James McCarthy

So if the huns fail to reach the champions league we'll get an extra £3 million, plus the £1 million for olympiakos failure, plus the £1.5 million add on for Christie.
That's £5-£5½ million right away (if the tributeers dont qualify and theres a really good chance of that)
That's got to help in the cause to get Ajeti and/or jules off the books.
The clubs going to take a hit from these 2 no matter what.
Roughly £11 million for the 2 so the club are definately taking a hit if we can get £4 million for the two put together thats welcome anything extra will be welcome.
We have not spent so much as it might seem.
Yes two signings over £6 million and those two ( we know who they are) are real quality but really weve only spent in the region of £20 million , yes that sounds absurd I know " only £20 million " but weve brought a lot in from sales again and of course that £20 million is a far bigger number when you include wages.

Ajeti imo there is a good goalscorer there when hes firing on all cylinders hes lethal, I know many say that his style doesn't suit angeball but I dont agree , when he was fit he did a hell of a lot of running chasing down the ball chasing down defenders exactly what Ange asks for and he is a case of what couldve been as twice hes got into the team and twice been injured, last injury came chasing down the ball and it cracked off his outstretched calf tearing his hamstring.
I dont like to talk our players down and Ajeti is still only 24, jules 28 they both earn about £1 million per year excluding bonuses at Celtic.
Jules contract Is up June '23 but ajeti has a contract to June 24 so the latter may well be the one who is best suited for a loan move if only to increase his his market value.
Jules could be bought out for about £1.5 million though I'm sure the club will try everything to make some return from his initial outlay.
I know many have slated ajetti for sitting taking the money but we offered him that contract and in my eyes hes blameless.
We need another defender , still short in that department and that cost our progression from the EL group as we couldnt defend well enough to keep Leverkusen and Betis at bay despite racing into good early leads.
Honestly can still barely believe our squad from this time last year but as always is the case with Celtic defence is still an issue which surprises me a bit given Ange was defender himself 🤞🏻 he can get that sorted out cos as weve seen with Starfelt, when we lose a main man at the back we dont have the same depth in talent there.
Would be very surprised if any additions were made to the current defensive set up myself winter, already got 4 CB when starfelt becomes available and possibly only 3 will be used for a match day squad imo, so 1 stands to miss out on most games within the SPFL, so will soon become who that 1 will be?
Got no concurns whatsoever regarding the finances within the club as winning the league this year and with potential player sales next summer could be like winning the lottery with the amount of money that will be available within the club and done so without doing to much harm to the current squad either imo.
As for the present, I still don't believe that there is any need to sell or even to free up wages, I think keeping harmony within the current squad is a bigger issue.
Personally wouldn't trust ajeti or Jules to potentially try and upset that harmony and team spirit and wouldn't have any concerns regarding Mccarthy and MJ upon the issue either.
Yet ajeti, I still remain very disappointed in still, not so much within his game as still believe that he has something to offer as a player, even if its not for us still.
Still a very young striker still, but already with having done nothing as such within the game to date and this is currently ongoing for 3 seasons now.
Has he got anything within himself of wanting to prove himself and make a worthwhile career within the game?
Not seeing it winter, so hence his attitude has to be called into question and all the while his value is dropping like a stone.
Certainly not a player Ange would want to depend upon imo, and not even confident to many team's would like to risk investing within him either imo.
Teams don't really like to invest in players with a stinking attitude and imo think ajeti may have developed that now, moreso than improving his all round game

Edit : our defence is still a concern for European football not domestic
Give them the chance to prove themselves this season and can be addressed next summer if the improvements are still required imo winter.
Already earned the chance to play at CL level now the real test for all the players will be to see if they can handle the upgrade in standard, and still believe many can pass that test including the defence also imo.

