Kennedy tipped to be DOF working with Lenny.

Theverdict1

I think if this happens itcsends a clear message that all the dreams of being at the top table are dead.

My overriding feeling when Rogers left was why? If he wasn’t backed then thinking Lenny would be, I feel is futile. If we don’t invest we will continue our decline that we have witnessed since the Invincible year, to a point where Sevco could win the league.

I said it at the time, Rogers leaving wasn’t our biggest problem. Lawell and his total lack of balls staying was.

If Kennedy gets this post I think it’s unjustified and going for a cheap option. Add to that Lenny’s game management against the dons and I am filled with anything but hope. Everybody who watched the game knew it wasn’t working and his subs did fuck all. He left Burke on far too long when he was having a howler.

What do you think about the appointment of Kennedy as DOF under Lenny? Inspired or the cheap option that again shows ambition is dead at CP?

I think if this happens itcsends a clear message that all the dreams of being at the top table are dead.

My overriding feeling when Rogers left was why? If he wasn’t backed then thinking Lenny would be, I feel is futile. If we don’t invest we will continue our decline that we have witnessed since the Invincible year, to a point where Sevco could win the league.

I said it at the time, Rogers leaving wasn’t our biggest problem. Lawell and his total lack of balls staying was.

If Kennedy gets this post I think it’s unjustified and going for a cheap option. Add to that Lenny’s game management against the dons and I am filled with anything but hope. Everybody who watched the game knew it wasn’t working and his subs did fuck all. He left Burke on far too long when he was having a howler.

What do you think about the appointment of Kennedy as DOF under Lenny? Inspired or the cheap option that again shows ambition is dead at CP?
I think you are jumping the gun when you state kennedy would be unjustified if he got the role, the guy has been around football all his life and has worked under the best management and directorships which make Celtic the strong brand that we have witnessed for years. Rodgers took with him Toure and Davis neither have the experience of bueractic experience that kennedy has, Toure was a player only and Davies a coach, Kennedy has been both of them and more. He is a dyed in the wool Celtic first man also, you are predicting Sevco winning a title you do not state in what century.
Surely you must base the position in the campaigns based on what and who is driving the sucess, put some meat on your arguments or give up the deludomol, Celtic at this point are winning the title and if the board have their way they will see the Scottish cup date 25th May 2019 as an oppurtunity to nail the lid even tighter on the Sevco coffin.
Cannot agree with you but you are entitled to your opinion as that is I suppose all it is.

While I agree that John Kennedy does not have the experience or expertise to be considered for the post of Director of Football, there has to be scope to develop our backroom and coaching staff for alternative roles within the set-up.

If we consider player development as a critical part of our future, we have to apply the same principles to the development of coaches.

Is it possible to affect a change in mindset?

That's a question beyond my pay grade, but I'd rather the Director of Football role wasn't allocated to a high-profile wage monkey, who is merely looking at it as a stepping stone to the EPL.

It's fair to say that the performance against Aberdeen wasn't the most inspiring, but can we please put this back into perspective.

Aberdeen's performance against sevco showed that they're no mugs. They're hardly world beaters, but they're well-drilled and capable on their day. Lenny's been out-of-the-loop for almost 5 seasons. There have been enough changes in personnel to give pause, there has also been a significant adjustment in how we set up and in our footballing philosophy since NL's first tenure.

The man needs a bit of time to implement his ideas and he's negotiated three tough games without yielding any ground.

The old dynasty were mentioned briefly on another thread. Their arrogance, greed and procrastination very, very nearly put Celtic in an unnecessary early grave. No one is suggesting that Lawwell, Bankier and Desmond are beyond criticism, but the club is stable and relatively healthy by any standard.

I repeat myself constantly and here I go again. It's all well and good being critical of our board, often the criticism is warranted, but who is a more adequate set of replacements to come in and advance us?

I hate that finance is the final word in football, but by fuck - it's the world we live in and we have to cut our cloth accordingly in order to survive.

There have been comparisons made to Ajax recently and that is a fair benchmark, there is definitely room to develop and we certainly have to streamline and look at the areas where we're spending money, but in all fairness, if someone told us 25-years ago that we would be on the threshold of a third successive treble - you would have asked who their crack dealer was?

