Ladies and gentlemen of the Noise , is Scott Brown our greatest captain since Billy McNeill?

The fact that it was at the shithole made it even worse. That was also the day I realised that I hated Gordon Marshall for a reason and that Charlie Nicholas maybe should have just retired from football as soon as he scored.

It was also the day that I thought I would never see Celtic win another trophy. At least we didn't have to wait too long for that fear to go away.

My first ever Celtic game was V Raith Rovers...Big Tam Gemmell played a blinder :)

Impossible question to answer , really . Different eras , different teams ( in terms of quality etc... ) , different opposition .... we could argue all year about who is ''The Best !'' but it depends on what you are looking for in a captain .

Big Billy will always be my No 1 as he was the man who lifted the European cup .

Broony in terms of winning the Treble Treble is a contender for next in line , but even without the trophy haul he has shown himself almost unequalled at lifting the team and driving them on when times are tough- even if the team doesn't always rise to his example .
Other Celtic teams haven't always needed a hard driving captain ( the Lisbon Lions ) and some have had several big inspirations to rely on when required ( Larsson +Sutton +Petrov etc..) .

HH

Best captain very debatable. different era's, different football styles as systems changed. For me Billy McNeil as I was 7 when he lifted ol big ears. He and that Suberb bunch of players gave me years of pleasure. Big Roy defo a leader, Paul truly world class could have played for any team in the world. He would have went down as one of the best players in world football.
Broony different qualities, I remember when he played for hibs, a marauding midfielder creating havoc and scoring goals. He came to us and his remit was changed to being a holding, breakup player, with great strength and courage. Over the years he has matured, he is dynamic gets in the face of opposition. He has been so impressive over the years, giving encouragement and driving g our team forward on many occasions. I don't think we will recognise this until he retires. personally Billy, but all others are standing shoulder to shoulder with him.

Best captain very debatable. different era's, different football styles as systems changed. For me Billy McNeil as I was 7 when he lifted ol big ears. He and that Suberb bunch of players gave me years of pleasure. Big Roy defo a leader, Paul truly world class could have played for any team in the world. He would have went down as one of the best players in world football.
Broony different qualities, I remember when he played for hibs, a marauding midfielder creating havoc and scoring goals. He came to us and his remit was changed to being a holding, breakup player, with great strength and courage. Over the years he has matured, he is dynamic gets in the face of opposition. He has been so impressive over the years, giving encouragement and driving g our team forward on many occasions. I don't think we will recognise this until he retires. personally Billy, but all others are standing shoulder to shoulder with him.

I am thinking we are around the same age and yes, Broony will become a legend in history, It is really a difficult choice.....Apart from lifting the Big Cup ...Billy didn't go through the 'injured leg' period that Bronny had to....But, if pushed, I would go for Billy....because of witnessed history

I am thinking we are around the same age and yes, Broony will become a legend in history, It is really a difficult choice.....Apart from lifting the Big Cup ...Billy didn't go through the 'injured leg' period that Bronny had to....But, if pushed, I would go for Billy....because of witnessed history
Likewise, spoilt, but what a wonderful team. We have been through the good and bad years, but we are still here. The proud es beating in our hearts. Hopefully Lenny and this group of players and the young ones in the wings will give us many great games and trophies both at home and in Europe (get back our reputation for playing attractive, winning football that our fans and others can look on in awe).

Brown has been a magnificent captain for us and he leads by example and has pulled some very mediocre players and teams along to carve out a magnificent history. McGrain etc were great players but they did not have the leadership qualities of Brown. The fact the huns hate him so much is the fact that he's so effective. I get that he is at the end of the road (almost) but the sheer numbers of games he has bossed from start to finish - magnificent servant to our club. Has managed personal tragedy and supported others within the team and not missed a game - BROONY!

There is a case for every name which has been mentioned as our greatest captain..
Steviebhoy just mentioned Danny McGrain,without a doubt the greatest fullback the world has seen.
Paul McStay,Roy Aitken,Paul Lambert,,all great Celtic captains of their era.
If I had to name the greatest leader we have ever had I would have to say big Billy because of what he and his Bhoy,s achieved..
They were the forefathers of European cup winners in the U.K. they opened the European door for every other club in Britain,that is something which can never be replicated,,,they were the first team in the U.K. to reach two European cup finals and should have been the first team in the U.K. TO WIN two European cups,,unfortunately it was not to be..
Could Broony go on and become our greatest captain,,I personall dont think so,,he has too much first time history to overcome,asI mentioned two European cup finals and the first 9 IAR..
Is Broony a great captain ???? without a doubt,,he is the greatest captain of the modern era and I am sure he has more to do before he hangs them up for the last time..
HH..

There is a case for every name which has been mentioned as our greatest captain..
Steviebhoy just mentioned Danny McGrain,without a doubt the greatest fullback the world has seen.
Paul McStay,Roy Aitken,Paul Lambert,,all great Celtic captains of their era.
If I had to name the greatest leader we have ever had I would have to say big Billy because of what he and his Bhoy,s achieved..
They were the forefathers of European cup winners in the U.K. they opened the European door for every other club in Britain,that is something which can never be replicated,,,they were the first team in the U.K. to reach two European cup finals and should have been the first team in the U.K. TO WIN two European cups,,unfortunately it was not to be..
Could Broony go on and become our greatest captain,,I personall dont think so,,he has too much first time history to overcome,asI mentioned two European cup finals and the first 9 IAR..
Is Broony a great captain ???? without a doubt,,he is the greatest captain of the modern era and I am sure he has more to do before he hangs them up for the last time..
HH..
Green Sprig Scotland have suffered also since he decided he had enough of that pish.

Green Sprig Scotland have suffered also since he decided he had enough of that pish.
Scotland have suffered for years in not choosing the best players available (Celtic). They went with thems, but they picked and chose which games to play in, even management decided I'm going back to ma favourite team. no respect shown to their country. They were hopeless anyway. But sfa still persisted with mc leish.

Scotland have suffered for years in not choosing the best players available (Celtic). They went with thems, but they picked and chose which games to play in, even management decided I'm going back to ma favourite team. no respect shown to their country. They were hopeless anyway. But sfa still persisted with mc leish.
When you look at the amount of caps the lions got for Scotland, it's an absolute scandal.Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face! Greig 44 Cesar 29.

Members online

Latest posts

Back