John Kennedy - Sporting Director?

Gary67

JOHN KENNEDY is in the frame to become Celtic’s sporting director.

SunSport understands the Hoops want interim boss JK to work closely with top target Eddie Howe who remains on course to become Neil Lennon’s permanent successor this summer.

Manchester City’s Fergal Harkin also remains under consideration for the sporting director role.

It now appears unlikely Bournemouth technical director Richard Hughes will be heading north.

That will be a big blow for Howe, but it’s not thought to be a deal-breaker for a Parkhead switch this summer.

It’s been a month since the ex-Cherries boss met Hoops supremo Dermot Desmond, chief executive Peter Lawwell and his successor Dominic McKay in London.

Celtic fans excited over the prospect of Howe being appointed have started to grow restless over the lack of news.

But he has spent that time speaking to contacts in the game and doing his homework on the Hoops.

Howe, 43, has been quietly planning his backroom staff, with current Bournemouth coaches Stephen Purches and Simon Weatherstone prominent in his thinking.

The identity of those who come in to improve the recruitment department is also vital to Howe’s plans to transform the club.

He’s keen to have key assistants committed to joining him before official confirmation of his move north.

Desmond has promised him substantial transfer resources and full authority over his staff.

It’s expected that Howe will have a £2million-a-year salary.

The board also values Kennedy, 37, who has been at Parkhead since 1998. He went from player to coach, to No 2 and is now stand-in boss.

JK was in the frame to become director of football while Brendan Rodgers was boss in 2019.

Kennedy will stay in charge for the final three games against Rangers, St Johnstone and Hibs.

With a new boss coming in, he had indicated he could decide it’s finally the right moment for him to head elsewhere.

Asked last week if that could be a possibility Kennedy, a one-time Hibs target, confessed: “Yeah, it might.

"But I’m genuinely not stressed about what the future holds for me.”

Now the future looks set to involve a step upstairs and a key role in a new-look football department at Parkhead.

if true then it's the same old same old ,keep the spy in the camp howe if he is coming isn't being allowed to come on his own terms could all be speculation but by the sounds of it it has Celtics usual fk up written all over it

JOHN KENNEDY is in the frame to become Celtic’s sporting director.

SunSport understands the Hoops want interim boss JK to work closely with top target Eddie Howe who remains on course to become Neil Lennon’s permanent successor this summer.

Manchester City’s Fergal Harkin also remains under consideration for the sporting director role.

It now appears unlikely Bournemouth technical director Richard Hughes will be heading north.

That will be a big blow for Howe, but it’s not thought to be a deal-breaker for a Parkhead switch this summer.

It’s been a month since the ex-Cherries boss met Hoops supremo Dermot Desmond, chief executive Peter Lawwell and his successor Dominic McKay in London.

Celtic fans excited over the prospect of Howe being appointed have started to grow restless over the lack of news.

But he has spent that time speaking to contacts in the game and doing his homework on the Hoops.

Howe, 43, has been quietly planning his backroom staff, with current Bournemouth coaches Stephen Purches and Simon Weatherstone prominent in his thinking.

The identity of those who come in to improve the recruitment department is also vital to Howe’s plans to transform the club.

He’s keen to have key assistants committed to joining him before official confirmation of his move north.

Desmond has promised him substantial transfer resources and full authority over his staff.

It’s expected that Howe will have a £2million-a-year salary.

The board also values Kennedy, 37, who has been at Parkhead since 1998. He went from player to coach, to No 2 and is now stand-in boss.

JK was in the frame to become director of football while Brendan Rodgers was boss in 2019.

Kennedy will stay in charge for the final three games against Rangers, St Johnstone and Hibs.

With a new boss coming in, he had indicated he could decide it’s finally the right moment for him to head elsewhere.

Asked last week if that could be a possibility Kennedy, a one-time Hibs target, confessed: “Yeah, it might.

"But I’m genuinely not stressed about what the future holds for me.”

