In the cold light of day

BILLCOWIE1958

More than 24 hours after the match at Rugby Park ended there have been plenty of opinions aired about the incidents during yesterday's game

Mealy mouthed journalists broadcasters pundits and players have all had their say

The Kilmarnock Board held a meeting tonight and have come up with the demand that they want Celtic to pay for damaged seats in their stands

They actually needed to have a meeting to come up with this idea ??

As I said in an earlier post today Kilmarnock as the Home Club were responsible for the Security yesterday Stewarding and Policing

If their Security arrangements were not sufficient or efficient to control fans then perhaps there should be an enquiry into why their Security was so lax and slipshod

The pitch invaders looked to be mostly kids who were expressing their joy A little over exuberance perhaps but hardly malicious

If they insist that they want Celtic to pay for the damaged seats then Celtic should simply tell them that we will not accept tickets for future games at Rugby Park

If Kilmarnock.want to sell tickets to Celtic fans then they can arrange the sale of such tickets Celtic after all won't be making anything from the ticket sale

Celtic's revenue from visiting fans to Parkhead is negligible especially since we cut SEVCO's allocation in a title for tat measure

What these Provincial Clubs fail to admit is that without the support of both CELTIC and SEVCO fans visiting their Stadia they would go to the wall For years these Clubs have been bumping up ticket prices when both big Glasgow Clubs visited

So I say fuck them They make plenty out of us so ensure their security is up to scratch We pay them a premium and we should expect to be kept safe

HH?

Strangely , their Board's statement ended with them stating that they were doing everything they could ''to maximise the number of of our fans cheering the team on during home matches .''
This , to me , implies that they are considering restricting away fans , does it not ?

Very strange considering whenever I view Killie V Celtic matches there are vast areas of empty seats in their main stand - why are these not being taken up by Killie supporters ? Hmmm ?
Sounds to me like pointless sabre rattling by a Board who know that without away supporters they will be bankrupt .

*sigh*

The home club, Killie in this instance, is indeed responsible for stewards, security, and policing if necessary. However, regardless of the adequacy or inadequacy of those arrangements, our fans - and nobody but our fans - are responsible for their own actions.

If there were crazy people, or a mob, that stormed the local Tesco the looted and vandalized the place, it would be ridiculous for them to absolve themselves responsibility under the false pretense that Tesco didn’t provide sufficient security to stop them. It’s a ludicrous arguement to make, and the fact that we’re transferring this from Tesco to a football stadium doesn’t make it any less ludicrous.

Killie had responsibility for stewarding and security arrangements. But our fans had a responsibility to behave in an acceptable manner (not difficult!) by refraining from throwing coins, damaging property, and - allegedly - hurling sectarian insults toward opposing team player(s).

Can someone tell me is calling someone a orange bastard sectarian? If so then half the world has been sectarian to Donald Trump. Celtic fans are not sectarian. Singing Irish folk songs or the rebs is not sectarian. We don't sing songs about killing prods. We don't attack their religion or their beliefs..so I completely agree with you post Ben but Celtic fans are not sectarian. The Scottish media want to tar us with the hun brush. In their eyes that allows 50,000 of the scum to sing about us all being peaodos and wanting to wade in our blood. So yes, we shouldn't break chairs, although I'd imaging the chairs were broken by accident during the rush forward to celebrate, that's how it looked to me from the pictures I've seen. And yes we shouldn't throw coins, although the amount of abuse Boyd has giving us I don't feel sorry for the fat cunt. But we certainly aren't sectarian IMO.

The whole response has been a calculated attack on the club, to deflect from their utter anguish at realising they’re beloved team are nowhere, again.

There have been numerous pitch invasions by sevconians celebrating the winning of the league, the CL, the World Cup, The Nobel Peace Prize, Strictly and Countdown Champion of Champions.

Have we witnessed the same level of outrage, with these season defining moments from their team? If there has then I must have missed it. The seats that were broken were not through anger, or vandalism, they were broken through fans erupting and surging as we moved 8 points ahead and all but left their team for dead.

Should Celtic pay for any damage? Yes we should as a matter of principal. Remember we had to withhold money from Sevco because they were looking to get away with their fans wrecking the toilets at CP. Can you imagine the column inches if we had done the same? That seemed to go under their radar. As everything that shows their club up always does. Nothing to see, move on.