I understand your fears but I am not gonna write off lenny on one poor but unbeaten performance. JK may well be a very talented individual, I don't see him at his work but maybe people have been watching him and reckoned he fits the bill. He may be a cheaper option but price isn't everything. Sevco could have found cheaper options than Gerrard, De Foe and Davis and I bet they're kicking themselves now that they didn't. Let's support Lenny to get us the magic TT. Yes if he makes an arse of it, I don't think he will but I do have reservations as to whether he can move us forward, we then will have to get the finger out regarding a new appointment but I would like to think that alternatives are being thought about. HH

I understand your fears but I am not gonna write off lenny on one poor but unbeaten performance. JK may well be a very talented individual, I don't see him at his work but maybe people have been watching him and reckoned he fits the bill. He may be a cheaper option but price isn't everything. Sevco could have found cheaper options than Gerrard, De Foe and Davis and I bet they're kicking themselves now that they didn't. Let's support Lenny to get us the magic TT. Yes if he makes an arse of it, I don't think he will but I do have reservations as to whether he can move us forward, we then will have to get the finger out regarding a new appointment but I would like to think that alternatives are being thought about. HH
Tend to agree L,if we wish to continue on our road we will need experience at the top, who that will be ,?your guess as good as mine or every other fan,but hope to god we strengthen from a position of strength!we have sevco by the balls, lets squeeze as hard as hell and put them in their place once and for all,keep our foot on their throats,they deserve fck all,hh

Inspired.

Celtic man.
Knows all he positive things and systems that Rodgers introduced, but not an inspired choice for manager.
Lennon is inspired choice of manager and since he appears to want gig Im right behind him.

Spending money is only the corrct thing to do if its risk assessed spending which adds net present value on and off the field.

What does that mean?

The risk is worth taking.
Risk is necessary but excessive risks destroys value.
If you destroy financial value then ultimately you destroy on field value.
But vice a versa
If you dont add value on pitch you cant add value off pitch.

Long term v short term.

Sometimes aading long term value means taking hit today.
But at same time, taking too big risk today might destroy long term value.

So the important part always is net present value.

Which is having a sharp team in finance matters to balance the sharp team in football matters which will create value added risk appraisals.

If the risk assessment team is good then value can be added on and off the field.

Both are equally important for sustainable growth.

Celtic need to work out which market best suits their sustainable future.
Which might mean investing heavily in better youth development rather than buying finished articles.

All the clubs that add value short and long term in sustainable fashion but dont play in subsidised leagues must adapt best practise for that clubs direct challenges.

And since all the best clubs in Celtics risk category use DOF then perhaps Kennedy is inspired choice.

If it means we create better Scottish Celtic players then its a win win.

Loyalty
Ability
culturally suited to the game here

Adding better value at lower costs by creating better youth systems while supplemented by value added, cost effective, sustainable, risk assessed experience.

Kennedy and Lennon tick the boxes for me.
But time will tell.

Mercenaries to supplement team and hopefully sell for big bucks.
Youth for long term self sustainablility and building a solid cultural core to team.

The bottom line with me is I am worried about how serious we are about improving. I accept that with the appointment of Rogers I felt we would improve year on year. That didn’t happen and will always be difficult when we sell our best players and replace them with players not as good.

Who have we actually brought in to replace outgoing talent? Who have we brought in to improve us defensively? Who have we brought in to give teams a game in Europe?

This year we lost a lot of games by previous standards. Is that down to other teams suddenly becoming very good, or us stalling so they caught up?

I know what my answer to that is. If these appointments are going to happen I feel this may be a signal that we have accepted even going to the dinner, never mind having a seat at the top table was a delusion.

With our over inflated wage bill, if we don’t have CL money we will have severe financial problems. Most of our signings are on a minimum four year contract. Most wont contribute to our first team either. Getting rid of players on good wages who don’t play at all is difficult. We need a massive ckearout of the projects, but who will buy them?

We have deteriorated as a force year on year since Rogers arrived. Last summers inactivity put us further behind the 8 ball. My fear is we are settling to remain there.

I hope to fuck I am wrong, but I am expressing fears that the direction we are moving in seems to validate that feeling.

Again we need to wait until the summer to see how serious we are as world club to throw a punch. After last summer, I won’t be holding my breath. And finally, I love Lenny, he us the guy for right now. I am however not convinced he is the guy to take us where we want to be. Again, I hope I’m wrong, but I would be lying if I said I was confident he would.

