If our players aren't taking a pay cut during this, they need to have a word with themselves.

English PFA now weaponising the NHS - a crass statement

The players and some folks still dont get it. Non playing staff furloughed to save club finances - in effect shoring up millionares salaries

Someone elses opinions on an other site in reply to others posts seems a reasonable argument put across re high earners actually contributing more not less to the Gov.

Corrupt official 4th April 2020 at 18:51

bordersdon 4th April 2020 at 18:05

I know there are a few Celtic fans on here. No doubt some of you will have seen this article by one of your own?
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18358189.kevin-mckenna-money-grabbing-celtic-make-ashamed-fan/
Don't shoot the messenger please!
—————————————————————-
I don't think the messenger needs shot BD, and I don't disagree, but there does appear to be a glass ceiling wrt who should contribute/sacrifice more. I lifted this extract for example……

"What contributes more to the government, the NHS/police…etc….. A PL player taking a pay cut that stays with the clubs owners or paying more than 45% tax through PAYE on a large salary which goes directly to the government?.. Let’s take a look at the average PL player- £3m a year…£1.4m goes directly to tax Let’s cut the wage by 80%- £600,000 a year…£270,000 goes to tax Now x500 players £1.4m = £700,000,000m in tax £270,000 = £135,000,000m in tax Which one is preferred? How about the government asks certain people who own airlines and are worth billions to start paying tax, or the sportspeople who are tax exiles. Now what about bankers?"
http://etims.net/?p=15489 

Reports vary regarding quantities, but there are a minimum of 54 billionaires in the UK, (probably more). Would they even notice a 50% one off tax to help out in what is a disease which may directly affect them?.
It could reasonably be argued that they will soon have it back again when/if this situation passes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliver...illionaires-are-there-in-the-uk/#3c9589119b75
What cannot be argued is that a one-off supertax on the uber wealthy would raise more money for the government in the fight, whilst cutting players wages actually deprives the govt, but does leave money in the clubs,…… coincidentally owned by the uber wealthy.

Some of the staff at celtic park are employed on 0hr contracts and others on min wage also when celtic put some on min wage they changed bonus system to stop them having to pay that our shocking YES players and Directors should all take wage cuts We are repeatedly told we are one family well lets fucking see it shown in our actions remember Actions speak louder than words

What cannot be argued is that a one-off supertax on the uber wealthy would raise more money for the government in the fight, whilst cutting players wages actually deprives the govt, but does leave money in the clubs,…… coincidentally owned by the uber wealthy.

I still think in some way we are missing the point - this is an argument about a company ( in this case a football club) doing the right thing for the business - Liverpool like some other clubs have decided to use the governments furlough scheme. This means the government are paying the wages of non playing staff - depriving the government and keeping money in the clubs - money they will use to pay the players.

In the case where a Business believes that it needs to put some low paid staff on the the governments furlough scheme to save the business but still continues to pay all of the salary of its highest earners is a business taking the piss out of the government scheme. The business could use some of the high earners salary to pay the low earners and save the money in the governments coffers.

Last edited:
I still think in some way we are missing the point - this is an argument about a company ( in this case a football club) doing the right thing for the business - Liverpool like some other clubs have decided to use the governments furlough scheme. This means the government are paying the wages of non playing staff - depriving the government and keeping money in the clubs - money they will use to pay the players.

In the case where a Business believes that it needs to put some -playing staff on the the governments furlough scheme to save the business but still continues to pay all of the salary of its highest earners is a business taking the piss out of the government scheme.
I dont think we are missing the point
10 people on £300 a week
Gov give like 240 and club give 60 and is taxable and NIC as a wage
10 Players on 20000 week and taxed which gives the greater to the pot

As you say
"This means the government are paying the wages of non playing staff - depriving the government and keeping money in the clubs - money they will use to pay the players."

only thing is the money to the players is taxable as a PAYE and is more than the Gov are dishing out and another thing the money dished out is for the economy to circulate so for every penny spent in essentials then the stores are taxed and so it goes on and on, the gov still get tax from everything spent.

People are painting some players as bad guys and do not realise this pandemic is world wide and some countries do not have our same system of care, some players might be subsidising their own familes and relatives who have lost their incomes and jobs,
We need to keep clear from the blame game a lot of players are stranded here whilst their loved one suffer in Spain, Italy etc.

