Jonny Hayes-a-new-deal-now-would-be-a-knee-jerk-reaction-to-a-short-burst-of-form

Niall J

As the title says it may be an unpopular choice.

Hayes is showing some form but I think it's worth hanging fire for now on talk of a new deal. What's the view from The Noise?

I've never thought Johnny was Celtic class, but to be fair he's done well when stepping in this season and he'll work his arse off in every game. I don't see him as first pick first team player though, but I'd happily see him get a one year extension and remain part of the squad going forward, he's good back up.

My opinion would be to give him an extension. He is a hard working fairly talented utility player. He is handy to have on the bench as he can cover left back and attacking left winger, which frees up an extra game changing option on the bench. The season before we bought him he was the best non-Celtic player in Scotland so maybe a little unfair to suggest his form is short-term. He is very much a team player and we know he is settled and fits in with the squad whereas any new buy is always a gamble. Yes, he is a very low risk, cheap option, but sometimes we need a hard working terrier to battle against the brutal tactics employed by many other teams in Scotland.

I'd also extend Nir Bitton's contract as well, as he offers cover for holding midfield and both centre backs (and even right back at a push, if required), and is a calming influence with a fair amount of skill too.

I've never thought Johnny was Celtic class, but to be fair he's done well when stepping in this season and he'll work his arse off in every game. I don't see him as first pick first team player though, but I'd happily see him get a one year extension and remain part of the squad going forward, he's good back up.
Think theres merit for sure. I'd not want Taylor, O'Connor and Connel being held back if they are ready to step up though. Maybe Hayes could stunt that development

My opinion would be to give him an extension. He is a hard working fairly talented utility player. He is handy to have on the bench as he can cover left back and attacking left winger, which frees up an extra game changing option on the bench. The season before we bought him he was the best non-Celtic player in Scotland so maybe a little unfair to suggest his form is short-term. He is very much a team player and we know he is settled and fits in with the squad whereas any new buy is always a gamble. Yes, he is a very low risk, cheap option, but sometimes we need a hard working terrier to battle against the brutal tactics employed by many other teams in Scotland.

I'd also extend Nir Bitton's contract as well, as he offers cover for holding midfield and both centre backs (and even right back at a push, if required), and is a calming influence with a fair amount of skill too.
Good point on the bench Bridie but next season Connel can play the entire left side. O'Connor the entire backline. I have to admit though the brutality aspect of some teams could do with being mached and Hayes does get tore in (y)

There is certainly some truth Niall in what you said about holding the younger Bhoy,s back but I definitely think he deserves a thankyou for what he has done in our hour of need.
I think Johnny and Sincy are very much team players,both of them could have knocked on Lenny,s door many a time and asked the question,but being the professionals they are the have had the class and dignity to remain silent until spoken to..
I would look to see if I could find a case for Johnny to join the coaching team when he decides to hang up his boots..
HH.

I've never thought Johnny was Celtic class

Have to disagree with you there, Hoop. Jonny puts in the work and is ready to do whatever it takes. He's a "lunchpail guy" -- a worker bee who does anything he's asked -- and he's one of those guys (like Lenny) who is a good, not a great, player who knows the game well, and he'll probably go on to manage. In other words . . .

sometimes we need a hard working terrier to battle against the brutal tactics employed by many other teams in Scotland.

What Bridie said. Sign him. But as Niall wrote, there's no rush.

Never seen the point of signing him he had a good few seasons at the sheep and he was on the wane when we picked him up , he wasn't the player i wanted in our team said that quite a few times on the match day threads

He's like Bitton a good back up squad player who when picked gives his all , these days that type of player is harder to find ,he became a hun skelper this year and looks a more hungry player than when we signed him

so yep i would give him a deal his experience will help the young fellas coming through and i hear he's taking his coaching badges to

There is certainly some truth Niall in what you said about holding the younger Bhoy,s back but I definitely think he deserves a thankyou for what he has done in our hour of need.
I think Johnny and Sincy are very much team players,both of them could have knocked on Lenny,s door many a time and asked the question,but being the professionals they are the have had the class and dignity to remain silent until spoken to..
I would look to see if I could find a case for Johnny to join the coaching team when he decides to hang up his boots..
HH.
Very fair points fella. Is there scope for a coaching role at Celtic? Never heard he was doing badges like Broony. If it was a split contract between coaching and playing and not just jobs for the boys I could back that idea. Be a good influence on kids.

Good point, Niall. As an aside, we should have kept Lustig for the same reason (yes, I'm still bitter about that), as he may not have started, but he could have helped in developing the youngsters.
Think that one landed on the money aspect and length of deal sadly. Mind you keep lustig then no Harem. Get McMinn then no Christie. Looks good with benefit of hindsight larry👍

Scotland against Cyprus. Christie scored a nice one but Cyprus probably should have been in the lead as a screamer hit the bar bounced just over the line and came out. 1-0 after 25 minutes. Taylor, Forrest, MacGregor & Christie all playing.
Only kiddin mate i dont watch Scotland my team beat the Bosnians 3-0 yesterday

Members online

Latest posts

Back