Would be very surprised if any additions were made to the current defensive set up myself winter, already got 4 CB when starfelt becomes available and possibly only 3 will be used for a match day squad imo, so 1 stands to miss out on most games within the SPFL, so will soon become who that 1 will be?
Got no concurns whatsoever regarding the finances within the club as winning the league this year and with potential player sales next summer could be like winning the lottery with the amount of money that will be available within the club and done so without doing to much harm to the current squad either imo.
As for the present, I still don't believe that there is any need to sell or even to free up wages, I think keeping harmony within the current squad is a bigger issue.
Personally wouldn't trust ajeti or Jules to potentially try and upset that harmony and team spirit and wouldn't have any concerns regarding Mccarthy and MJ upon the issue either.
Yet ajeti, I still remain very disappointed in still, not so much within his game as still believe that he has something to offer as a player, even if its not for us still.
Still a very young striker still, but already with having done nothing as such within the game to date and this is currently ongoing for 3 seasons now.
Has he got anything within himself of wanting to prove himself and make a worthwhile career within the game?
Not seeing it winter, so hence his attitude has to be called into question and all the while his value is dropping like a stone.
Certainly not a player Ange would want to depend upon imo, and not even confident to many team's would like to risk investing within him either imo.
Teams don't really like to invest in players with a stinking attitude and imo think ajeti may have developed that now, moreso than improving his all round game
Thing about Ajeti is I dont recall hearing/reading anything about his situation from him.
Have read that the club are willing to listen to offers for him which would indicate his days are numbered.
It's a case of what couldve been with him.
At least I reckon we will get some return on the £5 million outlay for him , be lucky to get anything now for jules who looks like hes running down his contract with 10 months left.

Give them the chance to prove themselves this season and can be addressed next summer if the improvements are still required imo winter.
Already earned the chance to play at CL level now the real test for all the players will be to see if they can handle the upgrade in standard, and still believe many can pass that test including the defence also imo.
See your point mate though I'd still prefer to have a ready to go replacement should anything happen to CCV 🤞🏻 that won't happen but with only Jules as cover for him this is the reason why I'd like another defender.

So if the huns fail to reach the champions league we'll get an extra £3 million, plus the £1 million for olympiakos failure, plus the £1.5 million add on for Christie.
That's £5-£5½ million right away (if the tributeers dont qualify and theres a really good chance of that)
That's got to help in the cause to get Ajeti and/or jules off the books.
The clubs going to take a hit from these 2 no matter what.
Roughly £11 million for the 2 so the club are definately taking a hit if we can get £4 million for the two put together thats welcome anything extra will be welcome.
We have not spent so much as it might seem.
Yes two signings over £6 million and those two ( we know who they are) are real quality but really weve only spent in the region of £20 million , yes that sounds absurd I know " only £20 million " but weve brought a lot in from sales again and of course that £20 million is a far bigger number when you include wages.

Ajeti imo there is a good goalscorer there when hes firing on all cylinders hes lethal, I know many say that his style doesn't suit angeball but I dont agree , when he was fit he did a hell of a lot of running chasing down the ball chasing down defenders exactly what Ange asks for and he is a case of what couldve been as twice hes got into the team and twice been injured, last injury came chasing down the ball and it cracked off his outstretched calf tearing his hamstring.
I dont like to talk our players down and Ajeti is still only 24, jules 28 they both earn about £1 million per year excluding bonuses at Celtic.
Jules contract Is up June '23 but ajeti has a contract to June 24 so the latter may well be the one who is best suited for a loan move if only to increase his his market value.
Jules could be bought out for about £1.5 million though I'm sure the club will try everything to make some return from his initial outlay.
I know many have slated ajetti for sitting taking the money but we offered him that contract and in my eyes hes blameless.
We need another defender , still short in that department and that cost our progression from the EL group as we couldnt defend well enough to keep Leverkusen and Betis at bay despite racing into good early leads.
Honestly can still barely believe our squad from this time last year but as always is the case with Celtic defence is still an issue which surprises me a bit given Ange was defender himself 🤞🏻 he can get that sorted out cos as weve seen with Starfelt, when we lose a main man at the back we dont have the same depth in talent there.
I'm sure we also got a bonus (£1m - £2m) for Ajer seeing as Bournemouth stayed up as well.

Thing about Ajeti is I dont recall hearing/reading anything about his situation from him.
Have read that the club are willing to listen to offers for him which would indicate his days are numbered.
It's a case of what couldve been with him.
At least I reckon we will get some return on the £5 million outlay for him , be lucky to get anything now for jules who looks like hes running down his contract with 10 months left.
It's a no no still to be running to the press moaning about your current club status and where Jules has blotted his copy book at present.
Ajeti on the other hand has kept his mouth rightly shut.
Still wages for the pair of them remaining the biggest issue as not to many if any would be prepared to get even close to what we are possibly paying them, so only possible loan options available for the pair and couldn't see anyone prepared to venture into the option to buy either imo.
Surely both know there current situation but with the current competition around sealing a move away to a club the pair of them think they are worthy of, isn't going to be as easy as they would like it to be imo.

