This is another favourite of mine. Stick with it, it's a slow starter. It won't be to everyone's taste. I think it's from Iceland. Turn off the lights and close the eyes..... You'll be ready for battle after it...

When I lived in London, I shared a house with some bhoys fae Derry. The Plough and Harrow in Leytonstone was the place for Irish music. Every band had to know Back Home in Derry. Christy Moores version is fantastic.
The tune is (I think) from an American song aboot a ship wreck on one of the Great Lakes, The Wreck of the Elwood Fitzgerald (Elwood might be wrong tho). The words (of the Christy Moore version) were written by Bobby Sands as a tribute to his Derry comrades. What a great song, it takes me back to London every time.
Always think of a guy, known as Paddy Hash, who is no longer with us.
Skin up Paddy!!

Seeing the pricks at the bbc banned him from singing this live recently, why not this.... Even though his facts at the start are inaccurate!

First heard Grace in Bairds bar many years ago...it somehow brings back memories of the pub... It's such a poignant song and it will last forever.

Back