Jack Hendry

Speyside Lhad

Jack Hendry has started 9 games for Celtic in the Premiership since he signed...

4 x Losses... Killie x 2, Hibs & Hearts

4 x Draws all 0-0... St J, M’well, Dundee & Killie

1 win... 2-1 v Hamilton but was subbed at 1-1

Is this a major contribution to our problems.?

I would not normally slate a player on stats alone as I recall watching Tom Rogic achieve similar type stats (maybe not just as bad) but could not buy a win and then came good.

However, there is something odd about Hendry in that he is very one footed and not comfortable on the ball. He is not commanding in the air and is cumbersome on the deck. He has no great positional sense and I am starting to recall why I could not remember him in the Dundee team? Seriously does any Celtic supporter remember thinking - Jack Hendry of Dundee has potential? He cannot even get a pair of shorts to fit him and maybe if he stopped running around like Tam Baird's dummy - he would be able to achieve mobility. I just cannot see anything that suggests he is going to be a player - he's like a very poor mans Gary Caldwell... o_Oo_Oo_O

I would not normally slate a player on stats alone as I recall watching Tom Rogic achieve similar type stats (maybe not just as bad) but could not buy a win and then came good.

However, there is something odd about Hendry in that he is very one footed and not comfortable on the ball. He is not commanding in the air and is cumbersome on the deck. He has no great positional sense and I am starting to recall why I could not remember him in the Dundee team? Seriously does any Celtic supporter remember thinking - Jack Hendry of Dundee has potential? He cannot even get a pair of shorts to fit him and maybe if he stopped running around like Tam Baird's dummy - he would be able to achieve mobility. I just cannot see anything that suggests he is going to be a player - he's like a very poor mans Gary Caldwell... o_Oo_Oo_O

:) I recalled this.

All well and good being supportive and giving a player time, in fact it is not only what a fan should do but should wisely do, Henrik had a bad first match.

But eventually there is a point where you have seen enough, Hendry clearly is not and will not any time soon be a reliable centre back good enough, in fact like Lustig for different reasons (age and past injuries likely) he is a liability.

Again it goes deeper than one player although I have seen enough of Hendry to know he isnt good enough and maybe cant handle the pressure.of playing for Celtic. Signings over recent seasons have been poor. The board culpable for not strengthening over the summer.

The stats don’t lie I suppose in one sense, he does make mistakes an one of them today lost us the game.

Think I find myself in the unusual position of rating Jack though, I can see why we purchased him although granted a lot of that is on his potential.

He makes mistakes, and will do whilst learning his trade so I guess the real question is: why are Celtic buying players for the spine of our team that are not the finished article? It’s clearly a dangerous thing to do in the here and now, and the truth of it that is surely known by our management team. They surely also know we are on a “once in a lifetime” consecutive league championship run and can’t afford to simply ignore the present and promise to “get it right next time”.

Jack is emblematic of how we are getting the balance of potential and completeness wrong with regards our transfer policy. It is criminally poor planning as evidenced by the CL exit. Hendry shouldn’t be starting anywhere like as many games an certainly not make or break games of any kind. We could have drafted in senior players in that particular position without breaking the bank. Not perhaps too quality, but good enough to allow us to send Boyata packing for 9m quid. We could then have used that money to buy QUALITY too.

We all know we could have right? The question is why didn’t we and it is exceptionally concerning that we didn’t when given the ideal scenario in terms of finance and goodwill. I have watched Celtic squander things from a position of strength many times (the 86-87 season springs to mind) and I’m more than exasperated by it.

This will be the hardest season of any proposed ten in a row run too, because next year if we are still champions, the majority of the pressure will be on a Hun side that MUST stop us from emulating our first nine in a row, and becoming the only side to do if twice. The pressure on ten......ratchet that up to twice as much. We will do well with the wind at our backs in both situations in my opinion.

We need to be focussed, ruthless and consistent from here on in or we risk throwing everything we have worked for to the dogs. Doesn’t bear thinking about. Sort it out Celtic.

BHH

Sentiment should never come into it. You are either good enough or you aren’t.

