If Celtic wasn't in your DNA ?

All my mums side are Catholic. My granda on her side spends more time at Chapel than he does at home. All my dad's side are prods. Could have been very different for me. My granda on my dads side wasn't into football but he was an uber proddy, and although he is a very different man now, and I love him to death and I've never seen a bad side to him, I believe he was a very different man in the 70s and early 80s. He warned my dad to stay away from Catholics. Naturally my dad went to prod schools and supported the huns till he was about 13. That all changed when he went to paradise with his celtic fan mates. He fell in love with the hoops then....ive heard the story that when my mum was pregnant with my big sister my granda was in a pub telling anyone who would listen that "none of his fucking grandkids will be Catholic" to that my mum, the fiercest person I know, told him that all his grandkids will be Catholic and if he didn't like it he would never have anything to do with any of them, and if he said another word on it she would kick his baws....my dad, who isn't religious and doesn't care either way, didn't have a say in it. 🤣 So we are all Catholic due to that incident and we are Celtic fans because my dad saw the light at 13 years old......again, can I add, that my old granda is one of the best men I know. I think he changed the day he held my big sister. 🍀🍀

Grew up in the black country in my Younger days i was an Albion supporter (west brom) my old fella was a hibee used to go the hawthorns and watched some great players in the 70s , the rest of his side and my maws side were irish decent and full blown hoops fans (there's aye a black sheep)

First time a saw the hoops i wanted the strip my granda used to visit every xmas and that year he brought my brother a hoops strip and me a west brom one he tell us we'd be going to paradise when we got up the road ,always thought '''can't be that far''our area was full of the first boat people and the irish navies workin on the bull ring and the spaghetti juction everytime we went up the park past the pub the roar would go up about the fella wearing the hoops

years later we were up the road sadly my granda had passed but my uncle took me and my brothers to our first game ,since then a bit like lennono said they were in the heart

Last edited by a moderator:
Grew up in the black country in my Younger days i was an Albion supporter (west brom) my old fella was a hibee used to go the hawthorns and watched some great players in the 70s , the rest of his side and my mawas side were irish decent and full blown hoops fans (theres aye a black sheep)

First time a saw the hoops i wanted the strip my granda used to visit every xmas and that year he brought my brother a hoops strip and me a west brom one he tell us we'd be going to paradise when we got up the road ,always thought '''can't be that far''our area was full of the first boat people and the irish navies workin on the bull ring and the spaghetti juction everytime we went up the park past the pub the roar would go up about the fella wearing the hoops

years later we were up the road sadly my granda had passed but my uncle took me and my brothers to our first game ,since then a bit like lennono said they were in the heart
Always knew you were a big soft lump o
Cotton candy floss great wee Story Kelly
Hats off to yi
Once yi see the Hoops it sticks in yir Heart 💚 👏
Mon the Hoops

HH 🍀

Always knew you were a big soft lump o
Cotton candy floss great wee Story Kelly
Hats off to yi
Once yi see the Hoops it sticks in yir Heart 💚 👏
Mon the Hoops

HH 🍀
It does it's kinda weird cause i'd talk to my mates down there and explain what it was like gave up in the end the first game captured me but my first european night sealed the deal , it never leaves you the further away you go it's stronger remember being on the last boat out of sydney heading to my digs in Manly ,just off the ship and i found the mornings paper searched for the result of the 88 cup final ,and danced around like a maddie all by myself

The Mrs and me were talking about our own DNA and how it mixed. Then we realised that without the Irish Famine the chances of my Scots DNA mixing with my Irish DNA are very slim. The same applies to the Mrs. Without the Aremenian genocide her Armenian DNA was very unlikely to mix with her American DNA. We both are the result of tragedies that befell our ancestors. Would we exist without the horror our ancestors lived through? Then we both realised the weed we are smoking is fuckin rare.

