Lee Congerton Celtic Scout system

Unless I have missed the links then it appears that Congerton has zero recent credibility, zero scouted unknown players or ones that proved a great buy financially in the past several years, that he is credited for by any club. He must talk a excellent job while not actually producing anything.

Red Bull Salzburg the other night showed what scouts can produce on a limited budget, most of their players were signed for money we can afford, 2 to 3 million, Moanes Dabour was the most expensive at around 5 million, and with respect to Eddie who is a good prospect, Dabour is obviously a far more experienced and nearer the complete striker than Eddie is currently.

Can't find it right now, but there was a twitter post that showed the transfer costs of their team the other night; the summary lesson highlighted was that the assumed better finances of Red Bull were just not credible, at least in terms of signings.

Last edited:
No read to much aboot the guy n no sure of his back ground. But if he relies on stats to pick players he basically playing football manager n we can all dae that. Whit happened to havin the likes ae David Hay etc talent spotting buying a player for x position. Watching players in action and speaking to people who know them, priceless. Moravcik anyone.

Sounds like the breadman #joker me no laughin anymore ?

Yeah Congerton worked with Rodgers at Chelsea, so they have a long standing relationship. His time at Hamburg and Sunderland apparently leaves a lot to be desired, but it’s hard to assess if he’s done anything since he’s been here. As I understand it we’ve been looking at Benkovic for a while, so if we do sign him tonight his identification could pre date Congerton’s arrival. Bain, Hendry, Morgan and Mulumbu were playing in Scotland, so presumably Rodgers could pass his own judgment on them. Arzani came from Man City, so it’s unlikly we had to do much scouting there. Not sure how Edouard was scouted, so he could be from Congerton, and there’s apparently evidence Compper was scouted by him in his time in Germany.
I think anyone else signed by Rodgers came in before Congerton arrived, so it’s potentially one good signing and one bad. Who have we avoided signing? That’s part of the question too, are we missing out on potential stars, or avoiding potential donkeys? How long does a new scouting set up take to get going? John Park apparently had some big successes, but how long had he been at the club before they arrived?

Still take John Park any day of the week.

Celtic from top to bottom is looking tired and clueless and tbh its just no right.

There seems to be various elements ruining our club from within and i’m ? of it.

Congerton was clearly brought in to please Brendan. I understand that Congleton is not under Brendans direct management but was a kind of balance between Board and Football Department.

I have been told that Brendan identifies what type of player he is looking for, then Congleton and his team come up with a list which Brendan approves(or not). This gives Celtic options in order of preference. These players are handed to the Commercial people who approach the target players club for permission to speak. This usually involves a negotiation on the transfer fee. Brendan is involved during the negotiation as it is his Budget. If a fee is agreed than the Commercial Department negotiate with the player and his agent on wages. Brendan then has the final say on the deal. if there is no deal then the process starts again with the next player on the list.

Now Paddy McCourt told a different story about how it was with Dermot Desmond who phoned Peter Lawwell and then he was signed. Unknown, to Paddy, I think there would be more consideration within scouting and Football Departments before he was signed. Paddy said that Strachan knew nothing about it. This is not how we were publically told how it worked.

Brendans complaints about how his targets weren't landed would seem to suggest that these players were within Budget but the deals weren't closed by the Commercial Team. However, there was probably an element of being gazumped by other clubs in his frustration.

Commper and some other signing give us cause for concern as our First team squad is now 33. It would seem that De Vries, Compper, Ralston, Bitton Allan and Benyu are unlikely to figure in the team at any time with Hazard, Gamboa, Kouassi, Arzani and Hayes unlikely to figure without significant injuries. This is a concern.

Dorus and Compper are on the tata channel and i never want to see either in the hoops again.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/red-...09/plus/0?saison_id=2016&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=
You can adjust the years and see how their scouting system has worked, apart from Moanes Dabour who was signed for 5.4 million, most were bought for under 2 million. Their back up striker Fredrik Gulbrandsen is as good as what we have right now
He was signed in 15/17 for 720k, after being signed by Molde in 13/14 previous for 360k so these decent strikers for little money are around. A budget version of Shaqiri

Takumi Minamino was 720k
Red Bull tracked him for a year and a half (doubt they spoke to the press or club media as if he was already their player) before signing him on 7 January 2015, on a contract running until 2018 with the option of a further year.

How it can and should be done.
Not every signing is going to work, we all know that, but seriously Congerton has done nothing since joining and as mentioned appears to have a recent history of providing nothing but mystery and negativity.