It's a no no still to be running to the press moaning about your current club status and where Jules has blotted his copy book at present.
Ajeti on the other hand has kept his mouth rightly shut.
Still wages for the pair of them remaining the biggest issue as not to many if any would be prepared to get even close to what we are possibly paying them, so only possible loan options available for the pair and couldn't see anyone prepared to venture into the option to buy either imo.
Surely both know there current situation but with the current competition around sealing a move away to a club the pair of them think they are worthy of, isn't going to be as easy as they would like it to be imo.
Ajeti best spell came with Basel hopefully ( you'd think) there's swiss clubs looking, but aye I still think that for in Europe we need quality cover for CCV , Jules isnt unless he really pulls the finger out we cant rely on him

See your point mate though I'd still prefer to have a ready to go replacement should anything happen to CCV 🤞🏻 that won't happen but with only Jules as cover for him this is the reason why I'd like another defender.
Still think we are operating with 4 right sided CB who would prefer to play there given a choice imo winter, so not really a problem as Ange seems to like players with a degree of flexibility about them also imo.

Still think we are operating with 4 right sided CB who would prefer to play there given a choice imo winter, so not really a problem as Ange seems to like players with a degree of flexibility about them also imo.
We have CCV, Starfelt , Jenz and Julien for the 2 CB positions and whilst we have adaptable defenders I dont think that's strong enough for the champions league personally .
It is domestically but I've got a feeling ( or a hope) Ange will want another, unless hes comfortable trusting Jules which doesnt seem to be the case I just dont think that's strong enough for what's coming

We have CCV, Starfelt , Jenz and Julien for the 2 CB positions and whilst we have adaptable defenders I dont think that's strong enough for the champions league personally .
It is domestically but I've got a feeling ( or a hope) Ange will want another, unless hes comfortable trusting Jules which doesnt seem to be the case I just dont think that's strong enough for what's coming
Think you forgot about Welsh winter as got a much better standing within the club than Jules now and quite rightly so imo.
Our style of play puts big pressure upon our CBs with the high risk we want to play at imo.
Still way to good for what anybody within the SPFL has to offer to take real advantage of the risk involved imo, of course CL could well be a different story as many share your same concerns also winter.
Personally will keep an open mind as what our approach to the CL will be, for now anyway, and see what the draw actually brings up for us, but at present don't believe that we need to go into the CL with fearing anybody as I still think our attacking intentions with the quality also will give plenty of things for team's to fear us moreso imo.

Last edited:
Think you forgot about Welsh winter as got a much better standing within the club than Jules now and quite rightly so imo.
Our style of play puts big pressure upon our CBs with the high risk we want to play at imo.
Still way to good for what anybody within the SPFL has to offer to take real advantage of the risk involved imo, of course CL could well be a different story as many share your same concerns also winter.
Personally will keep an open mind as what our approach to the CL will be, for now anyway, and see what the draw actually brings up for us, but at present don't believe that we need to go into the CL with fearing anybody as I still think our attacking intentions with the quality also will give plenty of things to fear us moreso imo.
Aye Welsh was supposed to be included there but even including him it's still 4 for 2 CB positions as I cant include Jules , I only did because hes on the books.
Welsh has done really well no-one can deny that but he does sometimes taper off.
We seen this happen v Aberdeen .
CCV and Starfelt are the ones who would start .
Jenz weve still to see and Welsh is still a backup really to Starfelt its cover for CCV that concerns me that's why I hold hope for another CB if we're serious about making an impact in Europe

Understand your thinking winter and still wouldn't class Welsh as quite ready for CL standard football myself but wouldn't panic either if we had to rely upon him either.
Don't think our season is going to be defined by the CL either as it still remains a learning curb for most within the club, especially for Ange himself.
Got no idea what to expect, but going into a European venture with more excitement this season than the fears many a European campaign has bought before, only because I now feel that we have a squad well able to match the demands of the club that are placed upon them imo.