Young Jack isn’t. I predicted he would sell the jerseys yesterday and he did. Twice.

He was another one of the many Rogers signings that have been a total waste of time and more importantly money.

He needs loaned out and eventually moved on at a massive loss back to the Dundee's if this world.

He has surely started his last game. I certainly hope so. He’s a liability

Hendry isn't the issue. The defence isn't the issue (other than no right back). Its the lack of chances created and scoring goals, caused by incessant side to side and backward passing. Teams have time to get back into their deep block (to use the modern parlance) and we are clueless in how to break them down.
Only Hearts have lost less goals, only Aberdeen, Dundee and St Mirren have scored less.

Just a point on the stats . You use the fact that he’s played in 4 x 0-0 draws
I don’t see that as a negative for a defender surley

Hendry isn't the only issue but he's not ready to start and there are serious doubts he'll ever be. That he has to start on a regular basis is a testament to the extremely poor squad planification of the last three transfer windows, which have been shambolic. And it will only get worse as we will lose Boyata for nothing soon enough.

A quality centre back or two have to land at Glasgow airport on January 1st, period.

Jack Hendry has started 9 games for Celtic in the Premiership since he signed...

4 x Losses... Killie x 2, Hibs & Hearts

4 x Draws all 0-0... St J, M’well, Dundee & Killie

1 win... 2-1 v Hamilton but was subbed at 1-1

Is this a major contribution to our problems.?
Over those 9 games we conceded 7 goals,thing is over those same 9 games we only scored 4,seems to be problems all over the pitch

Jack Hendry is not a development player. He's over a year older than Moussa Dembele and Ntcham. He is 4-years older than Edouard who is developing. I am normally sentimental but can see no potential in JH. However, I agree with others he is not to blame for the way the team are playing at present. He is to blame for losing 23-year-old Stuart Findlay of Kilmarnock for that second goal yesterday. SF played for our youth team. Jack Hendry was just as he appeared in the AEK Athens game - he cannot defend set pieces.

However, when a team sit deep and defend as a pack you depend on your back 3 or back 4 starting to use the space in front of them to make runs into the midfield and draw the opposition players out to free up space - we are not doing that. Yes we do go down the flanks but in the most predictable of fashions. I even thought that a few weeks back Emilio brought a freshness about our defence to forward play and linked better with Sinclair (why I do not know...but he did). We have little on the right flank of defence as Lustig is a warrior but he is reaching the end of his career. I also think that a big strong striker alongside Edouard or Griffiths would be a help as they played off Dembele and Boyata and guys winning the first ball.

He is 4th choice cb maybe 5th if we had decent rb cover for lustig to slot in. For a 5th choice cb he is fine. We just can't seem to keep the squad up to speed

Me too Starry night. I used to argue with my mate that JH would come good. :) I think sometimes the step up to a big club is too much for some players and it maybe that whoever scouted him made an error. It does seem obvious to me that he is very uncomfortable. I think the thing that starts to annoy me is he is good at pointing at others when it is quite obviously him.

There are times when he does go into midfield if he could keep his composure and self-belief then maybe he would be a threat but he seems to start off then panic and reverse or over-run the ball.

However, there is something just not right at Celtic at the minute that needs addressed quickly.

Doh! forgot about Sim there goldfich. :censored::giggle:. Throw biton in the mix as a player he will be up against for a start as well. For a guy of his age to be that far down the pecking order is a worry. I'm struggling to see him leapfrog the guys in front of him. Regardless of age it comes down to is he good enough? If DB and comper are offloaded in January and two come in does anyone think JH will stick about as well? I think he will be loaned out

I would have started Lustig in CB yesterday before Hendry.

I just don't understand how Hendry gets a game. There is as much justification for starting Sinclair as Hendry.

Brendan cannot keep giving places to guys IN THE HOPE they'll actually put in a shift and a performance.

Punt Hendry and Sinclair in January, get them away from the whole set up.

When other players see them getting a game it must knock the very heart out of them ... players aren't stupid when it comes to playing the game.

It's getting more and more infuriating each time they pull on a jersey.

Members online

Latest posts

Back