Ladies and gentlemen of the Noise , is Scott Brown our greatest captain since Billy McNeill?

Calmac wouldn't be my first choice either as he doesn't look to be the same leader of men like Ajer. Just pray to God we can hang on to him. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
Big Thor is not only the leader of men, he is the leader of Gods, Shammy. Even Odin shites it when big Kris is swinging his hammer and El Loki Morelos is still to be found living in his back pocket to this day.

Aww come on, Ped.........what aboot Evander Sno and his size 15 feet? Not only was he so good that he could beat himself, he also gave himself heart palpitations with his natural 'talent and ability'.

Big Bhoy likes to beat up bouncy bouncers too.......
Forgot about him๐Ÿค” and what about that absolute steal from arsenal Martin Hayes , Johnny's uncle I watched him through a Hayes of tears

When you look at the amount of caps the lions got for Scotland, it's an absolute scandal.Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face! Greig 44 Cesar 29.
The list goes on Galway,
Jinky 23 caps (ffs)
Bobby Murdoch 12 caps
Tommy Gemmill 18 caps
Bobby Lennox 10 caps
Stevie Chalmers 5 caps!
Bertie Auld 3 caps, I'll say that again because it's hard to believe, Bertie Auld 3 fucking miserable caps!!
The only explanation is the runjurs team during this era must have been awash with amazing talents, strange then that they won close to fuck all!
Go further back and we have James McGrory, British footballs all time top goal scorer, 7 Scotland caps and he scored 6 times in those 7 appearances!

It kinda stinks eh?

Scott Brown is probably our greatest ever captain....what??? Better than Billy? What the fuck do you know Dicco, hun etc??

Well, he is....here's why.

Billy had 10 other Scottish, mostly working class Celtic fans around him... guys who grew up knowing all about our history, heritage and ethos..he had. Captains all around him...

Broony has had to lead, school and carry lads from the four corners of the world. Players who play mostly for a career ,money and not purely for their love of our club..most of the players he has lead on and off the park knew virtually nothing about Celtic and living in Scotland....what he has achieved and the fact that he now stands on the cusp of greatness , for me makes broony our greatest on field leader

Last edited:
Docco, I'm not sure this thread was designed to start a competition. I think it was an opportunity for folk to express an opinion on their memories and thoughts of what makes a Celtic captain.

I happen to agree with many of your observations on Scott Brown, but what you're describing there means that the captain deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for his services to the international community.

Whilst he deserves all of the accolades, Celtic learnt a lot of lessons from the Stan Petrov debacle and have been at the forefront in ensuring that foreign players from different cultural backgrounds get the opportunity to integrate. For as much as I appreciate your acknowledgement of Broonie, it's not solely his domain to welcome new players. I think it's a bit insulting to some very decent players to suggest that Broonie "carried them". He has been an integral part of the team and made a much valued contribution, but there were other fine players who also made their mark and this current Celtic side could never be regarded as a one-man team.

He's definitely up there in the pantheon of Celtic greats though and if he does skipper us to 10 and notches another few pieces of silverware, then he certainly has the credentials for the title of Greatest Celtic Captsin.

The op suggested that Broony is our greatest captain SINCE big Billy. I think there's no doubt Cesar will always be the No1 captain in the eyes of most supporters but the time will soon come when a generation of fans will never have seen Billy play apart from watching reruns of 1967 and of him lifting the big cup.
Just like McGrory and Larsron. The past fades and the future shines for the young ones who will only have our word for it or outdated footage of a game that may have changed, my boys laugh at the passback and charging the keeper with your shoulder, but that was the rules then.

Docco, I'm not sure this thread was designed to start a competition. I think it was an opportunity for folk to express an opinion on their memories and thoughts of what makes a Celtic captain.

I happen to agree with many of your observations on Scott Brown, but what you're describing there means that the captain deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for his services to the international community.

Whilst he deserves all of the accolades, Celtic learnt a lot of lessons from the Stan Petrov debacle and have been at the forefront in ensuring that foreign players from different cultural backgrounds get the opportunity to integrate. For as much as I appreciate your acknowledgement of Broonie, it's not solely his domain to welcome new players. I think it's a bit insulting to some very decent players to suggest that Broonie "carried them". He has been an integral part of the team and made a much valued contribution, but there were other fine players who also made their mark and this current Celtic side could never be regarded as a one-man team.

He's definitely up there in the pantheon of Celtic greats though and if he does skipper us to 10 and notches another few pieces of silverware, then he certainly has the credentials for the title of Greatest Celtic Captsin.

Wee bit of over analysis on your part thb

The thread Title

" is Scott Brown our greatest captain since Billy McNeill?"

I answered..no competition as you put it...just fact opinion and observations...and yes, I do believe he has carried and raised the game of some ordinary players in his time as leader

Spherical, you think that if we win 10 that makes broony better than Cesar ?
And a whole new debate opens up , for me thinking about it canโ€™t call it , history never to be repeated , in saying that , can we get 9 first , please ๐Ÿ™

Spherical, you think that if we win 10 that makes broony better than Cesar ?
And a whole new debate opens up , for me thinking about it canโ€™t call it , history never to be repeated , in saying that , can we get 9 first , please ๐Ÿ™
Naw, not at all TT, I think it gives him a basis from which to make the claim, but I'm not of the opinion that Cesar can be matched in terms of trophies won or in terms of the dignity and conduct of a Celtic skipper.

Members online

Latest posts

Back