Now the future looks set to involve a step upstairs and a key role in a new-look football department at Parkhead.
I genuinely don't understand what Kennedy is doing, he must be somebody's love child. Is he going to be on hand when Howe gets the boot for drawing 2 games in a row. This stinks to high heaven. Is he going to be a proxy for pistol Pete. Sorry but he needs to be removed from the club and go and live in the real world. HH

He should be nowhere near anything to do with a football. Hes the most negative person there has ever been at Celtic Park. He cant even coach the defence how to defend a set piece, as has been proved many many times this season. Its no wonder BR wanted his own coaching staff and the only reason JK got his massive hooter in the door is because BRs took his own guys with him.
His main job is PLs clipe, get him to fuck.

The fact the sun broke the story is maybe the board flying a kite see what opinions they get back keeping kennedy in situ only undermines the new manager no other way of dressing this up the board want to keep there spy in the camp ,,,,the clipe gets to keep running upstairs

The guy who dropped soro for broony to finish aff meaningless season as youth coach 🤔

You would have noticed I used the words “has to stay” and “I would prefer” in my post.

The point being.....and let me empathise matters.....if the powers that be have decided that JK “has to stay” “ I would prefer” it would be in a role he may have some experience in.....as opposed to a role he has no expertise in.

Hopefully that clarifies my view on things...

Unless someone at Celtic actually communicates with the support on what their plans are for the future and, if we are to have a Sporting Director/Director of Football, what is the definition of that role, then I don't see how anyone can comment on the rights and wrongs of appointing anyone.
It could be that Celtic's idea of what a SD/DoF role is merely a continuation of Nick Hammonds role (Head of Football Operations). If that's the case then Howe's man Richard Hughes would probably be a better shout than Kennedy as he is working in a similar role, although he has never been a SD/DoF with complete control of the footballing operation.
If we are looking to set up a modern Sporting Department under a SD/DoF then Fergal Harkin, with his varying experiences at Man City would be a shout, but again has never run the whole football operation in his various roles at City.
Kennedy was earmarked for a Sporting Director position (undefined) just over 2 years ago when Rodgers was manager. Rodgers was apparently in favour of this. That plan obviously fell through when Rodgers resigned and Kennedy became Lennon's assistant.
I suspect we are not looking for the type of Sporting Director/Director of Football many seem to want or think is necessary. I think we're after a glorified Head Scout, a John Park plus like Hammond became. To go full European style Sporting Department with a Director having full responsibility and control of all football operational decisions would mean many feet under the boardroom table would have their powers massively reduced and their egos massively bruised.

The fact the sun broke the story is maybe the board flying a kite see what opinions they get back keeping kennedy in situ only undermines the new manager no other way of dressing this up the board want to keep there spy in the camp ,,,,the clipe gets to keep running upstairs
The Sun seems to be their organ of choice when leaking stories these days. Despicable, but not surprising.

You would have noticed I used the words “has to stay” and “I would prefer” in my post.

The point being.....and let me empathise matters.....if the powers that be have decided that JK “has to stay” “ I would prefer” it would be in a role he may have some experience in.....as opposed to a role he has no expertise in.

Hopefully that clarifies my view on things...
Wits he done at youth level to constitute him getting that job??

Wits he done at youth level to constitute him getting that job??

The point is.....if whoever is calling the shots at Celtic is adamant that John Kennedy is to stay employed at Celtic Park (I again emphasise the point, if he is definitely staying) then there is an arguement that he would be better suited to a role in youth developmental as opposed to being the main man.

Why? He successfully came through this coaching system himself at Celtic so he would personally know what it takes re the application, dedication, skills, single mindedness, belief, knowledge, et al, to make it at senior level.

He was also an excellent player too, which I’m sure younger players would appreciate and look up to. Some of the important requirements listed of a youth coach I would think. He also must have other positive personal and football traits as he is spoken well of by former players and coaches.

I again empathise, my opinion is made on the premise that he has to be accommodated at Celtic Park in some capacity.

Not one I agree with by the way. But if he has to remain, then youth development is where I feel he very well may be a good fit for the reasons stated previously.....if you don’t agree with my sentiments, then I’m happy to hear why you constructively think he would be a failure at this level.....over to you...

What's he done at any level? All this talk of the players love him is the exact same players who supposedly loved Lennon, yet downed tools on him. Has anyone ever heard a player when asked saying his coach or manager are shite?
Kennedy is complicit in this bollox of a season. Get him to fuck.
Exactly.i don't get this pish about keeping him in a job he's been part of the pish displays lately get him out to fuck

Members online

Latest posts

Back