Imagine this scenario if you will. We draw with St Johnstone on the Saturday. Sevco have a difficult away game at Killie to go 8 points clear and effectively win the league and they score a last gasp winner. Bedlam.

Response to that bedlam.

Magnificent win. Sevco wrap up title. Stevie G for PM. Oh it’s good to be a sevconian. What now for Rogers? Pitch invasion a natural explosion of joy. Are the Killie seats made out of the cheap plastic they use for their pitch? . Innocent Sevconians could have been injured by seats not fit for purpose.

You can bet your left nut it would have been hailed as the second coming. The focus would have centred entirely on the football and then winning. It wouldn’t have been a scrappy goal, no, it would have been synonymous with sevco’s never say die attitude, never giving in, aye ready triumphant winner that washed away them dying and returning from the dead to win it in style.

The seats would have never been mentioned as a failure of the fans. But as a natural consequence of excitement and relief.

We do it and you would like we set the place on fire. For supporters of a club whose dna is still sectarian calling out anyone for that is beyond rich. It’s Sheikh rich level.

The only redeeming aspect of their hysterical response, has been the utter joy it should give us all in relation to the abject misery we have plummeted them into. They are lying in a heap. All their delusions scattered around them like empty cans of Super lager after a sash sesh.

They had gone all in. They brought in Defoe and Davis and this was greeted with a certainty they would propel their team to glory. At the same time calling into question our acquisitions. It reminded me of when Lubo arrived the same week Chicken Heart Hendry turned up at EBT HQ. Lubo who? They asked. Well, we all know how that turned out and yet again their hopes overstretched reality. Davis and Defoe will be similar to Hendry. A total waste of money. Their hopes for the two geriatrics are lying on their arse as our signings have delivered.

The pain. Focus on the pain. Focus on them waking up on Monday knowing they are finished. Read headlines in the Ranger like. Can Sevco beat Killie to Reignite their season? Reignite? They were too for three days. Ok the DVD sold a few copies, but they have been shit. We know it and they do too. Thats whats killing them. This was theorie chance after we made an arse of summer signings. We actually stopped to let them catch up a bit. A lesson needs to be learned there, yet they still failed.

Now all they have is us getting possibly mauled by Valencia and having to pay for 150 seats.

As much as it irks me of their double standards, and it does, I console myself in the warm glow of their abject pain at us, moving inexorably toward 10 and more in a row.

As I read their shit there is one thought in my mind.

Are ye ragin?

And by fuck they are. Ragin, spewing, bereft, bewildered and second.

Get used to it Sevco. We haven’t even started yet. You will one day look back and pine for the days when it was only 8.

If you ever find a bank that will take a risk on you in the future, you can take that prediction to them. IF we do what needs to be done in the summer then there’s nothing but a long road of anguish for you ahead. I can’t wait. HH

Can someone tell me is calling someone a orange bastard sectarian? If so then half the world has been sectarian to Donald Trump. Celtic fans are not sectarian. Singing Irish folk songs or the rebs is not sectarian. We don't sing songs about killing prods. We don't attack their religion or their beliefs..so I completely agree with you post Ben but Celtic fans are not sectarian. The Scottish media want to tar us with the hun brush. In their eyes that allows 50,000 of the scum to sing about us all being peaodos and wanting to wade in our blood. So yes, we shouldn't break chairs, although I'd imaging the chairs were broken by accident during the rush forward to celebrate, that's how it looked to me from the pictures I've seen. And yes we shouldn't throw coins, although the amount of abuse Boyd has giving us I don't feel sorry for the fat cunt. But we certainly aren't sectarian IMO.

Spot on Lubo, Calling someone an Orange bastard is not sectarian. Sectarian refers to religion. Sevco are sectarian with their songs about the pope and wading in the blood of Catholics. I have never ever heard an anti Protestant song anywhere ever. As far as I am aware, Orange is not a religion.
50,000 bigots singing anti Catholic and anti Irish songs, Sky have fuck all to say about it. Fat Boydie gets called an orange bastard and suddenly Sky got loads to say. Fuck Sky. Do not subscribe. One more time fuck SKY.
Money is the only weapon we have against these fucks. There are plenty of websites showing futba for free.
HH Rich

Last edited:
*sigh*

The home club, Killie in this instance, is indeed responsible for stewards, security, and policing if necessary. However, regardless of the adequacy or inadequacy of those arrangements, our fans - and nobody but our fans - are responsible for their own actions.

