Jota deal done?

Lots of sites saying he’s told Benfica he wants to join us on a permanent deal, quoted as £6.5 million fee…..now to get the CCV deal done,ange as rumoured to be receiving a £20 million war chest this year, the signing of both those players will cost around £14 million of that money,
Is that good business……I think so, both have proved their worth to the team 👍

Here's a little snippet to get people talking or angry .......
I live in Portugal. When I arrived back at my temporary digs yesterday Jota's face was all over the tv for about 15 mins. My dono (who is a lfelong Benfica fan) was on the phone so he had muted the tv. I came here (to the Noise) to find out what all the fuss was about. No real news. I came down later for dinner and asked him what was the news in regards to Jota. Had he signed for Celtic?
I was then told that the news concerned Celtic's decision to take up the option to sign Jota at the price agreed (all good so far) to in the loan deal BUT ...... the deal included a 30% (THIRTY PERCENT) sell on. I can't believe that Nicholson would agree to sich a high percentage for an academy player who could not get a game for Benfica. Incidentally, most of the Portuguese journalists are suggesting that this is a wonderful deal for Benfica and that Jota should make the move permanent because Jota would not get a game for Benfica
I believe that, to us, Jota represents reasonable value at the price quoted plus a loan fee (undisclosed) but to add a 30% sell on is nuts in my opinion.
In comparison to the Solbakken alternative deal, I think this is up for debate.

Lots of sites saying he’s told Benfica he wants to join us on a permanent deal, quoted as £6.5 million fee…..now to get the CCV deal done,ange as rumoured to be receiving a £20 million war chest this year, the signing of both those players will cost around £14 million of that money,
Is that good business……I think so, both have proved their worth to the team 👍
That seems to have been exposed as a furphy.... Actually the news was that Celtic had decided to take up the option to buy and have informed Benfica.

Here's a little snippet to get people talking or angry .......
I live in Portugal. When I arrived back at my temporary digs yesterday Jota's face was all over the tv for about 15 mins. My dono (who is a lfelong Benfica fan) was on the phone so he had muted the tv. I came here (to the Noise) to find out what all the fuss was about. No real news. I came down later for dinner and asked him what was the news in regards to Jota. Had he signed for Celtic?
I was then told that the news concerned Celtic's decision to take up the option to sign Jota at the price agreed (all good so far) to in the loan deal BUT ...... the deal included a 30% (THIRTY PERCENT) sell on. I can't believe that Nicholson would agree to sich a high percentage for an academy player who could not get a game for Benfica. Incidentally, most of the Portuguese journalists are suggesting that this is a wonderful deal for Benfica and that Jota should make the move permanent because Jota would not get a game for Benfica
I believe that, to us, Jota represents reasonable value at the price quoted plus a loan fee (undisclosed) but to add a 30% sell on is nuts in my opinion.
In comparison to the Solbakken alternative deal, I think this is up for debate.
That is the same as was reported last summer when he initially signed for us. As is normal, the 30% sell-on clause is only on the profit part of any subsequent transfer. Benfica loaned out another player at the same time on similar terms.

A 30% sell on fee seems ridiculous, as u say, for an unproven player.
Perhaps Celtic FC’s remarkable talent for snapping up cheap players and turning them into players worth tens of millions is coming back to haunt us in deals now.

That is the same as was reported last summer when he initially signed for us. The 30% sell-on clause is only on the profit part of any subsequent transfer. Benfica loaned out another player at the same time on similar terms.
Still far too high a sell on percentage, we develop the player and they get almost half the profit for doing nowt?

Still far too high a sell on percentage, we develop the player and they get almost half the profit for doing nowt?
Maybe mate but to get these types from these clubs we need to be bit wider about how we structcher it otherwise we need to pay that 30% the now if it's true it tells me they expect Jota to make us money ontop if 6.5 we need to pay so its a win win

That is the same as was reported last summer when he initially signed for us. As is normal, the 30% sell-on clause is only on the profit part of any subsequent transfer. Benfica loaned out another player at the same time on similar terms.
I understand it is only on the profit but this seems an exorbitant percentage to me. Have we ever made (let alone insisted on) anything higher than 15%?
It seems to me that we were agreeing to buy potential for 7.5 million euros for a kid from the academy who could not (and will not) get a game for his club. But 30% is adding insult to injury.
I didn't see any mention of the add on percentage when the deal was done.
What was our sell on with Eddy? or Tierney?