Last edited:
I dont think we are missing the point
10 people on £300 a week
Gov give like 240 and club give 60 and is taxable and NIC as a wage
10 Players on 20000 week and taxed which gives the greater to the pot

As you say
"This means the government are paying the wages of non playing staff - depriving the government and keeping money in the clubs - money they will use to pay the players."

only thing is the money to the players is taxable as a PAYE and is more than the Gov are dishing out and another thing the money dished out is for the economy to circulate so for every penny spent in essentials then the stores are taxed and so it goes on and on, the gov still get tax from everything spent.

Your assuming that the high earning players are being taxed as a normal company employee - they are certainly not a normal employee and they will not be paying standard rates of tax. Normal company employess do not have image rights, sportwear deals etc

Most high end players will be directors of their own limited companies running legal tax reduction schemes with expensive accountants where most of their 'pay' is extracted from their company with dividends not PAYE - its just what happens to whether you are an IT contractor or a footballer.

I still think the point is being missed the - the government is giving out 78 billion to keep employees and companies running - the PFA's statement that 200 million is being given to the government to 'help the NHS' by continuing to pay footballers their full wage is laughable as is sad.

Last edited:
Your assuming that the high earning players are being taxed as a normal company employee - they are certainly not a normal employee and they will not be paying standard rates of tax. Normal company employess do not have image rights, sportwear deals etc

Most high end players will be directors of their own limited companies running legal tax reduction schemes with expensive accountants where most of their 'pay' is extracted from their company with dividends not PAYE - its just what happens to whether you are an IT contractor or a footballer.

I still think the point is being missed the - the government is giving out 78 billion to keep employees and companies running - the PFA's statement that 200 million is being given to the government to 'help the NHS' by continuing to pay footballers their full wage is laughable as is sad.

Think next week it will be the deludomol tablets, we have the Sun out spying on people been out whilst they are themselves are out spying, we have footballers been chastised as villians whilst parasites sit in castles with cheap bits of paper signs stating we love you NHS, we have arseholes blaming China and arseholes burning telphone masts.
Meanwhile the wizard in the Whitehouse is fucking the whole world with his Ali Baba china company and is trading with the people he blames, wonder what else could go wrong, the huns taliking about legal cases if celtic get the title and Hearts the same when both do not have two bob between them.
Thank fuck i kept that emergency acid tab, see you in 2025

Untitled.jpg

Follow follow a sheep talking about the sheep, a hun radio caller as well not got a scooby
Blue Goose

Surely after "sell out Saturday" Dolly would have zillions in the bank? Is the manager still continuing to splash out on St Tropez tan cream during this crisis?

When they go into Administration what league do they drop into? Third?

1586106262590.png

You don't drop down, if you exit with a CVA, you get a point deduction.

The reason your new club RIFC started from the bottom is because it never got a CVA approved, the tax man liqiudated your old club.
If you had did what Hearts did and bought the club and agreed the CVA you would have had a points deduction, but the taxman decided you had fucked every cunt in the country including the Queen so he gave you the death sentence.

Its a shame The board, the coaching staff and players don’t hold the same compassion and charity as the fans. The £150,000 donated by Celtic was great but that sum is a pittance for them in truth and that amount should be a weekly donation, with all of the above mentioned contributing. Why hasn’t any of our leaders at the club took the bull by the horns and done this and announced it, this would take pressure off there back. A majority of our Board, Coaching staff and players are on more than £10,000 a week, so there’s no excuse. In my eyes it’s down to either they are selfish or there donating anonymously. I hope it’s the latter.
Greed or selfishness is rearing its ugly head in the epl. The 20 captains of each club have reportedly created a whats app group to communicate with each other, regarding the possibility that they may well be asked to take a pay cut. (They ) are saying that they shouldn't be asked to take a pay cut, even wayne Rooney coming out saying its disgraceful and players would rather donate money themselves than have it taken from them. All very distasteful, especially from Rooney, one of the richest footballers on the planet. I hope this is the beginning of the collapse of the £ in the game. Stories like this make me sick.

Members online

No members online now.

Back