Larsson was better than Johnstone......

Two very different players so it's hard to call. I was lucky enough to see both.
Henrik a very intelligent skillful finisher. Top drawer.
Jinky was more of an entertainer. He would deliberately dribble past say 3 players then stop till they came back and beat them again. The crowd loved it.
One a winger one a striker.
Can't call it.
Loved them both.

I Started following Celtic in the 69/70, Jinky was an exceptionally talent player of that era, any comparison with Larrson is wrong, players from different eras, would Henki have stood the punishment dished out by the butchers of Madrid in 74.

Both deserve their status as Celtic Legends, for me Jinky shades it for Winning the BIG CUP

Never mind that!!!
The hacks are pushing if Sevco win the final it’ll be a greater achievement than the Lisbon Lions!!! Wee Kenny Miller, Boyd, Keech Jerkoff…they’ve always gotta fimd an angle haven’t they?
A sure sign of a support base that live in our shadow.
Don’t remember reading the English press saying Utd winning the Europa was better than the busby babes….they have no shame up here.

Like yourself, Docco - Henrik was, by some clear distance, the greatest Celtic player I've had the good fortune to see in the flesh - and like your Da', my own Faither answered, almost as quickly, that Larsson was also his choice.

The logic behind his decision was also very similar to your own thoughts. Although Jinky was (without any doubt) a magnificent player, he was also helped by the fact that Celtic had one or two other world-class players who could share the load. Even those who were not world-class were still international-class and far superior to your average player, even in a golden age of Scottish football.

Henrik didn't always have that luxury and had to carry the team on his own on many occasions. Larsson was also an outstanding technical footballer and was so much more than just a goalscorer. I believe his best game for Celtic was the night Celtic destroyed a strong Lyon side at Parkhead and he never got a sniff of a goal. He just popped up left, right and centre and displayed a passing and crossing range that the French just could not cope with.

As far as goals go - he scored all types of goal: tap-ins, from distance, lobs, dinks and curlers, set-pieces and (man oh man) those headers.

I'm not going to lose much sleep over who was the better player, but Jinky himself waxed lyrical over Henrik and we also have to consider that Larsson went on to become a game-changer at Barcelona and also a significant cameo player on-loan at Man United.

I'm happy enough to know that Jinky is regarded as our greatest ever. I'm sure different generations might have opted for Jimmy McGrory, Patsy Gallagher or Charlie Tully, but for me - I feel privileged and blessed to have had the great fortune to watch Henrik Larsson and Celtic fans should be thankful that such great players have graced Our Hoops.

Now.........if only we got Lubo 5-years before we did???

Xxx

Wee edit here: I have to add, my Da' was convinced that George Connolly would have been regarded as the greatest ever Celt if he could have only conquered his own self-doubt and other well-documented issues.

I would say only maybe Kyogo and Oriley out of that group. Definitely not Maeda, only his effort makes up for his lack of footballing skills
There's something there, Mik........he's not a showboater and he doesn't have natural ability, but I think of Vardy down at Leicester and he would be the ideal player for that type of system.

Of course, we don't play that game, but I reckon Ange took a hard lesson in Europe this season and might change things up in the Champions League, I think that's where we might see the real value in Maeda.

Members online

Latest posts

Back