My Ma's granda Archie Kyle played for rangers a decent CF just after 1900s one of the original catholic 3 possibly the first to play for them. I mind my ma tell me he had to keep it quiet or hed be out. Hes Frankie Millers granda ( mas cousin ) as well. My sister has a photo of him in the rangers team photo on her wall, shes not interested in football. The catholic side and Celtic kn my family has always been so even though my great grandfather played for them. I know my ma went to sacred heart school in the east end and my das side of the family always been Celtic. I remember a neighbour my older brothers pal took me to see a rangers v Dundee United 81 Scottish cup final replay I was 7 or 8 and got to see the great Davie Cooper score an awesome free kick, great atmosphere but unlike that of what I was used to still a great experience. I was never pushed into following Celtic though I was encouraged to play and win at the game. I think Celtic is just part of the family or I should say my family is , always has been part of the Celtic family. So I guess it's in my DNA aye and thank my lucky stars HH

Don't remember much of my first game my dad took me to, when I got home mum saked what I thought & I told her dad swore, never swore in the house so first time I had heard him do it. Mum said I was never going back, I did getting lifted over the turnstiles on the bus into game just felt right. Later on my own season ticket. Don't go now as I live in Australia but when I was last home took my partner with me to a European game 5-1, she loved it, the singing by the GB, next time she will demanding we go again, Miss going so mush.

Some absolutely terrific responses to this thread folks, so first I would just like to say thanks to each and every one of you for taking the time to tell your own particular story. Replies from all parts of the globe; Czech Republic, Australia, America, Canada; bloody hell, I'll never moan about the traffic I encounter travelling from North Ayrshire to Paradise ever again. I'm humbled. Regardless of religion, colour, culture, it's just a complete honour to be part of The Celtic Diaspora. Again, thanks to all of you. HH

Some absolutely terrific responses to this thread folks, so first I would just like to say thanks to each and every one of you for taking the time to tell your own particular story. Replies from all parts of the globe; Czech Republic, Australia, America, Canada; bloody hell, I'll never moan about the traffic I encounter travelling from North Ayrshire to Paradise ever again. I'm humbled. Regardless of religion, colour, culture, it's just a complete honour to be part of The Celtic Diaspora. Again, thanks to all of you. HH
👏👏

....and thank YOU for the questions. I have enjoyed this thread very much.

I was having a blether with my brother this morning and we touched on how money has utterly changed football. I actually came to the conclusion that, If I didn't have such an emotional attachment to Celtic, I most likely would lose interest in the game. Or maybe more accurate to say the professional game. I've stated somewhere else that I don't have any belief in any kind of supreme being; but I quite like the saying....".God first makes mad that which he destroys". All hypothetical of course. Just wondered if any of you felt the same ?
DNA most definitely in my make up Frank, Dad took me with him to Celtic park from a young age and when I became less of a pain in the arse he started taking me to away games.
Like you I believe the emotional attachment has kept me going all these years later, but for the fact I now go with my own son to every home game and a few away I would most probably be in the category of big game attendee, the champions league ( ha) in my opinion has ruined football due to the almighty chase for money, mediocre players earn a sinful amount and corruption is rife amongst the hierarchy in the CL and it's now impossible for a club from one of the unfashionable countries to win it.

But still nothing beats going to see Celtic even if I have to que to get the lift up to my seat in the North stand upper.In his later years I took my old man to games in his wheelchair and I've a feeling my sons will probably do the same for me, around the time my father passed Celtic were selling off bits of turf from the park, so it made sense to me to buy one and put it on his grave.

A good few years ago when I lived in Dunoon a good friend and fellow diehard Celtic fan said to me he sometimes wished his father hadn't introduced him to Celtic as he feels an obligation to attend ( he still goes by the way) but I didn't really get what he was saying, but I kind of do now, its not that you dont want to go, it just feels wrong to not go.

No matter though I'm pretty sure only ill health will stop me attending.