If there were crazy people, or a mob, that stormed the local Tesco the looted and vandalized the place, it would be ridiculous for them to absolve themselves responsibility under the false pretense that Tesco didn’t provide sufficient security to stop them. It’s a ludicrous arguement to make, and the fact that we’re transferring this from Tesco to a football stadium doesn’t make it any less ludicrous.

Killie had responsibility for stewarding and security arrangements. But our fans had a responsibility to behave in an acceptable manner (not difficult!) by refraining from throwing coins, damaging property, and - allegedly - hurling sectarian insults toward opposing team player(s).
One of or the most sensible and honest posts I've read on this or any forum on football I've read in 2 years
There is not one single word in your statement that I would change
Hail! Hail?

Strangely , their Board's statement ended with them stating that they were doing everything they could ''to maximise the number of of our fans cheering the team on during home matches .''
This , to me , implies that they are considering restricting away fans , does it not ?

Very strange considering whenever I view Killie V Celtic matches there are vast areas of empty seats in their main stand - why are these not being taken up by Killie supporters ? Hmmm ?
Sounds to me like pointless sabre rattling by a Board who know that without away supporters they will be bankrupt .
Full house at killie v Aberdeen
ouPeQVA.png

Lubo, I know you mean well, but your comment here has weighed on my mind for several days and I need to respond. And also understand that this is coming from a Celtic supporter, but one who is not Catholic, Irish, Scottish, or who fits the mold of a more ‘traditional’ Celtic supporter.

So firstly, the article this morning on Etims really resonated with me.
http://etims.net/?p=13935
There was a time in my life - before I was a strong Celtic supporter - that I had a desire to see a match at Ibrox to experience the atmosphere. The ‘Old Firm’ rilvalry is world famous for the passion, and it’s well beyond anything we have in America. The closest I can even think of would be a political rally - such as those supporting Trump in 2016 or Obama in 2008 - but I don’t think that’s a good comparison for a lot of reasons. Regardless, I no longer have any desire to go to Ibrox, even to watch Celtic win by a 5-0 scoreline. It is a place where hatred, bigotry, racism, and sectarianism are not only tolerated but actively celebrated. It is vile and reprehensible, and it’s something and someplace I want nothing to do with. And crucially, unlike the fringe element that can be found at a lot of clubs and even in society at large, this element at Ibrox is a feature rather than a bug. Rangers as an institution is a Masonic cult that celebrates William of Orange’s victory over the Catholics, and one of the defining characteristics of the Orange Order is that they view themselves as superior to those who don’t subscribe to their world view, whether that is defined by religion (non-Protestant), nationality (non-British), or race (non-white).

So the part that I want to disagree with you about is the behavior of our own fans and whether or not it is acceptable. And I’m going to lay down a marker here - if any behavior is bad enough to be found objectionable by one’s spouse, child, employer, or priest (or other religious leader for those like me who aren’t Catholic), then one should not engage in that sort of behavior anywhere or at any time.

So calling Kris Boyd a fat cunt is not okay. And calling him a bastard or an orange bastard isn’t okay either. You wouldn’t go into your child’s school or your church and hurl these insults, so why is it okay at a football ground (or on the Internet!)? And the fact that someone else is tossing these insults around doesnt excuse one’s own reprehensible behavior. We are, or should strive to be, better than this!

So with that out of the way... calling someone in the U.K. an “orange [fill in the blank]” is most definitely a sectarian insult and likely racist as well. Why? Because ‘Orange’ is not just a color but a very deliberate refereance to the Orange Order, and being a white Protestant is the most significant trait that defines membership of that organization. Or put another way, the Orange Order is by definition a sectarian organization, and by insulting the organization or one of its members, one is by definition hurling a sectarian insult. You can argue that the Order should be held up for scorn and ridicule (and you’d be right), but it’s a fallacy to claim that such insults aren’t sectarian in their nature.

