John James - Not everyone's cup of tea but this is worth a read

Thanks for that, Croppy. I've never really considered it from anything other than a playing perspective.

I'm aware that a lot of refs took a lot of abuse at all levels, but when some bruiser is up close and personal and spitting that much venom and bile, it's hardly a wonder that so many refs (particularly Catholics) drop out of the pyramid.

Regardless of what I think about refs at any level, without fellas like yourself turning up for games in all weathers and without knowing what abuse, threat, or even attack you're going to get that day - then there is no game!

Even at juvenile, schoolboy, Sunday morning level, that type of verbal assault you were subjected to should be headline news, either in the local newspaper-or even better, at national level.

Sorry to hear about the knee, but hypothetically - would you have continued and do you think you would have got a fair crack at working your way through the grades?

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Croppy. I think it's important that we all see it from a completely different point of view.
I actually loved doing the reffing 1 game in the morning and 1 at 2pm.Jim Duncan was a terrific guy and said he would mentor me if I wanted to step up but ,he said unless I went west and left the east of Scotland refs I had no chance.I was quite happy where I was I knew the score.After the sending off of Butcher and Woods Jim never got another big game (Bastards).☘️☘️

When i lived in Edinburgh in the 70's a couple of oap's I befriended tried to get me in the masons. Join the Waverly lodge in Easter Road. The mere fact I were a catholic got me blackballed, yet i had not been to mass in 10+plus years owing to work. Merchant Navy. Fast forward at my mothet lidge in England, 232, Somerset we had Jews, Sikhs and Hindus. The lodge were an old one brought back from Calcutta.
Well a Scottish lodge visited us before going into the temple I had a word with master of cermonies about non-masonic tokens and emblems being worn. I.E. Orange Order lapel pins and badges. The visitors had to remove them.
At the festive board afterwards hearing my accent some "brothers" engaged me in talk. On questioning said I were more a rugby fan than football (Played rugby No.2) When asked to choose a football team said My home town Motherwell. Asked to pick between Celtic and Rangers I said i pick the club most like the freemasons. Regardless of colour or religion Celtic has open arms.
Needless to say the visiting brothers withdrew to their side of the bar. One of them a PWM (Past Worshipful Master)came and asked if I were winding them up said no.
Told them lodges i had visited in the southern states in America were all white racist people whereas those in Oregon, British Columbia and California were open to all colours. The look of hate I received meant in 2012 - 2014 in Geoje Island at Samsung Shipyard doing commissioning work on newbuilds for Seadrill. Scottish masons had all their work checked and if not up to specification it had to be retested created hassle. Being a mason myself asked to sign for things only 80% correct. Told them "You want a brother to be untruthful".
I ran them ragged. Freemasons from elsewhere, especially Singapore knew the score. The orange order has destroyed the ethos of freemasonry.
You cannot be a supporter of the orange order and its ideals and say you are a FREEmason at 63 i know the difference. Lived it and have the T shirt. Referees in Scotland are bigoted and biased because they dislike Roman Catholics. They hide behind Freemasonary, they are scum.

The masons are an order of inadequate people who think they are doing something clever.What is clever about dressing up in their “regalia”and keeping secrets.Unfortunately these inadequates get themselves into positions of influence and use it to subvert decency and fairness.☘️☘️

The masons are an order of inadequate people who think they are doing something clever.What is clever about dressing up in their “regalia”and keeping secrets.Unfortunately these inadequates get themselves into positions of influence and use it to subvert decency and fairness.☘️☘️
Freemasonary is an archaic order in modern times. But in england and france the real reasons behind it are still helpful and charitable.
Had many people ask me to.put them through, their reasons are the reasons I do nit advance them.
Wanted my eldest son who is is a lovely open and kind human being to follow me. He declined. Many old friends changed when I would not put them forward. They believed freemasonary had got me places were wrong. I spent time and money on charitable groups. Spent time in Bristols hospitals. You want to be a good mason you give your time helping others. You do not seek improvement.
I have had 5 large bottles of Leo.
My corragated hut near the rice field and my pack of hounds call.
SP, thank you. The eight surviving pups are doing good. Had a python try to get them will try load video.
SP. Only old guys can see since they have seen more than one incident. Seen so many that I am glad I am the only European living here in a village. Buddhism and its thinking can be understood by catholics. But, all the gers fans I have met and from a christian heart tried to advise thought it were ignorant shite. Billy knew better than philosophers

Croppy boy why you eant report my post. For what reason? We are all christians

I actually loved doing the reffing 1 game in the morning and 1 at 2pm.Jim Duncan was a terrific guy and said he would mentor me if I wanted to step up but ,he said unless I went west and left the east of Scotland refs I had no chance.I was quite happy where I was I knew the score.After the sending off of Butcher and Woods Jim never got another big game (Bastards).☘️☘️
When I started playing Sunday boys football in 1979, one of the boys in my team had a father who used to run the line in the seniors.

This fella ran the line in an infamous game against the sheep at Parkhead and called offside on a goal which would have been the winner and could have seen Celtic win the title that season instead of the sheep.

Although the technology wasn't as comprehensive as nowadays, it was pretty apparent that it was a valid goal and should have stood.

This fella didn't have any skin in the game, he was a DUFC supporter and made a genuine call (even though it was wrong). At the end of the season, he was invited to various ludges as a "guest of honour", but he wanted no part of that. He was also given the opportunity to be fast-tracked through the system, but he became so disillusioned by the principle of promotion for cheating, that he withdrew from officiating.

His son went on to have a few good seasons with Arbroath and his youngest boy went on to play for Newcastle and, somewhat Ironically, the sheep.

I still see the fella out and about in Dundee and he is a genuinely nice man, he still talks about his regret, not at impeding Celtic, but at making a basic mistake in doing something he took pride in.

The point is, that after officiating at that level for years, he only gained the attention of the sfra when he screwed over The Celtic, I don't think much has changed in the last 100 years, let alone the last 40.

As it was in the beginning, so shall it be in the end.

When I started playing Sunday boys football in 1979, one of the boys in my team had a father who used to run the line in the seniors.

This fella ran the line in an infamous game against the sheep at Parkhead and called offside on a goal which would have been the winner and could have seen Celtic win the title that season instead of the sheep.

Although the technology wasn't as comprehensive as nowadays, it was pretty apparent that it was a valid goal and should have stood.

This fella didn't have any skin in the game, he was a DUFC supporter and made a genuine call (even though it was wrong). At the end of the season, he was invited to various ludges as a "guest of honour", but he wanted no part of that. He was also given the opportunity to be fast-tracked through the system, but he became so disillusioned by the principle of promotion for cheating, that he withdrew from officiating.

His son went on to have a few good seasons with Arbroath and his youngest boy went on to play for Newcastle and, somewhat Ironically, the sheep.

I still see the fella out and about in Dundee and he is a genuinely nice man, he still talks about his regret, not at impeding Celtic, but at making a basic mistake in doing something he took pride in.

The point is, that after officiating at that level for years, he only gained the attention of the sfra when he screwed over The Celtic, I don't think much has changed in the last 100 years, let alone the last 40.

As it was in the beginning, so shall it be in the end.
If I remember right SP, Caesar was apoplectic with rage, but you've put a totally new angle on the story, every day's a school day as the saying goes.

If I remember right SP, Caesar was apoplectic with rage, but you've put a totally new angle on the story, every day's a school day as the saying goes.
It was one of my first times in The Jungle, B and my beige corduroy flares and duffel coat had to go on a diet after that game. Didn't need any pocket money though, never seen so many 5p pieces in one place?

Back