Irish And Scottish Trad Musicians

JimMc

Not the greatest ever version of a very great Irish ballad, but want to give Kevin Rowland the stage as he really deserves it for being the loud son of Irish emigrants in Birmingham, one who refused to keep his head down when many if not most around at his younger times did, and many of Irish parents did worse and became them, sometimes a few worse extremes of them.

One problem with silence and shutting down debate by what ever means, is at best it only reinforces ignorance limited closed minds and the status quo of the time, and they were one shyte band.

On the other side of the argument, there appears to be not much evidence that just jumping up and down in a crowd waiving flags and shouting simple repetitive chants or insistent claims, is effective. If the actions don't make at least one person not just stop and think and reflect to question, but want to tell another! if that does not happen then the crowd will just sound and look a lot like 'them'.

Irish peoples music of old was seldom written just for rhyming leisure purpose, it was as much for recording events, telling stories of life, keeping alive mindsets and community cultures that were being repressed by foreign crown enforced laws and their agents and officials. No wonder that travellers of old had such a wealth of Irish song and musicians, back a few generations we Irish were most all very much like the old travellers.

https://www.independent.ie/entertai...-lot-of-ignorance-about-ireland-35580620.html

Last edited:

JimMc

Pecker Dunne - Wexford

A little more on the Irish music man who inspired more well known names and at least one song that had the words not so subtly changed likely by a Celtic fan as that version was often enough heard around the pubs on match days a few years back.

Last edited:

JimMc

I do understand that everyone thinks differently, and not being one for the wanting or promoting conformity or consensus, I started a thread for the more literal minded, Celtic related General chat.

The problem with dictating what can be said and how and where and when, is you would soon have nothing worth complaining about and people scared to state something in case of ridicule or correction. Be careful with what you say or look like or do, conform to what is acceptable just in case.

The only likely positive benefit of that would be we could imagine what it was kind of like generally
for the Irish in Britain and for many in Ireland especially the North but also the South, West and East for decades.

Last edited:

JimMc

Fairytale in NY is a brilliant song born out of the Irish trad, the whole world knows that's great, but so is this if you have not heard it before. Haunting and soulful Irish Christmas sad love song.
Mick Flannery & Lisa Hannigan - Christmas Past.
What a line sung!
"Oh yeah I forgot this part, this is where you break my heart"