Irish Roots

I love Sinead singing the Foggy Dew
You're down Edinburgh way, Sam, aren't you?

I was working with this Corstorphine boy in Pitlochry a few years back, he kept using the word 'radge'.

We were up this auld fella's manse and he was the traditional colonial type with some serious coin. Nice enough bloke but obviously cut from the empire's cloth.

Wee Davy mentions 'radge' a few times and the old duffer says: "my goodness, was one's family also stationed in India?"

Wee Davy's no the brightest and says: "no, but my old man did a stretch in Saughton"

Still not sure who was the more confused?
??

worked on a fas scheme in carrick on shannon mid 1990's, at the hospital, turnin a famine graveyard into a memorial garden, saddest time ever, watchin grown men cry, myself included,the place had been neglected for decades and as we cleared it, the bones we found,ffs! men ,women, children, ye could only begin tae imagine the horror,grief and rage folks,but they have a beautiful place there now, where they'll never be forgotten and they'll live forever in our memories.

You just brought a tear to my eye.

May God Bless them all and may eternal light shine upon them. Amen

One side of the family's mythos has always spoken in whispers of being chased out of the Emerald Isle for cattle rustling some 3 or 4 generations ago. No more details than that, or locations - the storytellers, my fathers fathers , etc, are dead now.

Something I've yet to investigate, but intriguing.

Maybe finally an answer to why, when I was a kid, my great-grandfather kept a cow locked up in his garden shed, always referring to it with contempt as, 'that English bastard'...

One side of the family's mythos has always spoken in whispers of being chased out of the Emerald Isle for cattle rustling some 3 or 4 generations ago. No more details than that, or locations - the storytellers, my fathers fathers , etc, are dead now.

Maybe finally an answer to why, when I was a kid, my great-grandfather kept a cow locked up in his garden shed, always referring to it with contempt as, 'that English bastard'...

That cow Thatcher comes to mind when you tell that tale (y)

was working in london,turned 40,got a severe dose of the phuq its,grabbed ma guitar, phuqed off to ireland in 1994,ended up in leitrim, met a three time all ireland fiddle champion while buskin at the marina in carrick on shannon,introduced me to the the trad music scene,13 years later came back here, to the elephant's graveyard, but what a phuqin party!!!!!

You're down Edinburgh way, Sam, aren't you?

I was working with this Corstorphine boy in Pitlochry a few years back, he kept using the word 'radge'.

We were up this auld fella's manse and he was the traditional colonial type with some serious coin. Nice enough bloke but obviously cut from the empire's cloth.

Wee Davy mentions 'radge' a few times and the old duffer says: "my goodness, was one's family also stationed in India?"

Wee Davy's no the brightest and says: "no, but my old man did a stretch in Saughton"

Still not sure who was the more confused?

Hahahaha. That's amazing. I do indeed live in Edinburgh, but wasn't raised here.

my dad’s family were from Dingle co Kerry and Sligo and came here in 1881 and settle first in Gorbals then moved to Patrick. My mums people came from Co Down and County Mayo. They came here to Scotland in 1889 and lived in Maryhill. My Grandfather was a convert to the Catholic faith but he always had a great love for Celtic and he passed it on to all of us thank goodness. HH?

I was thinking how we are all brought up in the Celtic family and understand and respect the ethical roots of our beautiful club.

Some will be Irish Some will be Scots and Some will come from other places.

Nearly all of us have roots in Ireland and mines came over 1860’s i think.

My roots hail from Galway.

Which part of the emerald Isle are you closest too or hail from.

HH ☘️

County Cavan

HH?

Took today off so zigga zig ah ?

What does that mean?

Anyone know?

Nae Irish but was in a RFB for 10 years and visited loads of places mainly in the north.Met some cracking people who’d do anything for you.Went to Mayo a couple of years back and done Westport and Knock for some spiritual guidance.Hoping to go to the all Ireland final this year.HH

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back