Understand your thinking winter and still wouldn't class Welsh as quite ready for CL standard football myself but wouldn't panic either if we had to rely upon him either.
Don't think our season is going to be defined by the CL either as it still remains a learning curb for most within the club, especially for Ange himself.
Got no idea what to expect, but going into a European venture with more excitement this season than the fears many a European campaign has bought before, only because I now feel that we have a squad well able to match the demands of the club that are placed upon them imo.
Aye I think as well we're ahead of schedule at this stage so of course the cl wont decide our season, we must win the title 1st & foremost and really turn the screw on the "pish guzzling heathens " ( love that line 😎)
It would probably have been the plan to make an assault on Europe next season.
I just remember the successful Celtic sides in Europe from MON,,WGS and NFL, those sides were built upon a really strong back line ( with of course brilliant mf and attack).
Think were not far away from the brilliant mf and attack.
For some reason the defence has always been the last piece of the jigsaw in recent years and I see that pattern repeating again, probably due to the Celtic way /style we try to play.
Theres still a month almost left in this window , a long time in the window.
If Jules goes , and him being our main man at the back when he was fit, he will be a loss to us ( a fit , goalscoring defender , big game senior first team player) like to think Ange will want to fill that void with another player of a high calibre.
I dont always get what i want but i do hope for that because it's an unknown at this time if Jules really can be counted on if hes needed to up his game to the standard we know hes got.
I'd love to see him prove us all wrong , really would and remind us all exactly why he was becoming a bit of a cult figure amongst the support.
His confidence has taken a battering though and that's never good , e.g Shane Duffy .
Does he still have the ambitions he came here with? And after all the problems he went through.
If he can brush it off and understand that he has the ability and we have the platform for him then he may get stuck in and stay giving all hes got.
If he cant/wont/doesnt want to then I'd like a replacement , I wouldnt stop there I'd still want another DMF as well such are the demands the champions league puts on the squad, often shattered from getting the runaround.
Champions league wont define our season no , never , unless we go really deep.
🤞🏻 I have a wee feeling that one of those two positions might yet get another addition HH

Aye I think as well we're ahead of schedule at this stage so of course the cl wont decide our season, we must win the title 1st & foremost and really turn the screw on the "pish guzzling heathens " ( love that line 😎)
It would probably have been the plan to make an assault on Europe next season.
I just remember the successful Celtic sides in Europe from MON,,WGS and NFL, those sides were built upon a really strong back line ( with of course brilliant mf and attack).
Think were not far away from the brilliant mf and attack.
For some reason the defence has always been the last piece of the jigsaw in recent years and I see that pattern repeating again, probably due to the Celtic way /style we try to play.
Theres still a month almost left in this window , a long time in the window.
If Jules goes , and him being our main man at the back when he was fit, he will be a loss to us ( a fit , goalscoring defender , big game senior first team player) like to think Ange will want to fill that void with another player of a high calibre.
I dont always get what i want but i do hope for that because it's an unknown at this time if Jules really can be counted on if hes needed to up his game to the standard we know hes got.
I'd love to see him prove us all wrong , really would and remind us all exactly why he was becoming a bit of a cult figure amongst the support.
His confidence has taken a battering though and that's never good , e.g Shane Duffy .
Does he still have the ambitions he came here with? And after all the problems he went through.
If he can brush it off and understand that he has the ability and we have the platform for him then he may get stuck in and stay giving all hes got.
If he cant/wont/doesnt want to then I'd like a replacement , I wouldnt stop there I'd still want another DMF as well such are the demands the champions league puts on the squad, often shattered from getting the runaround.
Champions league wont define our season no , never , unless we go really deep.
🤞🏻 I have a wee feeling that one of those two positions might yet get another addition HH
Defensive play has changed a good bit in recent seasons with more teams deciding to defend from the front line moreso, even if there is still room for the fast counter attack within the game still, so teams are much better coached when to pick there moments as such, gameplans etc etc.
Was always waiting till pre season to make assessments upon certain players with Jules being the biggest upon his return from injury, so.

Jules
Seen nothing but a player wanting out from the club, especially with his galloping ventures upfield, must be thinking to try and play like ajer was his best option to get his move away imo, so couldn't be trusted or disciplined enough to fulfil a job for ourselves going forward imo.

Ajeti
Another one, who showed no desire whatsoever, yet a stinking attitude in just 45 minutes of football, not surprised either and wouldn't want us to have to depend upon him either going forward imo.

McCarthy
Never going to be suitable for the type of football, Ange is looking for from our team imo.
Yet I believe McCarthy also knows this now and is prepared to try and do something about it with trying to look elsewhere for game time, will give him credit for doing so also imo.

MJ.
Another one who has failed to impress and still way behind the other options available in the wider areas imo. Yet will still give MJ a free pass as missed so much development football through injury and seems to have effected his confidence hugely imo. So weather a loan move or patience has finally ran out upon him, still wouldn't like to call, but again another player you couldn't really depend upon for the coming season ahead imo.

