James Kelly MSP booed in Scottish Parliament for asking question on Irish Racism in reference to Neil Lennon

Be able to show the young pups a trick or two, stevie!

Watch some of the young boys now and they can't trap a bag of cement. Second touch is a tackle and they can only play the way they're facing.

Go through Scottish football nowadays and ask how many boys in that picture would have made it to the seniors based on their ability back then.

I'm laying 1-10 that everybody on that picture could have played seniors nowadays.

You might have a point there pal. That said, when big Jock kept me back after training really well i had the chance to be signed. He had Bobby Lennox send in some crosses and i knew i was doomed. Head like a thrupenny bit lol. Will always cherish those days.
HH?

You might have a point there pal. That said, when big Jock kept me back after training really well i had the chance to be signed. He had Bobby Lennox send in some crosses and i knew i was doomed. Head like a thrupenny bit lol. Will always cherish those days.
HH?
I had a head like the Amazonian rain forest.

They're the forever memories, Stevie.

Just to know that you were in the presence of greatness is more than many of us could wish for.

Sorry but James Kelly was NOT being booed or jeered for raising the issue of anti-Irish racism and anti-Catholic bigotry. Watch the clip again and listen carefully, it was only when James Kelly asked Nicola Sturgeon to ''commit the Scottish government to urgent action to root out these unacceptable attitudes and behaviours'' that raised voices were heard (likely coming from the SNP benches).

The reason for those raised voices was because it was James Kelly who raised the parliamentary bill that repealed the OBFA and SNP MSP's were annoyed to hear the man that effectively got OBFA scrapped calling on Nicola Sturgeon to ''commit the Scottish government to urgent action to root out these unacceptable attitudes and behaviours'' because as far as they were concerned that was the exact purpose of the OBFA.

Let me be clear here I am NOT endorsing the OBFA or saying that the SNP were right about the OBFA I am merely pointing out that NO ONE was booing or jeering and NO ONE was having a go at James Kelly for raising the issues of anti-Irish racism and anti-Catholic bigotry. The SNP MSP's were simply not pleased that the man who got OBFA scrapped was now demanding that the Scottish government do something about 'offensive behaviour at football'.

I'm not having a go at anyone but people are viewing this clip in isolation and without the proper context, people need to understand what wen't on before surrounding James Kelly's parliamentary bill and the repeal of OBFA to understand what was actually going on here.

You may well be right, Andybhoy but racism is racism whether it's in a football ground or on the street.
OBFA was superfluous as it's not about where but about accepting the fact that being anti-Irish is racist and should be treated accordingly.

As I made clear in my original post Shamrock I was NOT endorsing the OBFA or the SNP's support for it, I was pointing out that this incident was being misinterpreted as MSP's having a go at James Kelly for raising the issue of anti-Irish racism and anti-Catholic bigotry when that wasn't what was actually going on. If you watch the clip again and listen carefully you will hear exactly when and what the SNP MSP's were taking issue with.

What was going on was that SNP MSP's raised their voices in annoyance at James Kelly not because he raised the issue of anti-Irish racism or anti-Catholic bigotry but because he was demanding that the Scottish government take urgent action to deal with 'offensive behaviour at football' after HE was the one who raised the parliamentary bill to have the OBFA repealed and was effectively the person responsible for it being scrapped. As far as the SNP are concerned the OBFA done exactly what Kelly was demanding and that was what was being shouted at Kelly from the SNP benches, they viewed Kelly's demands as an attempt to play party politics and point score on a very serious issue.

As far as I'm concerned personally the OBFA was a massive steaming pile of shit that was not only unworkable but infringed on freedom of expression and was being selectively used by Police Scotland to unfairly target Celtic fans while they completely ignored the worst instances of offensive behaviour elsewhere. The SNP made a complete arse of the legislation and should have scrapped it themselves but they stupidly and ignorantly refused to back down on it.