Sunderland fans views
Is it any real surprise that #Celtic are hitting the bricks, and their problems are being blamed on player recruitment, when their head of player recruitment is.... Lee Congerton???#SAFC

— E-Sunderland (@e_sunderland) August 15, 2018

Interesting. Congerton was a complete failure with us at #safc Looks like he is maybe the same with Celtic. Some clubs never learn.
— Gerry McGregor (@Gerry_McGregor) August 15, 2018

Lee Congerton and a mess in the same sentence...again #safc https://t.co/b7Ena1sFyd
— Paul Hadley (@psafcred) August 14, 2018

Watched the last 15mins of the Celtic game and they were talking about how poor their recruitment has been this summer. Who's name crops up in the same discussion? None other than Lee Congerton. Been there, done that, paid the price. #SAFC #Celtic
— Rob Raine (@RobRaine180) August 14, 2018

See that Lee Congerton is working his magic at Celtic now. How this fraud gets any job is a complete mystery
— Sunderland Fan (@FulwellEnderFTM) August 14, 2018

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/08/1...uss-lee-congertons-celtic-role-amid-transfer/

Last edited:
Fair points as it is true that we are kept in the dark and do not really know what Congerton does (he has a history of this mystery-man - read Sunderland fans concerns) at Celtic.
We should support and respect all Celtic employees (especially the majority who are employed on
just around a living wage) unless proven unworthy, but if we don't raise opinions and questions on the top earners and influencers and just assume all's well then at best we will be taken for granted at worst taken for a ride and will be paying for it, and history proves that time and time again in every business.

Maybe Congerton had suggested gems and was just ignored, I think unlikely but there is more going on here with Congerton than the lack of any gem signings plus the obvious duds like Compper and poss Hendry! and the 2 supposed missed summer signings mentioned above! Did we even need a scout for them or any SPFL player to be suggested?
The main concern is his track record in recent times which can be summarized as Negative. Read above links re Sunderland! that is not one or two fringe fans that is the consensus.

If as reported Congerton believes that scouting players it really all about data driven stats or even mostly about stats then we should be concerned where it is going.
Stinks of a scam in the early days of I.T. when the naïve paid ott for spouted nonsense and off the shelf systems.

Problem is Brendan is sometimes a loyal beyond sense guy as Lustig the liability proves!
I love Lustig and he was once a great player but for well over a year now he is either past it or being coached badly. BR does not see that when I believe most Celtic fans do.
Do we keep quiet and give Lustig continued benefit of the doubt, likewise Congerton has been here long enough now to see a trend.

We are making assumptions that he is to blame for a lack of quality. I will repeat, we don’t know this is his fault. Nobody apart from the hierarchy and Rogers do. We don’t know so to call him out because the Sunderland fans didn’t like him is irrational. The guy might be Fucking useless or he might be a genius, until we get information about who was on the list Rogers was pissed off about, then and only then can an assessment of what he is doing can be fairly made.

People who call for his head without having the first Fucking clue what is going on are convicting a guy on a feeling. Insanity and unfair. Wait until we find out. As for Lawell? I know the Disco Kid fucked up the McGinn transfer. Never bought any defenders that cost us a CL place. That’s enough evidence for me to say Lawell should be chased. I might be persuaded The Conga needs to go too, but I will need evidence like that Lawell has racked up before I condemn him.

We are making assumptions that he is to blame for a lack of quality. I will repeat, we don’t know this is his fault. Nobody apart from the hierarchy and Rogers do. We don’t know so to call him out because the Sunderland fans didn’t like him is irrational. The guy might be Fucking useless or he might be a genius, until we get information about who was on the list Rogers was pissed off about, then and only then can an assessment of what he is doing can be fairly made.

People who call for his head without having the first Fucking clue what is going on are convicting a guy on a feeling. Insanity and unfair. Wait until we find out. As for Lawell? I know the Disco Kid fucked up the McGinn transfer. Never bought any defenders that cost us a CL place. That’s enough evidence for me to say Lawell should be chased. I might be persuaded The Conga needs to go too, but I will need evidence like that Lawell has racked up before I condemn him.

To be fair i hate when someone tries to balance the scales but doesn’t bring anything to the table.

You can’t say fans are wrong to assume but deliver nothing of import yourself.

People that are paid for their roles when the product is clearly non existent or poor are not fit for purpose.

If someone is getting in the way of that role then i reckon if it was me i would never ever allow my work to be seen as sub standard and would not allow anyone to mess my job up.

If you have something bring it to the party but don’t discount what fans feel and see their not getting but then provide nothing.

How do we know that that the guy didn’t identify great players and Lawell just refused to get them?

I’m not saying that was the case, but nobody can say it wasn’t.

Way OTT way of making at least one factual point about certainty, but then reasoned logic says-

Nobody can state much if anything in life that for absolute certain, not even you about Lawell! Do you know for certain that he was not ordered to do his actions by DD or by the board of shareholders and is only to blame by default.
Unless you were a baby that was born talking, then all is up for debate and the very need for humanity to be wondering and making points in life whether right or wrong as that is by definition how knowledge evolves, and is the very point of a discussion forum, if! that is, we know for absolute certain this forum exists at all.

In summary we would all be in caves with clubs for weapons and no rights of complaint for Raquel Welch in what was left of her sabre toothed Tiger bikini if we relied on just waiting because of not being certain. Come to think of that I see your point now.

But as regards Congerton we can make a more than reasoned point based on his previous employers and a summarised track record of recent years of a generalized air of mystery and disappointment that appears to continue to date at our club.
We can look at the most recent consistent evidence from a fair number of years that more than suggest he could well be a overpaid chancer and who has consistently joined and left clubs in mystery and dissatisfaction and clubs worse off player wise if not financially and league position wise than before his employment.