To me it depends on the attitude of the board. Are they happy turning a profit and paying dividends ? Are they content with domestic domination and laughing at ranjerks? Do they feeling the "next step" is fraught with financial difficulties.
If the answer to the above questions is yes then making JK DoF makes financial sense.
Who knows? The guy might be made for the job. If this is the route the board are taking them let's get behind the lad and see where it takes us.

The bottom line with me is I am worried about how serious we are about improving. I accept that with the appointment of Rogers I felt we would improve year on year. That didn’t happen and will always be difficult when we sell our best players and replace them with players not as good.

Who have we actually brought in to replace outgoing talent? Who have we brought in to improve us defensively? Who have we brought in to give teams a game in Europe?

This year we lost a lot of games by previous standards. Is that down to other teams suddenly becoming very good, or us stalling so they caught up?

I know what my answer to that is. If these appointments are going to happen I feel this may be a signal that we have accepted even going to the dinner, never mind having a seat at the top table was a delusion.

With our over inflated wage bill, if we don’t have CL money we will have severe financial problems. Most of our signings are on a minimum four year contract. Most wont contribute to our first team either. Getting rid of players on good wages who don’t play at all is difficult. We need a massive ckearout of the projects, but who will buy them?

We have deteriorated as a force year on year since Rogers arrived. Last summers inactivity put us further behind the 8 ball. My fear is we are settling to remain there.

I hope to fuck I am wrong, but I am expressing fears that the direction we are moving in seems to validate that feeling.

Again we need to wait until the summer to see how serious we are as world club to throw a punch. After last summer, I won’t be holding my breath. And finally, I love Lenny, he us the guy for right now. I am however not convinced he is the guy to take us where we want to be. Again, I hope I’m wrong, but I would be lying if I said I was confident he would.

we brought in 39 mill when you add the 9 mill clearout of the Mgt team. We are covered for next
season as the risks have been met thats what Lawwell does thats why DD trusts in him, he wakes up and 9 mill is in the bank and sharholders are on the phone praisng the bit of business to tie them into the get out clause.

I'm all for creating a Director of Football role at the club and have already given my views on the 'Where Do We All Stand on Lenny' thread on how I would like to see it set up and the benefits of that particular approach so I'm not going to go into the detail again but for me personally appointing John Kennedy would not only be the wrong choice but a lazy, short-sighted and uninspired one at that and and I'd rather we just forgot about the whole DoF idea altogether if we're going to go down that road.

While it utterly baffles me to this day why JK came in for a torrent of dog's abuse from some during our sticky spells under BR it would equally baffle me if he was appointed DoF. Aye he's a Celtic man who knows the club and aye he helped steady the ship when BR done his midnight flit but how does ANY of that even begin to translate to him being a credible choice as DoF at Celtic Football Club?

I'm sorry but being a first team coach and a 'Celtic man' does not make him in any way qualified for a role like this and tbh I think it's sentiment getting in the way of sound judgement to even entertain the idea that he is. This isn't something we can just say 'och well he's a loyal Tim so let's just give him the job' because if we're being serious about this then we're talking about a complete top to bottom overhaul and restructuring of our entire football operation. Everything from coaching, scouting and recruitment at ALL levels will be under the DoF's charge not to mention there will be a host of other duties and responsibilities as well as a substantial financial cost that'll come with all this, so are we seriously talking about handing ALL that power and responsibility over to someone so utterly unqualified on so many levels just because he's a 'good Celtic man' who's got some coaching experience and helps out in other areas from time to time? Again sorry but that would be complete and utter madness and downright irresponsible of the board to even contemplate doing such a thing!

Listen I like JK and I think he should always have a place at the club but DoF ffs? This one is seriously for the birds!

Have to admit that I don't even know what the job description is for a DOF. Does anybody? :unsure:
I guess it varies from club to club , and the level the club is competing at .. a lot of what Andy mentions above , and possibly much more ; overseeing training scheduling and medical issues , contracts , finance etc . Another name ( title ) we see banded about , mainly in the bigger European clubs is that of Sporting Directors.. would such clubs also have a DOF .. ?

Last edited:
Is this a reliable story anyway? Another deflection? The snake has done the dirty on us and next seasons signings were always going to be a tricky task even before his desertion. However we can't take our eyes off the ball until we achieve our ambitions for this season, keep calm and focus. Bring on Dundee.

Back