James McCarthy

Your not alone winter in calling for a proper DM, just can't see it happening myself for the season ahead imo.
Think the DM becomes more needed if Ange were to change to a 3CB option imo, as the DM would bring about a different style to our play in formation imo, with trying to keep Ange's attacking philosophy in place also.
Still got that potential option still, but maybe much further down the line, than at present imo.
The calmac role is so pivotal to how the team is set up and yet wouldn't have to much concern with Mooy, guchi and even O'Reilly doing the job there still, as McCarthy is still a no no in starting in that position imo.
So I actually think that there is still room for an attacking midfielder, preferably right sided even if turnbull seems to be becoming more flexible in the attacking midfielder role now, just to give the midfield an all round better feel to it imo.
Personally I'd like that attacking mf to be calmac hes great at both but we get the best from him in attack I've always thought that.
I hope Gucci isnt out too long as weve seen it's not easy to get back in once were on a roll.
Mooy was used in attack mf for his cameo , not sure if he can do what calmac does as the DMF if he can then great

The DM tends to play with the slower tempo like Bitton did, just can't see Ange actually wanting that when the tempo can be slowed down when a game is actually won as such brim imo.
Ange said last month he doesn't want a defensive midfielder as he has no room for one in his style of play. I think Ideguchi is the closest he will use in that stting midfield position.

The DM tends to play with the slower tempo like Bitton did, just can't see Ange actually wanting that when the tempo can be slowed down when a game is actually won as such brim imo.
McCarthy is a DMF but seems Ange prefers cal there and McCarthy has been decent enough in seeing games out for us. He wants more game time fair enough.
Bitton was good enough domestically and had loads of European experience so Ange had no problems trusting him, in both, giving him the armband a few times as well.
I suppose it all comes down to do we think we have enough to fight on both fronts?
Domestically yes , champions league is a completely different proposition and for me we are short of another 2 quality additions.
This is why I agree with nicholarse for a change.

Personally I'd like that attacking mf to be calmac hes great at both but we get the best from him in attack I've always thought that.
I hope Gucci isnt out too long as weve seen it's not easy to get back in once were on a roll.
Mooy was used in attack mf for his cameo , not sure if he can do what calmac does as the DMF if he can then great
This is where I would disagree with yourself winter, as still haven't got anyone who comes close to what calmac brings to the team in his current position imo.
When calmac is on top of his game, which is on a regular basis also then as a team we can be unstoppable imo, especially when we dominate the football as much as we do in the majority of our games throughout a season at present.
Expect him to be targeted moreso within the CL but also a very intelligent footballer to handle the extra pressure applied upon him also.
Would still class hatate as a better player in his left sided attacking midfield role within the team than giving the job to calmac, even if calmac is more than decent in the position if the call demanded in doing so.
Think the wider players could drop deeper when without the football in the CL, so basically making a midfield 5 as such, who hopefully won't be easy to play through and with a still very fast counter attack in place to worry team's and the ability to be very productive still.

Last edited:
McCarthy ---> Mooy
Was thinking the same docco, I know it's early days still so hoping Mooy has got more to his game than what McCarthy has to offer, seen nothing as of yet to suggest he has at present, still very early days still.

Was thinking the same docco, I know it's early days still so hoping Mooy has got more to his game than what McCarthy has to offer, seen nothing as of yet to suggest he has at present, still very early days still.
To be fair John, he only came on in the 83rd minute against Aberdeen and the 85th minute against Ross County. He has not played for months and had no pre-season training. I think he is entitled to more than a quarter of an hour playing time spread over two matches before he gets written off already!

To be fair John, he only came on in the 83rd minute against Aberdeen and the 85th minute against Ross County. He has not played for months and had no pre-season training. I think he is entitled to more than a quarter of an hour playing time spread over two matches before he gets written off already!
Not writing him off by any means BB and don't actually know anything about Mooy game as such.
Haven't seen anything in such a short space of time to say that an attacking midfield would actually suit his game as such yet.
Only been used so far as to see a game out, yet looks like a player more suited in the calmac role imo at present.
Will be interesting to see how Mooy develops within the team in future but certainly a player I'm happy to have within the squad, even if unsure in what capacity he is best suited for us still imo

To be honest the McCarthy situation isn't a big issue for me. He is another so called celtic fan who thought he'd come for a last hurrah in his career and say he played for us etc...

These are the players that don't fit us, and I'm glad that Ange seems to get that Celtic isn't a quick stop, he only wants people who suit his style and fit into the club at the time.

McCarthy is another Owen Coyle, etc.. he is a Castlemilk boy who grew up 'supporting' and 'loving' the club but had better options... seems to be a running theme with scottish boys whether they be Tierney's, Gilmour's or even Champagne Chuckleheids.

Ok rant over 🙄 sorry guys 😂

Remember he had been playing at what is essentially a pub league level in china, will take his quite a few weeks to get up to the speed of our kick and rush game here
The way I currently view our midfield options is we have 3 in hatate, O'Reilly and turnbull who are very comfortable in playing in the more advanced roles and ghosting into the area with the ability to find room for goalscoring opportunities.
The other 4 in calmac, Mooy, guchi and McCarthy at present look far more comfortable in playing there game in front of a back 4 and trying to pick them passes for our runners in the front line imo.
So even yesterday when it wasn't happening for turnbull, kyogo seemed to have taken on the role of sitting deeper and arriving that bit later to attack the penalty area as such, which O'Reilly was looking to do all game and unlucky for it not to bring any success to us.
So still remains a little bit unbalanced imo with us tending to use 2 attack minded midfielders more so than 2 sitting in and trying to work them openings.
Will that approach be to adventurous for CL football remains to be seen, where a calmac/Mooy partnership could well be more beneficial to us with allowing a hatate/O'Reilly/turnbull getting the more advanced midfield role.
Of course it remains to early still to make assumptions but looks like there is still room for the more attack minded midfielder who is comfortable within the more advanced role within the squad imo.

Members online

Latest posts

Back