broken doon at Harthill service station.
Local paper had a go so did ma uncle didn’t sto us going to see the Bhoys
Canny wait fur the joy to seeing them again
Mon the Hoops

HH 👏🍀

If I didn’t have Celtic I would have to support Her Indoors more.
it’s been in ma DNA from my Gran all the rest of the Family are Hibs daft.
her Son Ma Uncle George was the Chairman of a local CSC and took me along to see the Hoops even to a Euro/nite
And the Scum from first sight to last breath.
wee aside Ma uncle was forced to resign as a players night wee had Paul Wilson who both me and my Uncle really liked as a player was very under rated by all.
anyhoo Paul was running late and uncle trying to be funny said his Elephant had broken doon at Harthill service station.
Local paper had a go so did ma uncle didn’t sto us going to see the Bhoys
Canny wait fur the joy to seeing them again
Mon the Hoops

HH 👏🍀
I must admit a wee tear in my eye when the hibbies beat the hun, cup final 2016?
When they were singing "sunshine on Leith" fkin brilliant.

That is an interesting point, Frank. I didn't have Celtic in my DNA. My family were fans of the old Airdrieonians. I was led to the light by a gang of lads that I fell in with. However, you are right about having an emotional connection with the club. My five cents worth is whether my emotional connection is with the football club itself or with the fans? For me the balance ìs tipping towards my Celtic Family rather than the team or management. I doubt I will ever lose interest in them.
Hi PB, you are of course correct when you say it's not a question of actual DNA. That I guess has become one of those terms we use to describe something that simply can't be changed. As I say, it's all hypothetical. As for the Celtic family ? Yip, you're spot on; it's the feeling of belonging.

Just as a wee after thought, I don't know if your user name has some connection with the city of Prague, I can only assume it does. It's a wonderful place, a walk along Charles the 4th bridge is something everybody should experience.

If you didn't have a deep emotional connection to your club - not just Celtic supporters - there would be very , very few professional clubs in the world .

How many clubs in the world actually win anything ?

Look at St Johnstone - two trophies in their entire history - so for decade after decade their support ( small admittedly ) kept turning up with no prospect of EVER winning a trophy . Then in the last few years - double success ! I am happy for them !

So , regardless of the season we have just had/having we should be grateful for the successes we have had ( and will have again , no doubt ! ).

HH
Some great points Millsy, I find it very easy to be a Celtic supporter, and it's actually absolutely nothing to do with winning trophies. Although, of course, Enjoy that too. But yes, I take my hat off to fans of all clubs.....Well ???? Nearly all.

I must admit a wee tear in my eye when the hibbies beat the hun, cup final 2016?
When they were singing "sunshine on Leith" fkin brilliant.
That was fantastic that rendition of sunshine on leith though it took me over 7 months to see it and I live 30 minutes away from hampden, all I saw at the time was the rangers players were attacked ( bs) and the hibs fans 'friendly ' pitch invasion. There was nothing on the west coast about the fantastic rendition afterwards , a biased media for you right there.

Celtic in my DNA..........first Celtic top when i was 3 (centenery year!)watched the club struggle through the 90s until Fergus came in and saved the day .....never really looked back since have we?

Always despised the hums for as far back ias i remember (i blame you da)😂and despise the tribute act just as much .HH

Watched it as it happened left the game when they went 2-1 up thought that’s it then switched over just as the corner was taken ya fuckun dancer
Then the game ended then the peepo went offonone the rest is History
But have to say the Hibs fans rendition of Sunshine on Leith had the Hairs on the back of my Neck standing. Was great to see the sheer joy on the fans faces that and the looks on the huns pusses sheer class

HH 👏

Hi PB, you are of course correct when you say it's not a question of actual DNA. That I guess has become one of those terms we use to describe something that simply can't be changed. As I say, it's all hypothetical. As for the Celtic family ? Yip, you're spot on; it's the feeling of belonging.

Just as a wee after thought, I don't know if your user name has some connection with the city of Prague, I can only assume it does. It's a wonderful place, a walk along Charles the 4th bridge is something everybody should experience.
I have been living here in Prague these past 22 years. I could not imagine living anywhere else.

My Grandad on my Dads side was Irish Catholic....He came over to Scotland and married my Gran who was Prod......and she insited that the family would be brought up prods......which they were....When I was wee, I went to a Prod School....My Dad supported Hibs...famous five and all that....and I remember we got a radiogram(marconi)....and the only three LP's my Dad had was South Pacific, Jim Reeves and Irish Rebel Songs.....At this time, my next door neighbour, used to take me to Tynecastle as he was a Hearts supporter....and also wanted me to be one....The only player I liked was Wullie Wallace....so when Jock Stein bought him ...I followed him.......Glad I did.....mind watchin the Big Cup final on the TV.......etc etc.....The only downside I had, being Celtic Daft....was at Secondary school...Proddy school....I was one of few Celtic supporters.... infact I tattooed my forearm CELTIC with indian ink.....I got bullied tae fuck basically....hated it.... never went.....mind the headmaster comin to ma hoose and tellin ma Dad....Its not worth him comin back....he's never there....so that was the school days over.......They stole ma education because I supported Celtic... So.....not in ma DNA Frank...but in ma Heart .... 🍀🍀

My Grandad on my Dads side was Irish Catholic....He came over to Scotland and married my Gran who was Prod......and she insited that the family would be brought up prods......which they were....When I was wee, I went to a Prod School....My Dad supported Hibs...famous five and all that....and I remember we got a radiogram(marconi)....and the only three LP's my Dad had was South Pacific, Jim Reeves and Irish Rebel Songs.....At this time, my next door neighbour, used to take me to Tynecastle as he was a Hearts supporter....and also wanted me to be one....The only player I liked was Wullie Wallace....so when Jock Stein bought him ...I followed him.......Glad I did.....mind watchin the Big Cup final on the TV.......etc etc.....The only downside I had, being Celtic Daft....was at Secondary school...Proddy school....I was one of few Celtic supporters.... infact I tattooed my forearm CELTIC with indian ink.....I got bullied tae fuck basically....hated it.... never went.....mind the headmaster comin to ma hoose and tellin ma Dad....Its not worth him comin back....he's never there....so that was the school days over.......They stole ma education because I supported Celtic... So.....not in ma DNA Frank...but in ma Heart .... 🍀🍀
A brilliant story lennono, but my use of the DNA thing is purely a euphemism, as in something I can't change. I probably should've made it a bit clearer.

Not me mate. I didn't even know such a bloke lived over here 😎
Aye, there was a bloke who phoned regularly, very knowledgeable about the teams and players there. I stopped listening to it a couple of years back, so don't know if he's still there. Hope you don't mind me asking as it seemed a possibility.

Back