Is the 2018/19 Season a failure in your eye?

CarlisleReiver

I'm not sure that this view will go down well back home (I now live in Melbourne) but I personally think this season has been a failure!!!

I'm not overally bothered by the Scottish Cup and the League Cup it's the League and the Champions League that matters most to me. And missing out on the champions league means that this season goes down as a failure.

My view is that games in Europe are the most important, they bring the most enjoyment (full houses) and the most money. However we constantly treat it with disrespect. I can understand why the board doesn't spend our War Chest of cash (nothing borrowed I might add).....because the vast majority of fans just care about beating Sevco.

Sevco are improving, they were a fairly descent Europa league team this season taking it to the last game before bowing out..... we're a Europa league team too! If we don't get to the Champions League then we will have a huge fight on our hands next season just to win the league. Make no mistake Sevco are hungry we need to get that hunger too, as everyone has seen us regress over the last year. We need a Champions League standard team to finish above them.

Missing out on Champions league I blame the board and Rodgers..... The board for not backing Rodgers and Rodgers for not beating a woeful AEK with the squad we had.

The next managers prerequisite has to be 1: Qualification for the Champions League (Every Season) if not you get the sack. Champions league football means we must win the league too (Win - Win). I don't care if he plays under 21's in the FA and League cup (even against Sevco) it's a total of 9 games if you get to the final of both) that really just clogs up the season.

We have 8 games a year to get into the champions league....our biggest games, and we don't prepare for them adequately. Yes, we have to take some pain (not actively going for the cups), but I would rather be playing Barca, Man U, Benfica, Dortmund, Inter at a packed Parkhead then playing Alloa with a full team with 20,000 fans at the ground.

Hopefully the Treble Treble changes the way we think as a club, a Champions League priorities games and beds in youngsters in less important games.

Hail Hail!

No, not a failure. Most fans living in Scotland do care about the domestic cups. So if we fail to qualify for the Champions League then we start the season by sacking our manager by early August (or else keep them on with them knowing they are sacked at the end of the season regardless - very motivation for them). Failing to qualify this season was frustrating as we should have beaten a poor AEK, but we did stay in the Europa League until after xmas before being put out by a top quality opponent. IF we do will the treble then it can't be classed as a failure.

I'm not sure that this view will go down well back home (I now live in Melbourne) but I personally think this season has been a failure!!!

I'm not overally bothered by the Scottish Cup and the League Cup it's the League and the Champions League that matters most to me. And missing out on the champions league means that this season goes down as a failure.

My view is that games in Europe are the most important, they bring the most enjoyment (full houses) and the most money. However we constantly treat it with disrespect. I can understand why the board doesn't spend our War Chest of cash (nothing borrowed I might add).....because the vast majority of fans just care about beating Sevco.

Sevco are improving, they were a fairly descent Europa league team this season taking it to the last game before bowing out..... we're a Europa league team too! If we don't get to the Champions League then we will have a huge fight on our hands next season just to win the league. Make no mistake Sevco are hungry we need to get that hunger too, as everyone has seen us regress over the last year. We need a Champions League standard team to finish above them.

Missing out on Champions league I blame the board and Rodgers..... The board for not backing Rodgers and Rodgers for not beating a woeful AEK with the squad we had.

The next managers prerequisite has to be 1: Qualification for the Champions League (Every Season) if not you get the sack. Champions league football means we must win the league too (Win - Win). I don't care if he plays under 21's in the FA and League cup (even against Sevco) it's a total of 9 games if you get to the final of both) that really just clogs up the season.

We have 8 games a year to get into the champions league....our biggest games, and we don't prepare for them adequately. Yes, we have to take some pain (not actively going for the cups), but I would rather be playing Barca, Man U, Benfica, Dortmund, Inter at a packed Parkhead then playing Alloa with a full team with 20,000 fans at the ground.

Hopefully the Treble Treble changes the way we think as a club, a Champions League priorities games and beds in youngsters in less important games.

Hail Hail!

I see where you're coming from but winning the league and both cups is very meaningful to me and we won't get anywhere in Europe until we have a higher income and are prepared to scout and pay out for far better players than we have now.

Humf, To answer your question, would you take winning the league every year but NOT qualifying for the champions league? Absolutely, I feel that as a club and fans we need to change our culture for us to progress. Nothing is guaranteed in football.... but football is about goals. And our main goal should be set out to get into the champions league every year.
The club would need to have strong leaders from the top down, who would spell this new approach out so that fans would know what the over all plan is and why. The whole structure of our clubs would have to be 100% geared up for the 8 qualifying games in July/august. Having the whole team, down tools at the end of May and go on holiday for June is madness. Players could and should be rested throughout the season to make up for it.

Some fans are spoiled by success.Winning the Treble is hard but doing it 3 times in a row is nothing short of fantastic.
We had been cheated for years and still did nothing in Europe and it will get harder as time goes on.What would you call a success in Europe?.Last 16 and losing the League or would you be happy the way things are?.
Celtic will never be a force in Europe again unless some sugar daddy buys us but playing in Scotland stops that.
Today's defeat means nothing to me because I know the Scottish Cup Final will blow all of our minds if we win it.
Broony.gif

But one of our big problems is not having our players down tools for the month of June but rather they are all playing internationals to the middle of June then kick off European qualifiers at the start of July. This 11.5 months of high tempo football season after season is burning out players (mentally and physically) and leading to too many injuries.

would love us to do well in Europe,having grown up with the lions,but competing against nation state backed teams,qualifying for the group stages is an achievement,our players are running on fumes presently,3 years of unprecedented success without a break is taking it's toll eufa is doing all it can to stop clubs progressing and competing,look at ajax,great season great campaign,i'll bet they do nothing next season,look at Monaco,great run in europe,the nation states bought their players, this season was a relegation dogfight,so what's it to be,domestic dominance and/or a CLqualification with a run in in the europa league.

Hail Hail!
Missing out in the Champions league is okay by me as some of those hammering were fkn awful.Barcelona and PSG could have hit us for 10.The Europa Cup is more our level.uj

Hail Hail!

War chest? Thats dave king country.

Tell me, what does CarlisleReiver mean?

Missing out in the Champions league is okay by me as some of those hammering were fkn awful.Barcelona and PSG could have hit us for 10.The Europa Cup is more our level.uj
I disagree our player's from the Lisbon lions to moussa dembele show we are a Champions league team it's where we belong and if our board backed us all the time it would be a regular basis HH

Failure....... oh the laughs eh?

Champions league is out of most country’s champions, league. Its the billionaires game.

Complete fix and rigged to suit way deeper pockets than Celtics. Fs you only have to look at the seedings

Anyway on the verge of a triple treble and a lad living in OZ thinks history making is failure.

You see how well.... silly at the least your statement is?

Probs not.

But hey history none the less in a fortnight.

Oo Ah Up the Ra

But one of our big problems is not having our players down tools for the month of June but rather they are all playing internationals to the middle of June then kick off European qualifiers at the start of July. This 11.5 months of high tempo football season after season is burning out players (mentally and physically) and leading to too many injuries.
well said BB, three relentless years! players are burnt out, KT's been ran into the feckin ground!

Members online

Latest posts

Back