Again as I said I'm not having a go at anyone but it has to be pointed out that people are simply mistaken on this, this whole incident has been taken completely out of context. James Kelly was NOT booed and jeered for raising the issues of anti-Irish racism or anti-Catholic bigotry and if you watch the clip again and listen carefully to what is being said you will see this.

HH Shamrock.

I haven't seen the clip in full context, Andy

I do however trust your judgement.

There are major contradictions in the football world and the political sphere.

FIFA and UEFA forbid political expression, yet politicians make great hay from using football as a......political football!

None of the established political stripes have covered themselves in glory regarding rampant sectarianism in Scottish football.

They have consistently tried to make it a bi-partisan issue, when there is clearly a definite tilt in that particular balance.

As ever, thanks for the clarification......I always tend to go off half-cocked without having the proper set of details available.

I haven't seen the clip in full context, Andy

I do however trust your judgement.

There are major contradictions in the football world and the political sphere.

FIFA and UEFA forbid political expression, yet politicians make great hay from using football as a......political football!

None of the established political stripes have covered themselves in glory regarding rampant sectarianism in Scottish football.

They have consistently tried to make it a bi-partisan issue, when there is clearly a definite tilt in that particular balance.

As ever, thanks for the clarification......I always tend to go off half-cocked without having the proper set of details available.

If you watch and listen carefully mate you will see and hear the exact moment when the SNP benches raise their voices, it was immediately after he called on Nicola Sturgeon to ''commit the Scottish government to urgent action to root out these unacceptable attitudes and behaviours'' and not when mentioning the issues of anti-Irish racism or anti-Catholic bigotry.

As James Kelly was effectively the guy who got OBFA scrapped the SNP benches weren't best pleased that Kelly was now demanding they 'take urgent action on offensive behaviour at football' because as far as they were concerned that's what the OBFA was for.

As I said NOT an endorsement of the OBFA or the SNP's views on the matter just a clarification of what actually took place.

HH mate.

If you watch and listen carefully mate you will see and hear the exact moment when the SNP benches raise their voices, it was immediately after he called on Nicola Sturgeon to ''commit the Scottish government to urgent action to root out these unacceptable attitudes and behaviours'' and not when mentioning the issues of anti-Irish racism or anti-Catholic bigotry.

As James Kelly was effectively the guy who got OBFA scrapped the SNP benches weren't best pleased that Kelly was now demanding they 'take urgent action on offensive behaviour at football' because as far as they were concerned that's what the OBFA was for.

As I said NOT an endorsement of the OBFA or the SNP's views on the matter just a clarification of what actually took place.

HH mate.
Cheers Andy

Believe me, Jim Kelly's far from the top of my Christmas card list.

Flip-flops more than glibby!

Cheers Andy

Believe me, Jim Kelly's far from the top of my Christmas card list.

Flip-flops more than glibby!

No bother SP.

I wasn't out to have a go at James Kelly or trying to make any political point here mate I just think in the current climate we need to be really careful not to instantly accept something as fact or truth and react to it without making sure if it's actually accurate or not, especially surrounding issues like this because they can be hijacked by people who have their own agendas and the repercussions of that could be dire for us all.

We have enough problems with anti-Irish racism and anti-Catholic bigotry in Scotland without creating imagined instances of it because we misinterpreted and reacted to something without checking it's accuracy.

HH mate.

As alwsys, you have hit the target on every count, Andy.

Many, like myself, are quick to rush to judgement and misinterpret events to suit their own narrative.

We see it on the southside on an almost daily basis.

It is vital that we listen to objective voices, like your own, and ensure that our arguments are sound and not without solid foundation.

Keep watching the watchmen, my friend - and thank you for clarifying these matters.

Hey we can all be guilty of that SP we're only human but as ever you've taken the time to listen and consider the facts and that is no small thing these days. You're a top man SP.

Anyway enough of this politics shite let's get back to talking about the fitba.

HH mate.

Members online

Latest posts

Back