JF blog on Lennon as next Celtic boss

Whether you think Neil Lennon is good enough or not to return to Celtic and personally I believe he is a very savvy manager I don't think it will happen under our current custodians.

Neil is too emotionally honest and doesn't play the cute card enough.

He tells it like it is imo and is an unrepentant Fenian and that makes him a target for those of a Hun persuasion. The Board would much rather someone like Brendan who knows how and when to be cute.

One thing though........we all owe Neil Lennon a debt of gratitude we could never repay for what he went through in the Celtic cause.

Neil Lennon I salute you!

We've never appointed a "big name" manager. Big Jock was doing a canny job with Hibs but he wasn't yet the genius who would defeat the cattenacio; McNeill, Hay, St. Tommy etc. were ex-players with a wee bit of track record; Wim was in the wilderness in Japan; WGS had enjoyed mixed success and was hanging about racetracks when Dermot found him; Liam Brady and John Barnes were prophets sent to forewarn us about Slipping Stevie G. and the perils of appointing big name players who become nomark managers; those I've left out are self-explanatory, with the exception of the bold Lenny. Even MON was a risk and less of a household name than the rumoured Gus Hiddink. The only big name we ever got was Brendan and even then it was only because he was bored looking at the zeros on his pay off from Anfield, looking to rebuild his brand and mad on the Hoops.

We've never appointed a bona fide big name and I doubt we ever will.

I don’t think it would take psychic power to say Lenny will be in poll position when Brendan leaves.

Who else is there?

I'd like to think that if we managed to attract someone of Brendan's calibre then we can do the same when he leaves. All the SMSM shit about him leaving will eventually be correct but how many managers stay with the same club forever. I just hope the board are on their toes when the time comes.
Any manager we get in the future must have English premier league experience or top European experience, no more cheap options PL.
If Brendan leaves in the very near future which I don't think will happen, then Stevie Clarke is the man.

He must be favourite, and is a very able replacement imho. HH

I really like Stevie Clarke, and he’s done an absolutely brilliant job, my only concern is the style of football.

Even against other SPL teams they have like 35% possession.

In itself it’s not a bad thing, - the bottom line is winning, and I hate passing for the sake of it, at the same time though we’re playing in Scotland, - we’ve got to be controlling games, playing attacking football, the fans wouldn’t accept anything else.

I definitely think certain managers suit certain clubs, at certain times.

I don’t know if he could adapt.

Watching the Irish team at the moment under Martin O’Neill is torture - it’s like stuff from the dark ages.

I really like Chris Hughton at Brighton, he’s done a brilliant job, they play quite defensive though/very aggressively so I’m not sure about him because of that.

For me the most progressive manager in the UK is Eddie Howe.

I also love Marcelo Bielsa - I think their styles would suit Celtic better.

Lennon is a legend..his comments after the match were a bit shitty...he knows how things work in Scotland so to say the ref was our 12 man was a shocking statement...the ref was atrocious today but a lot of the challenges that went unpunished were committed by hibs players. Still love the guy though.

I have to agree with ye on that one. Lennon is a lot better manager now than when he was with us. But when Brendan's still there I don't even want to speculate about our next manager.

Well the thread is directed in that direction. There is nothing wrong with proper planning for the future. That’s been the problem with Celtic since I liked jelly. We need to plan, that doesn’t mean we hope Rogers leaves, but you could tell again from yesterday’s post match he told it as it is. “We wanted to go up a gear in the summer, we didn’t, we stood still.”

That’s what will hasten his departure, not speculation about who will replace him. If he feels that he is not being supported to go up a gear, which he clearly wasn’t, then his ability to do all he is capable of is sacrificed because we have a bunch of dithering shitebags on the board, chief of that cabal is Disco.

I’m hoping, there’s that word I used all my life when thinking about Celtic pushing on when ahead, and it’s never happened. Will Lawell ensure we have Rogers for 10iar? Well, don’t hold your breath.

We play Liepzig on Thursday with no RB and two CB’s who will soon be gone and it’s a must get at least a draw game.

January will tell me how long Rogers will be here. If Lawell can grow a pair of balls and Desmond allows him to prize open the Tin, it might ensure it.

The team played some brilliant stuff yesterday, but Lustig is a liability and will be on Thursday. It’s an act of criminal negligence we are where are. Lawell has cost us £60m and a CL. place, if anybody has to go, then let it be Lawell.

When Rogers leaves,
let’s hope they have thought about what type of guy we need. If it’s Lennon or not is up to him.

If the board see and accept the responsibility for us standing still is a result of them being shitebags, then maybe fingers will be extracted from their arses and they step up to the plate. Or, they can all go fuck themselves.

Well the thread is directed in that direction. There is nothing wrong with proper planning for the future. That’s been the problem with Celtic since I liked jelly. We need to plan, that doesn’t mean we hope Rogers leaves, but you could tell again from yesterday’s post match he told it as it is. “We wanted to go up a gear in the summer, we didn’t, we stood still.”