Finally, I want to touch on the celebration of our clubs and supporters Irish roots. First off, that history is part of Celtic’s history and it is something that should be celebrated. I want to make that very clear before I go further. But the IRA chants and some (I emphase some here) of the rebel songs are found to be offensive to a lot of people both in the U.K. and elsewhere. The IRA is viewed in most parts of the world, including the U.K. and the USA, as a terrorist organization. The fact that it was, and still is in the 6 counties, a rebel army attempting to overthrow an oppressive foreign occupier is lost on most people who aren’t Irish or understand Irish history. (Indeed, George Washington would have gone down in history as a terrorist and a traitor had he not led the American colonies to victory in 1883). But the underlying fact remains that pro-IRA messages are viewed as pro-terrorist to those not from an Irish background or understand a fair amount of Irish history. People, and not just Rangers supporters, find these songs and messages hurtful and offensive.

If our club is ever going to be successful in building alliances and finding common ground with other clubs on a more than one-off basis, we would be well advised to cut the crap about the IRA because it makes us look like terrorists or, at best, terrorist sympathizers to those who don’t share that world view, be they Protestant, secular, Scottish, English, or even many non-Irish Catholics. We’re never going to get other clubs or other fans on our side as long as we tolerate, much less celebrate, such behavior. Pro-Ireland, sure. Pro-Catholic, sure. But there are better ways to celebrate Irish heritage than singing about perceived terrorists or the battles they’ve won against the British army, particularly when doing so in Britain!

great post Ben and well worthy of debate,
will digest and hopefully come back later,ah couple of wee point's, maybe worthy of consideration.
how do African Americans feel about the"black panthers"
palestinians feel about PLO,Hamas
Cuban's and Fidel
nicuragua and sandinista's
basques and ETA.
Hail Hail Ben!

reading bens post reminded me of a speech made by malcolm x back in the 1960s with reference to the racist agenda in america when he referred to the first english settlers who landed at plymouth rock on the mayflower ship ,he summed it up perfectly when he said of the african americans "we didn't land on plymouth rock plymouth rock landed on us"

Lubo, I know you mean well, but your comment here has weighed on my mind for several days and I need to respond. And also understand that this is coming from a Celtic supporter, but one who is not Catholic, Irish, Scottish, or who fits the mold of a more ‘traditional’ Celtic supporter.

There was a time in my life - before I was a strong Celtic supporter - that I had a desire to see a match at Ibrox to experience the atmosphere. The ‘Old Firm’ rilvalry is world famous for the passion, and it’s well beyond anything we have in America. The closest I can even think of would be a political rally - such as those supporting Trump in 2016 or Obama in 2008 - but I don’t think that’s a good comparison for a lot of reasons. Regardless, I no longer have any desire to go to Ibrox, even to watch Celtic win by a 5-0 scoreline. It is a place where hatred, bigotry, racism, and sectarianism are not only tolerated but actively celebrated. It is vile and reprehensible, and it’s something and someplace I want nothing to do with. And crucially, unlike the fringe element that can be found at a lot of clubs and even in society at large, this element at Ibrox is a feature rather than a bug. Rangers as an institution is a Masonic cult that celebrates William of Orange’s victory over the Catholics, and one of the defining characteristics of the Orange Order is that they view themselves as superior to those who don’t subscribe to their world view, whether that is defined by religion (non-Protestant), nationality (non-British), or race (non-white).

So the part that I want to disagree with you about is the behavior of our own fans and whether or not it is acceptable. And I’m going to lay down a marker here - if any behavior is bad enough to be found objectionable by one’s spouse, child, employer, or priest (or other religious leader for those like me who aren’t Catholic), then one should not engage in that sort of behavior anywhere or at any time.

So calling Kris Boyd a fat cunt is not okay. And calling him a bastard or an orange bastard isn’t okay either. You wouldn’t go into your child’s school or your church and hurl these insults, so why is it okay at a football ground (or on the Internet!)? And the fact that someone else is tossing these insults around doesnt excuse one’s own reprehensible behavior. We are, or should strive to be, better than this!

