Joe McBride

BILLCOWIE1958

1967 I was just a bhoy but the story which I am about to relate remains vividly in my mind

My grandfather was admitted to Killearn Hospital for a hip operation

At the same time Joe McBride was on the same ward with a leg break

I remember my Granda saying ' go and ask Joe McBride for his autograph'

I was about 8 years old and a bit shy and Joe had a few visitors around his bed so my dad accompanied me

Joe gave me his autograph and chatted to me for a couple of minutes then asked who my favourite Celtic player was

Without missing a beat I said 'Jimmy Johnstone' to laughs from all of Joe's visitors

Joe just said 'well nobody is going to blame you for that kid'

I met Joe at a lunch at Celtic Park on Scottish Cup final day 2007 and mentioned the event to him

He told me that he'd been desperate to see Celtic v Vojvodina in the European Cup

2 young doctors asked him if he could get them tickets to which he replied 'if you can get me there too' '

One of the doctors had a car and the 3 of them went to the game

He said 'if Big Jock knew I'd been at the game he'd have slaughtered me'

Another memory of that day in 1967 was Foinavon winning the Grand National at 100/1 after most of the other horses fell

Hope you enjoyed my wee bit of nostalgia

HH?

Joe was not signed early enough . He was a fantastic goal scorer and would have likely been in the Lisbon Team. If he was playing it might have been 5-1 instead of 2--1
Willie Wallace was signed directly from Hearts for £40000 to replace the injured McBride

HH

1967 I was just a bhoy but the story which I am about to relate remains vividly in my mind

My grandfather was admitted to Killearn Hospital for a hip operation

At the same time Joe McBride was on the same ward with a leg break

I remember my Granda saying ' go and ask Joe McBride for his autograph'

I was about 8 years old and a bit shy and Joe had a few visitors around his bed so my dad accompanied me

Joe gave me his autograph and chatted to me for a couple of minutes then asked who my favourite Celtic player was

Without missing a beat I said 'Jimmy Johnstone' to laughs from all of Joe's visitors

Joe just said 'well nobody is going to blame you for that kid'

I met Joe at a lunch at Celtic Park on Scottish Cup final day 2007 and mentioned the event to him

He told me that he'd been desperate to see Celtic v Vojvodina in the European Cup

2 young doctors asked him if he could get them tickets to which he replied 'if you can get me there too' '

One of the doctors had a car and the 3 of them went to the game

He said 'if Big Jock knew I'd been at the game he'd have slaughtered me'

Another memory of that day in 1967 was Foinavon winning the Grand National at 100/1 after most of the other horses fell

Hope you enjoyed my wee bit of nostalgia

HH?
Brilliant mate
Joe was a Celt, through & through like most of the playeres from that era
That's a great memory for you
HH

If my memory serves me right, he scored about 30 goals up till December and then was injured,loved him, absolutely loved him..what a centre forward.... no strikers then!

I met Joe McBride when he helped to rub Oatlands Boys club side. He owned the Little Mill Vaults just across the road from Shzwfield. He was also in a partnership with Billy McNeill at the Torranyard Inn outside Irvine. A really genuine guy and a gent , happy to share stories about Celtic. I always blamed Joes injury on Doug Rougvie until Joe put me straight on it. It was an old injury he told me, which cost him his place.

Back