Of course they are only my personal opinions upon 4 players within our ranks still, yet its Ange decision that really counts.
Don't dislike any of the 4 players I've mentioned, just don't see them of being any use to us for the coming season, and still find it annoying to be paying so much to get basically nothing in return.
If we had to turn to any of these 4, then injuries would be at potentially drastic levels, but with a long break due to the world Cup and another transfer window in January, then I still fail to see where these 4 players will actually fit into our plans for the season ahead imo.
Were given the opportunity in pre season but failed to take it, I would say, just part of football

Defensive play has changed a good bit in recent seasons with more teams deciding to defend from the front line moreso, even if there is still room for the fast counter attack within the game still, so teams are much better coached when to pick there moments as such, gameplans etc etc.
Was always waiting till pre season to make assessments upon certain players with Jules being the biggest upon his return from injury, so.

Jules
Seen nothing but a player wanting out from the club, especially with his galloping ventures upfield, must be thinking to try and play like ajer was his best option to get his move away imo, so couldn't be trusted or disciplined enough to fulfil a job for ourselves going forward imo.

Ajeti
Another one, who showed no desire whatsoever, yet a stinking attitude in just 45 minutes of football, not surprised either and wouldn't want us to have to depend upon him either going forward imo.

McCarthy
Never going to be suitable for the type of football, Ange is looking for from our team imo.
Yet I believe McCarthy also knows this now and is prepared to try and do something about it with trying to look elsewhere for game time, will give him credit for doing so also imo.

MJ.
Another one who has failed to impress and still way behind the other options available in the wider areas imo. Yet will still give MJ a free pass as missed so much development football through injury and seems to have effected his confidence hugely imo. So weather a loan move or patience has finally ran out upon him, still wouldn't like to call, but again another player you couldn't really depend upon for the coming season ahead imo.

Of course they are only my personal opinions upon 4 players within our ranks still, yet its Ange decision that really counts.
Don't dislike any of the 4 players I've mentioned, just don't see them of being any use to us for the coming season, and still find it annoying to be paying so much to get basically nothing in return.
If we had to turn to any of these 4, then injuries would be at potentially drastic levels, but with a long break due to the world Cup and another transfer window in January, then I still fail to see where these 4 players will actually fit into our plans for the season ahead imo.
Were given the opportunity in pre season but failed to take it, I would say, just part of football
Agree with that , and if McCarthy and jules in particular aren't up to the style of play , or want more regular playing time so must be moved on. Then I feel we are short of two supposed main men 3 if gucci is still struggling to break into the side then another DMF and CB would make me happier.
Not that weve had a bad window at all but weve hardly overspent in it.
I think the club can still find the right players for these positions, if not this window then in January's one, we will have a lot of our main players in Qatar.
its always a worry, hoping they come back fit and healthy

We've been crying out for a defensive Mid all year, more so since big Nir left.
McCarthy is a DM is he not? If he's not pulling his weight its down to him he's been given game time pre season.
He's on good money for the team he supposedly supported as a kid, any outside factors should be forgotten about the second he crosses the white line. I've no time for players that don't commit 100%. I would not be arsed if he left, on loan or even better sold.

Agree with that , and if McCarthy and jules in particular aren't up to the style of play , or want more regular playing time so must be moved on. Then I feel we are short of two supposed main men 3 if gucci is still struggling to break into the side then another DMF and CB would make me happier.
Not that weve had a bad window at all but weve hardly overspent in it.
I think the club can still find the right players for these positions, if not this window then in January's one, we will have a lot of our main players in Qatar.
its always a worry, hoping they come back fit and healthy
Your not alone winter in calling for a proper DM, just can't see it happening myself for the season ahead imo.
Think the DM becomes more needed if Ange were to change to a 3CB option imo, as the DM would bring about a different style to our play in formation imo, with trying to keep Ange's attacking philosophy in place also.
Still got that potential option still, but maybe much further down the line, than at present imo.
The calmac role is so pivotal to how the team is set up and yet wouldn't have to much concern with Mooy, guchi and even O'Reilly doing the job there still, as McCarthy is still a no no in starting in that position imo.
So I actually think that there is still room for an attacking midfielder, preferably right sided even if turnbull seems to be becoming more flexible in the attacking midfielder role now, just to give the midfield an all round better feel to it imo.

We've been crying out for a defensive Mid all year, more so since big Nir left.
McCarthy is a DM is he not? If he's not pulling his weight its down to him he's been given game time pre season.
He's on good money for the team he supposedly supported as a kid, any outside factors should be forgotten about the second he crosses the white line. I've no time for players that don't commit 100%. I would not be arsed if he left, on loan or even better sold.
The DM tends to play with the slower tempo like Bitton did, just can't see Ange actually wanting that when the tempo can be slowed down when a game is actually won as such brim imo.

Members online

Latest posts

Back