So with that out of the way... calling someone in the U.K. an “orange [fill in the blank]” is most definitely a sectarian insult and likely racist as well. Why? Because ‘Orange’ is not just a color but a very deliberate refereance to the Orange Order, and being a white Protestant is the most significant trait that defines membership of that organization. Or put another way, the Orange Order is by definition a sectarian organization, and by insulting the organization or one of its members, one is by definition hurling a sectarian insult. You can argue that the Order should be held up for scorn and ridicule (and you’d be right), but it’s a fallacy to claim that such insults aren’t sectarian in their nature.

Finally, I want to touch on the celebration of our clubs and supporters Irish roots. First off, that history is part of Celtic’s history and it is something that should be celebrated. I want to make that very clear before I go further. But the IRA chants and some (I emphase some here) of the rebel songs are found to be offensive to a lot of people both in the U.K. and elsewhere. The IRA is viewed in most parts of the world, including the U.K. and the USA, as a terrorist organization. The fact that it was, and still is in the 6 counties, a rebel army attempting to overthrow an oppressive foreign occupier is lost on most people who aren’t Irish or understand Irish history. (Indeed, George Washington would have gone down in history as a terrorist and a traitor had he not led the American colonies to victory in 1883). But the underlying fact remains that pro-IRA messages are viewed as pro-terrorist to those not from an Irish background or understand a fair amount of Irish history. People, and not just Rangers supporters, find these songs and messages hurtful and offensive.

If our club is ever going to be successful in building alliances and finding common ground with other clubs on a more than one-off basis, we would be well advised to cut the crap about the IRA because it makes us look like terrorists or, at best, terrorist sympathizers to those who don’t share that world view, be they Protestant, secular, Scottish, English, or even many non-Irish Catholics. We’re never going to get other clubs or other fans on our side as long as we tolerate, much less celebrate, such behavior. Pro-Ireland, sure. Pro-Catholic, sure. But there are better ways to celebrate Irish heritage than singing about perceived terrorists or the battles they’ve won against the British army, particularly when doing so in Britain!

You sure do sound like ANTON

Gonna give you a wide berth ben. Soz thats a whole load of crazy i do not wish to go through again.

I dont like preachers either.

You have your opinion as does everyone else.

To say your right and their wrong sounds a whole lot like the darkside to me.

You being in America shouldn’t really bother you too much as you’ll no have to hear the east end regularly.

There are some who wish to keep politics out of football.

Our club has historically been political as its been charitable.

If people do not wish to no-one asks nor forces them to join in.

Each to their own.

What happened to live and let live?

Should Scottish people not sing flower of Scotland then?? Maybe after the clusterfuck that is Brexit is over the 6 counties may decide to vote to become part of the republic..then guys like Bobby Sands MP and Sean South will be looked upon as Irish heroes and not terrorist. William Wallace was a terrorist to the English. He is now a Scottish hero. People with Irish heritage should be allowed to support Irish history however they want. Not sit with their mouth shut because it may offend some British people. The same people who are offended by Irish folk songs are the people who will tell us churchill was a hero. The An Gorte Mor was just a famine. That the death of thousands of Irish people couldn't be helped. They will tell you that hundreds of thousands of people in the middle east had to die by having bombs dropped on them the protect us from Afghan farmers with pitch forks invading England.

great post Ben and well worthy of debate,
will digest and hopefully come back later,ah couple of wee point's, maybe worthy of consideration.
how do African Americans feel about the"black panthers"
palestinians feel about PLO,Hamas
Cuban's and Fidel
nicuragua and sandinista's
basques and ETA.
Hail Hail Ben!
Michael, I’m not really sure I understand what you’re getting at.

The point I was trying to make had more to do with the perception of others regarding the IRA and our support thereof (hint: not good!). Now, we as Celtic supporters are perfectly entitled to support whoever we wish including the IRA, the PLO, and other organizatons (and I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of our support of other organizations other than the IRA at this point because it’s not as defining or visible to the rest of society). But we should reflect a little bit on this and ask ourselves if it’s wise to glorify the IRA and their history if it means that we’re going to offend a large percentage of society (the vast majority of whom are NOT Rangers supporters) so that they don’t want anything to do with us? What are we hoping to achieve by doing so?

To your point, or what I think is your point... supporters of any movement will almost always have a favorable viewpoint of itself. I’m not sure that really addresses my points one way or the other though unless I’ve misunderstood you.

Back