Just a wee tale on the health side of things, when Fergus rebuilt Celtic park my seat was in the North stand upper ( still is) and I used to joke when going up the many many stairs that one day they would be the death of me, well pre season 2'n Half yrs ago and our first game back I struggled badly with the stairs and over the coming weeks it got worse, so I finally took myself to the docs and within 3months I was whisked in for a quadruple bypass and the surgeon told me I was lucky I came to them because if I had let it go much longer I might not have been so lucky, so from me complaining about the stairs I can now credit them with saving my life. That operation was 2yrs ago last week and I'm mostly right as rain.

Yea its in my DNA alright.

H.H

DNA most definitely in my make up Frank, Dad took me with him to Celtic park from a young age and when I became less of a pain in the arse he started taking me to away games.
Like you I believe the emotional attachment has kept me going all these years later, but for the fact I now go with my own son to every home game and a few away I would most probably be in the category of big game attendee, the champions league ( ha) in my opinion has ruined football due to the almighty chase for money, mediocre players earn a sinful amount and corruption is rife amongst the hierarchy in the CL and it's now impossible for a club from one of the unfashionable countries to win it.

But still nothing beats going to see Celtic even if I have to que to get the lift up to my seat in the North stand upper.In his later years I took my old man to games in his wheelchair and I've a feeling my sons will probably do the same for me, around the time my father passed Celtic were selling off bits of turf from the park, so it made sense to me to buy one and put it on his grave.

A good few years ago when I lived in Dunoon a good friend and fellow diehard Celtic fan said to me he sometimes wished his father hadn't introduced him to Celtic as he feels an obligation to attend ( he still goes by the way) but I didn't really get what he was saying, but I kind of do now, its not that you dont want to go, it just feels wrong to not go.

No matter though I'm pretty sure only ill health will stop me attending.

Just a wee tale on the health side of things, when Fergus rebuilt Celtic park my seat was in the North stand upper ( still is) and I used to joke when going up the many many stairs that one day they would be the death of me, well pre season 2'n Half yrs ago and our first game back I struggled badly with the stairs and over the coming weeks it got worse, so I finally took myself to the docs and within 3months I was whisked in for a quadruple bypass and the surgeon told me I was lucky I came to them because if I had let it go much longer I might not have been so lucky, so from me complaining about the stairs I can now credit them with saving my life. That operation was 2yrs ago last week and I'm mostly right as rain.

Yea its in my DNA alright.

H.H
Hi 50 Shades, your reply made for a very enjoyable read. I think in many ways there's a similarity running through most of the replies to this thread; and you've summed it up perfectly...emotional attachment, a feeling of belonging to something, well, very very special.
I think if some alien was to drop in on us earthlings and try to analyse the extent of our emotional attachment, he/she/it , would probably think it was irrational. But it's very definitely, permanently, set in stone. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm really glad your health issues are on the mend, I have a younger brother who has MS, and really the only time he gets out of the house is when I take him out. Sadly he's no longer fit enough to go to the games. A massive chunk of his life has been taken from him.

You lived in Dunoon you say, that's where my wife is from, mind you, we were out the other day and we met an old school friend of hers she hadn't seen for many years....my wife introduced me as her FIRST husband. I think maybe she's trying to tell me something. Take care mate. HH

You cannot beat Celtic nostalgia , even the nostalgia that you or I might not have lived through, we'll come good again, I can see a repeat of when we took the 10 from them , they won the title the next season HH

I think there’s a Celtic tsunami coming.....the new CEO is a man who gets things done.....the clean out is underway.....the new manager and coaching staff will excite the Support I do believe.....we are going on a new adventure and we will be gone from the SPFL within 5 years I further believe.....lessons have been learned.....strap in we’re going on a new and wonderful journey.....imo...😀

I think there’s a Celtic tsunami coming.....the new CEO is a man who gets things done.....the clean out is underway.....the new manager and coaching staff will excite the Support I do believe.....we are going on a new adventure and we will be gone from the SPFL within 5 years I further believe.....lessons have been learned.....strap in we’re going on a new and wonderful journey.....imo...😀
Like the sound of that HH

Members online

Latest posts

Back