I get the sell on clause but maybe it is the Scot in me..... either we pay a high price for a player with perceived potential and no sell on, OR we pay a smaller fee (as he is untested) but with a sell on clause..... NOT BOTH

To be honest a don’t give a toss one way or’tuther how much we pay or how much we get off a player?as long as he does the biz for us while he wears the hoops,that’ll do for me,let the ones that get paid fortunes deal way that☘️☘️A don’t get any richer or poorer!!our club will survive.

To be honest a don’t give a toss one way or’tuther how much we pay or how much we get off a player?as long as he does the biz for us while he wears the hoops,that’ll do for me,let the ones that get paid fortunes deal way that☘️☘️A don’t get any richer or poorer!!our club will survive.
Exactly - as long as our club isn't run like the Kamikaze Klan across in Govan, then I really couldn't give a monkeys. It is what happens on the pitch that is important to me. A wee bit of speculating on players can pay off with success for the club - that is the sensible business model that most ambitious clubs use.

It was widely reported that Benfica changed their business model so instead of demanding transfers of around 10m euros for players like Jota they reduced their asking price but stacked up the sell-on clause.

Otherwise we could not have afforded Jota for the last season and he has arguably made the difference between us winning the league and the lucrative automatic place in the Champions League group stages and finishing second to our bitter rivals who would have received the guaranteed prize money from Europe.

Exactly - as long as our club isn't run like the Kamikaze Klan across in Govan, then I really couldn't give a monkeys. It is what happens on the pitch that is important to me. A wee bit of speculating on players can pay off with success for the club - that is the sensible business model that most ambitious clubs use.

It was widely reported that Benfica changed their business model so instead of demanding transfers of around 10m euros for players like Jota they reduced their asking price but stacked up the sell-on clause.

Otherwise we could not have afforded Jota for the last season and he has arguably made the difference between us winning the league and the lucrative automatic place in the Champions League group stages and finishing second to our bitter rivals who would have received the guaranteed prize money from Europe.
BB you say we could not have afforded an untried academy player for the last year. We paid a loan fee for the year. We have a buy clause at a top price and then you think it was good business to give away 30% of any profit we might make in the future.

Glad you are not running the club.

BB you say we could not have afforded an untried academy player for the last year. We paid a loan fee for the year. We have a buy clause at a top price and then you think it was good business to give away 30% of any profit we might make in the future.
Yes, I am saying that we would not have spent 10m euros on an unproven graduate with a lot of potential, whereas a loan deal with the option to buy IF he was successful was affordable.

I am also saying that personally I don't care - I want the best team on the pitch that we can afford playing attractive football which hopefully brings some success. Football is a release for me away from the pressures of real life. I play my part in the running of a very highly successful business group as my day job so will let the very highly rewarded people at Celtic Park worry about our finances of our club as I am not responsible for those decisions and get no reward if we continue to make decent profits skimmed off as bonuses before being ploughed back into the club's coffers. If these people start failing us then I will raise my concerns at that point.

Personally I think we have been too frugal in the last 10 years. I also believe we are better off spending responsibly early on on affordable players who will improve your side before the start of the season rather than seeing what is available in the bargain bin on 31st August as that results in a more haphazard recruitment of players. I think the last 2 transfer windows have suggested that this is indeed the correct approach.

Great news, now let's hope we get CCV deal done early too, then give Ange the money too strengthen were he thinks necessary. Also get rid of Ajetti, Barkas, Boli.

Because we know the Klan need a major rebuild & they aren't exactly flush with cash, also their playing assets Karmara, Kunt & Fat Fred are all entering the last year of they're contracts & no new deals on the table.

Aye, I get frustrated by how our board acts sometimes regards transfers, but remember what happened too Rangers 1872 spending money they didn't have, looks like theRangers 2012 Edition are making the same mistakes as the Oldco.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇮🇪☘ONE CLUB SINCE 1888☘🇮🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Loan deals are the best way to go, as long as there’s a cast iron buying price/clause, we need to see if their any good and fit into Scottish football, look at the wee player the Huns got oan loan fae Man U, and Ramsey, ones made of glass wi chocolate legs and the other looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights, £37 million he cost apparently 🤣

Members online

Latest posts

Back