Is it just me?

Weedocbhoy60

Is it just me who thinks Edouard is a waste of money. Even today the ball just bounced off him. I'm for phoning a taxi. We need to get a striker in sharpish, and let him do whatever he does.

Edouard is not Dembele or Sutton or Hartson . His game is not holding up the play .. he has to play there because we sold Dembele
Some of his touches today in attacking mode were sublime and he was unlucky not to score
He is someone who plays off a big striker and can be unplayable at times
We need to find from somewhere a big guy who can hold up play
That said just now it’s all good enough for Scotland
IMO we will beat Aberdeen in the final comfortably.. well on the way to another wee treble!
Today it could have been anything again .. someone is going to take a very sore one from us.

It is hard work watching him sometimes, against Hibs he could have had 5.

On Thursday he looked out his depth almost.

I like him though - he has a wee bit of everything and should only get better.

The problem (as usual) is we’ve left ourselves in the position where we’ve no option but to play him.

Ideally we drip feed him into the team, it would take the pressure off/also make him realise he won’t be an automatic choice regardless of his form.

It’s obvious now that we can’t rely on Griffiths, with injury, fitness/lifestyle issues, illness, we need to be looking for at least 1 other striker.

A Sutton type would be a great start because it would really help us get up the pitch/take the pressure off, especially in Europe.

He would also be the perfect foil for Forrest, Rogic etc.

Edouard is not Dembele or Sutton or Hartson . His game is not holding up the play .. he has to play there because we sold Dembele
Some of his touches today in attacking mode were sublime and he was unlucky not to score
He is someone who plays off a big striker and can be unplayable at times
We need to find from somewhere a big guy who can hold up play
That said just now it’s all good enough for Scotland
IMO we will beat Aberdeen in the final comfortably.. well on the way to another wee treble!
Today it could have been anything again .. someone is going to take a very sore one from us.

St Johnstone Hibs and Hearts have all taken sore ones and long may it continue

HH?

It is hard work watching him sometimes, against Hibs he could have had 5.

On Thursday he looked out his depth almost.

I like him though - he has a wee bit of everything and should only get better.

The problem (as usual) is we’ve left ourselves in the position where we’ve no option but to play him.

Ideally we drip feed him into the team, it would take the pressure off/also make him realise he won’t be an automatic choice regardless of his form.

It’s obvious now that we can’t rely on Griffiths, with injury, fitness/lifestyle issues, illness, we need to be looking for at least 1 other striker.

A Sutton type would be a great start because it would really help us get up the pitch/take the pressure off, especially in Europe.

He would also be the perfect foil for Forrest, Rogic etc.
Absolutely spot on

Reactions: TET
Is it just me who thinks Edouard is a waste of money. Even today the ball just bounced off him. I'm for phoning a taxi. We need to get a striker in sharpish, and let him do whatever he does.

He’ll eventually leave for a lot more than we paid. Playing out of position just now, he’s not a target man, he plays better off a striker or from the left side. Hope we sign a target man in January then we’ll see an even better Eddy.

Young player with potential strange how we paid £9m for potential when we could have signed players who are the finished article for less
We supposedly paid 4.5m for him with add ons that could reach up to 9m. I think he is well worth it. Very young lad who needs help up front and when he has the right man up front with him, he's been unstoppable.

Last edited:
Not going to write him off already as he is still young and there is still a lot of time on his side to develop. I will say we need to sign another forward (in Jan ideally) to take the pressure off him. He’s shown in flashes he has top quality there, it’s down too Brendan and the club to do there best to help develop and get the best out of him.

He plays off a big target man. Surely there must be someone swimming about the european leagues that we could source. There has to be another player the likes of Big Sutton under the radar. Brendan likes pace though so it's a big ask to find that kind of player without paying silly money.

When I first watched him play, thought he looked like he had problems walking let alone running, realize now it's just his physique mixed with a laid back style.
But now see he has one quality that is quite special and rare enough. Think back to how many strikers running with the ball towards goal with defenders chasing nearby! are you confident they will even make the penalty box, most times they either lack pace or ball control or strength or courage! So they get tackled or they lay the ball off to space or shoot too soon in wild hope.
Eddie definitely has shown he has this skill to carry a ball under pressure and that is a great thing to build on.
The money in the game is madness and it suited the Celtic board to inflate or encourage press exaggeration figures the last window, do any of us know for certain what we have actually paid for him to date! I doubt we have paid the often quoted 9 million.

Eddie can do a lot more, but confident he can.
And of those from the mainland, he appears to be the least obviously cliquey.

The bhoy is class.

Of course he has weaknesses in his game, but his strengths are exceptional.

This is a Moussa situation - plenty had a go at him when he looked disinterested/hopeless. Yet when he fired, we saw the player the French raved about.

Eddy is rated similarly. A player who can deliver at the top-level; Not pumping a handful past Scottish pish, but who will do damage against the best in Europe.

Right now, we are playing in the manner which least suits him - I believed he was bought to play off Moussa, but the best laid plans and all that - Moussa fcks off to Lyon and Eddy has to carry the lone striker role, which as others have pointed out is NOT his game.

The plan to have the focal point of MD with Eddy Mercury flashing up beside him from between the mid and front lines was a belter. Ruined by MD's petulance and impatience.; one more season to line up the replacement was what we needed.

However, the bhoy's doing what he can to play with his back to goal, but running at a defence and attacking space with the ball at his feet is what he excels in.

January will be vital to his future. We must get in a quality 'target man' to do the heavy lifting along that front line. If the board don't cough up for such then I will be convinced they're at it and will expect BR to work his ticket.

The bhoy is class.

This is a Moussa situation - plenty had a go at him when he looked disinterested/hopeless. Yet when he fired, we saw the player the French raved about.

Eddy is rated similarly. A player who can deliver at the top-level; Not pumping a handful past Scottish pish, but who will do damage against the best in Europe.

Right now, we are playing in the manner which least suits him - I believed he was bought to play off Moussa, but the best laid plans and all that - Moussa fcks off to Lyon and Eddy has to carry the lone striker role, which as others have pointed out is NOT his game.

The plan to have the focal point of MD with Eddy Mercury flashing up beside him from between the mid and front lines was a belter. Ruined by MD's petulance and impatience.; one more season to line up the replacement was what we needed.

However, the bhoy's doing what he can to play with his back to goal, but running at a defence and attacking space with the ball at his feet is what he excels in.

January will be vital to his future. We must get in a quality 'target man' to do the heavy lifting along that front line. If the board don't cough up for such then I will be convinced they're at it and will expect BR to work his ticket.
This??

Reactions: TET
Do Celtic have a coach for their centre forwards? John Kennedy the defense coach ( full job description please on the back of an Embassy Regal Packet) I think Celtic have paid their penance to John and his injuries sustained while in their service, but a Forward coach , it would seam feasible having spent so much on Eddy and yes he is still in the learning phase that we spend a few shekles asking the likes of Henrik Larsson to spend a bit of time with the lad , improving his first touch and heading abilities, I think if the time is spent on him we will be well rewarded

The bhoy is class.

Cannot believe the shit I’m reading here about big Eddy. Takes me back to the countless Celtic fans calling for Broon to be jettisoned a few years ago and feel all those who are writing off Eddy will be shown to be in the same type of group. Clueless.

He is 20, he is class. And to say he isn’t makes me wonder about the mindset of some of our fans. It’s all about opinion but the opinion he isn’t good enough I feel is so far off the mark it’s laughable to me. Time will tell.

Members online

No members online now.

Back