That’s what will hasten his departure, not speculation about who will replace him. If he feels that he is not being supported to go up a gear, which he clearly wasn’t, then his ability to do all he is capable of is sacrificed because we have a bunch of dithering shitebags on the board, chief of that cabal is Disco.

I’m hoping, there’s that word I used all my life when thinking about Celtic pushing on when ahead, and it’s never happened. Will Lawell ensure we have Rogers for 10iar? Well, don’t hold your breath.

We play Liepzig on Thursday with no RB and two CB’s who will soon be gone and it’s a must get at least a draw game.

January will tell me how long Rogers will be here. If Lawell can grow a pair of balls and Desmond allows him to prize open the Tin, it might ensure it.

The team played some brilliant stuff yesterday, but Lustig is a liability and will be on Thursday. It’s an act of criminal negligence we are where are. Lawell has cost us £60m and a CL. place, if anybody has to go, then let it be Lawell.

When Rogers leaves,
let’s hope they have thought about what type of guy we need. If it’s Lennon or not is up to him.

If the board see and accept the responsibility for us standing still is a result of them being shitebags, then maybe fingers will be extracted from their arses and they step up to the plate. Or, they can all go fuck themselves.
Again I agree with most of what you say, especially Tory Pete. But the problem I have with all this talk about when Brendan leaves, is the fact that we have a great manager and we can't seem to enjoy that. You'd nearly think we were trying to drive him him out. How many times does he have to come out and address this issue and say how happy and contented he is. As soon as we're onto a good thing, whether it's a player or a manager, then the negative shite appears. The "it won't last long brigade" seems to appear from all angles. I'm not stupid, and I know Brendan will leave some day, hopefully later rather than sooner. But for now, why can we not be more positive and enjoy the fact that we actually have a great manager at the minute instead of trying to chase him out the door!

Again I agree with most of what you say, especially Tory Pete. But the problem I have with all this talk about when Brendan leaves, is the fact that we have a great manager and we can't seem to enjoy that. You'd nearly think we were trying to drive him him out. How many times does he have to come out and address this issue and say how happy and contented he is. As soon as we're onto a good thing, whether it's a player or a manager, then the negative shite appears. The "it won't last long brigade" seems to appear from all angles. I'm not stupid, and I know Brendan will leave some day, hopefully later rather than sooner. But for now, why can we not be more positive and enjoy the fact that we actually have a great manager at the minute instead of trying to chase him out the door!

No fan wants him out the door. However, we can all see why the door might be an increased option. Thus puts pressure on the board to make him stay by sorting out our defence.

We are enjoying it, but to pretend our enjoyment hasn’t been soured by a board full of shitebags who could drive him out should never be shut up.

The board need to know we are worried because they bastards have caused a situation that has increased his chances of leaving.

Let’s hope that message gets through and they foresee the hurricane of rage that will befal the useless bastards if they don’t step up and back him.

I see on the BBC Sport website that Leicester has been added to Newcastle as interested in BR. (If Real Madrid can't get a win soon, he will be in line to replace Lopetegui next)… and Celtic will demand £9M compensation. Now that would definitely float PL's boat.

Lennon’s had his time with us & I heard there was a fall out when he left.He done well for us as a player & manager & he’ll always be a legend but his comments yesterday didn’t help him.I think when BR does leave we need to be looking at someone of the same calibre.The way our manager stays calm & handles interviews,even in defeat is impressive & i’d be looking for that style instead of someone complaining about refs after losing 4 goals & been saved by the post on a few occasions.HH

We've never appointed a "big name" manager. Big Jock was doing a canny job with Hibs but he wasn't yet the genius who would defeat the cattenacio; McNeill, Hay, St. Tommy etc. were ex-players with a wee bit of track record; Wim was in the wilderness in Japan; WGS had enjoyed mixed success and was hanging about racetracks when Dermot found him; Liam Brady and John Barnes were prophets sent to forewarn us about Slipping Stevie G. and the perils of appointing big name players who become nomark managers; those I've left out are self-explanatory, with the exception of the bold Lenny. Even MON was a risk and less of a household name than the rumoured Gus Hiddink. The only big name we ever got was Brendan and even then it was only because he was bored looking at the zeros on his pay off from Anfield, looking to rebuild his brand and mad on the Hoops.

We've never appointed a bona fide big name and I doubt we ever will.
you don't think Lou Macari was a big name????

If Lennon is still doing well and wants it , it’s no contest for me.
Absolutely not, his team were hammered last week and he said Hibs were playing against 12 men, Scott Brown was booked within 2 mins, It is not rocket science to know why that was. NL has lost my respect after that comment, he had one good season and never even won a treble when the Old Co was in the lower divisions.
Even Ronny Deila would have won a treble if it was not for cheating officials.

Absolutely not, his team were hammered last week and he said Hibs were playing against 12 men, Scott Brown was booked within 2 mins, It is not rocket science to know why that was. NL has lost my respect after that comment, he had one good season and never even won a treble when the Old Co was in the lower divisions.
Even Ronny Deila would have won a treble if it was not for cheating officials.

He has lost mine also. I don’t want him back now. I can’t believe he said that.

Members online

Latest posts

Back