January Transfer Window Thread

Lads just wondering here as a way forward for the club, should we do as in the Martin O'neill era sign a spine of high quality players like sutton , larsson, mjalby, lennon etc. then bring in the best of the home grown youths to fill out the rest of the team. I also recognise that we may not have the financial power to achieve this. But just throwing it out there as a possible realignment for the playing side of the club.

Lads just wondering here as a way forward for the club, should we do as in the Martin O'neill era sign a spine of high quality players like sutton , larsson, mjalby, lennon etc. then bring in the best of the home grown youths to fill out the rest of the team. I also recognise that we may not have the financial power to achieve this. But just throwing it out there as a possible realignment for the playing side of the club.
Established, quality players don't want to come to Scotland. And even if they did the wages they could get down south would be an additional factor that put them off.
Our issue is our youth set up is a shambles and has been for a decade or more. Our buy young and cheap, sell big policy was good in principle but badly executed by those in charge.
We are now in a situation where we are finding it difficult to attract young talent and, even more worryingly, cant keep hold of our own. Harper stalling on a new contract is the latest in an increasing number of young players who don't see a development path over a period of time that could lead to first team football (Morrison & Hepburn gone, Dembele & Okoflex next?).
Under Rodgers every player, from youth team to first team, had a personal development plan, and youngsters had a pathway on how they could reach the first team. This is why Dembele was persuaded to sign a contract and not head south. Rodgers gave him a pathway to the first team, that has since been removed.
We need a completely new youth, recruitment structure that gives young players (through academy or signed) a pathway to the first team and a manager, coaching team who have a track record in developing and improving players. This will attract young players from bigger leagues who are looking to get a move to get game time and encourage younger players to join the academy.
We cant compete financially with clubs down south so we have to offer something different.

I think we lose. I believe the %age from Lyon to be 10 - 15 so we may get between 3 and 4.5m
However there were rumours around when Eddy was humming and hawing over signing a new deal that PSG have a massive 40% cut of Eddy's future fee.
I couldn’t see Lawwell agreeing to 40% of the total transfer fee. Maybe 40% of any anything above the 9m we paid?

Established, quality players don't want to come to Scotland. And even if they did the wages they could get down south would be an additional factor that put them off.
Our issue is our youth set up is a shambles and has been for a decade or more. Our buy young and cheap, sell big policy was good in principle but badly executed by those in charge.
We are now in a situation where we are finding it difficult to attract young talent and, even more worryingly, cant keep hold of our own. Harper stalling on a new contract is the latest in an increasing number of young players who don't see a development path over a period of time that could lead to first team football (Morrison & Hepburn gone, Dembele & Okoflex next?).
Under Rodgers every player, from youth team to first team, had a personal development plan, and youngsters had a pathway on how they could reach the first team. This is why Dembele was persuaded to sign a contract and not head south. Rodgers gave him a pathway to the first team, that has since been removed.
We need a completely new youth, recruitment structure that gives young players (through academy or signed) a pathway to the first team and a manager, coaching team who have a track record in developing and improving players. This will attract young players from bigger leagues who are looking to get a move to get game time and encourage younger players to join the academy.
We cant compete financially with clubs down south so we have to offer something different.
Although if they don’t see a development path to 1st team football at Celtic do they think that will happen at a Man City or Bayern?
Can’t see it myself unless it’s simply by being sold on at a later date.

I wonder if they set any of the players any goals and get them to buy into them. It cetainly doesn't look like it in most cases. For their part, the players should be setting their own goals and working on them.

Summary of Lennon's press conference (taken from huddle board)
On 'shoot the board' banner:

"From some sections of the support it is dangerous rhetoric.

"What I will say is we all want the same thing. Those fans want success, the majority of our fans want success. The players and everybody here want the same thing.

"We don't want any divisions. I understand the frustrations and the players are feeling that as well.

"But we don't like that kind of language or expression anywhere near the football stadium. It serves no purpose really."

On fans in general:

"I can't speak on behalf of the supporters but it's a cultural thing at the moment. It's a societal, modern-day thing.

"It's not what we want. It doesn't serve any purpose. It certainly doesn't inspire anyone at the club to achieve great things.

"We all want unity. We have got that certainly from the football side of things and we just want the supporters to get behind the team, especially when they need it.

"That's what the Celtic fans do. They've done that for as long as I've been here. When things have got tough they've got right behind the team and that's what we're looking for."

On the board's statement of support:

"I think it sort of settles everyone down. I know it settles the players down for sure.

"They are really happy about that, thankfully from my point of view.

"It's full steam ahead. We just need to try to get some consistency and wins now."

On the football:

“The atmosphere is good today. The players are looking forward to the game. We all want success and the team to play the vibrant football we know they can.

“We want to use the squad tomorrow and freshen things up. Hopefully it’ll be the start of a good week, and a good run. We will endeavour to do everything we can to turn things around.

"The players are certainly feeling it and disappointed. For anyone to accuse any of our players for not understanding or not caring is way off the mark.

"We are hoping we go and put in a good performance tomorrow against Lille and then we take it from there. We are looking forward to all the games this month.

"I’ve got belief in the players. I’ve been back here almost two years and they’ve been fantastic. I have no doubt they’ll put a run together but we have to put those words into action.

“Bitton, Elhamed and Ntcham are all major doubts for tomorrow.

“We are looking at Klimala, Turnbull, Soro getting game time which they deserve and need with the run of games coming up. It’s ideal to give them an opportunity to play.”

On getting back to form:

"For me there's not an awful lot of work that needs to be done. Just that little bit of confidence. That little bit more of forward thinking, a little bit more freer in expression.

"We're just feeling a little bit anxious at times on the pitch. I get that. I've been there as a player myself. But they can play through it and that's the one thing they have to do. Train and play through it.

"Today was vibrant and we're hoping we can go out tomorrow and put in a performance against Lille and then take it from there."
Well the words aren't the problem its the putting it into action part & that's not happened enough

With the departure of Anita who has returned home to Spain Fran Alonso should sign London Pollard from Forfar Farmington who had couple of terrific strikes with either foot v Celtic ladies and is also a big stunner ( Thought I'd cheer this thread up a bit ) 😂 😂 😂
I never thought I'd read about someone wanting to poach a footballer from Farfir for the Hoops!!! 😂

Last edited:
Maybe the no movement in the market yet is a sign of sign of a new man coming in sooner than later,no point letting Lennon bye anyone if he is leaving,my hope is we have someone already in place to take over for Neil and behind the seens his choice off players are waiting in the wings,but that is to good an idea for Celtic,so maybe just take that with a pinch of salt,more likely we will stumble along with Neil to the end of the season ,that makes no sense ,but no sense is the Celtic way

Members online

Latest posts

Back