The problem for us is he looks like BR's man, I suspected he was but was not certain of the events up to employment, hence one of my questions.

BR the likely cause, will hopefully will conclude that Con-gerton is no longer the right man, and replace, and possibly consider that he BR is possibly not the best judge and has his hands full enough seeking 10-in-a-row and so employ someone under his control who has a actual track record of signing good players and for the sort of budget we have.

Last edited:
Way OTT way of making at least one factual point about certainty, but then reasoned logic says-

Nobody can state much if anything in life that for absolute certain, not even you about Lawell! Do you know for certain that he was not ordered to do his actions by DD or by the board of shareholders and is only to blame by default.
Unless you were a baby that was born talking, then all is up for debate and the very need for humanity to be wondering and making points in life whether right or wrong as that is by definition how knowledge evolves, and is the very point of a discussion forum, if! that is, we know for absolute certain this forum exists at all.

In summary we would all be in caves with clubs for weapons and no rights of complaint for Raquel Welch in what was left of her sabre toothed Tiger bikini if we relied on just waiting because of not being certain. Come to think of that I see your point now.

But as regards Congerton we can make a more than reasoned point based on his previous employers and a summarised track record of recent years of a generalized air of mystery and disappointment that appears to continue to date at our club.
We can look at the most recent consistent evidence from a fair number of years that more than suggest he could well be a overpaid chancer and who has consistently joined and left clubs in mystery and dissatisfaction and clubs worse off player wise if not financially and league position wise than before his employment.

The problem for us is he looks like BR's man, I suspected he was but was not certain of the events up to employment, hence one of my questions.

BR the likely cause, will hopefully will conclude that Con-gerton is no longer the right man, and replace, and possibly consider that he BR is possibly not the best judge and has his hands full enough seeking 10-in-a-row and so employ someone under his control who has a actual track record of signing good players and for the sort of budget we have.

If you look at the language you use, “a more than reasoned point” “a generalised air of mystery” “worse off player wise if not financially and league position wise than before his employment.” If we take those points then they are not definitive are they. They are suppositions arrived at due to his previous record. That doesn’t mean it was the same, it suggests it. The last point about being worse this time doesn’t lend to your argument. We have won a double treble and are financially sound. Do you remove him from this just to make a negative point about him. Since being here we have demonstrably improved on an off the pitch, so I can’t see how this helps your argument.

Unless you are saying we only look at the bad stuff and that is neither logical, rational or fair.

You stare he’s Rogers man. Well, why wouldn’t he be? Who would want someone in who wasn’t? What kind of butter gets someone in they don’t want. Again, logic suggests that’s exactly what he should be.

You are suggesting that it may not be Lawell, but the board who told him not to buy. Where are you getting that from? Every utterance out of CP states Lawell is our chief negotiator and if you are suggesting the board or DD blocked the move for McGinn, then sanctioned it when it was too late for a price lower than we paid Eboussa, then I cannot accept that. This was down to Lawell. He played hardball when it wasn’t required and we lost a great player who was one of us.

Remember too that Congleton doesn’t sign players, he suggests them. Rogers and Lawell do that.

If we look at Rogers reaction, are you seriously suggesting he was pissed off at Congerton? I certainly hope not.

We don’t know who the players were on the list that went straight in the bin. What we do know with certainty is we needed defenders, we knew Boyata wanted away. We knew Moussa wanted away. So I would suggest the list contained possible replacements. What happened is also a matter of fact. We went into the Qualifiers with a makeshift defence that was pathetic and failed.

Was anybody surprised we crashed out? Not me at least. It was a symptom of our inability to act to move forward.

Lawell is all over this. Why would DD tell him not to spend when dugs in the street knew our defence was not good enough and we were down Boyata and Lustig in defence and Rogic also?

I listened to Rogers after the cup final. We need to strengthen, we must. Now that suggest to me that he gave Lawell a list that was within our budget, what would be the point not to, and for whatever reason we kissed away £60m and crashed out.

If you read my post I concede that Congerton may well be a chance, as you put it. What I am saying is we don’t know that. You look at previous history to suggest improvement wouldn’t happen. You can’t back that up because you have no more information than I do.

My belief is that Rogers has made a cunt of most of HIS signings. Hendry and Comper were a disaster. But Rogers signed them, not Congerton.

Lawell is risk averse. He dithers, McGinn showed how badly. His ego got in the way with his war with Petrie. He went back in with what they wanted when it was too late and fucked us up, not just for what he could bring to the team, but his sell on value.

He had the cheek to get his PR team to send out the news if a “world class deal with Defabet” A deal that barely covers his wages and bonus for its duration. We were all waiting for players and he tries to make us feel better with a deal and Sysco lights? That may be I’m in your world, not mine.

He then brings in Arzani over the head of Rogers. He hasn’t kicked a baw yet and is another player who he has singlehanded brought without the managers say so. I think he is a frustrated manager.

Congertin may be shit. We don’t know. When, and if we find out who the close season targets were this would help us make a better decision than looking at his past.

I hate Lawells timorous approach to moving forward. We have gone backward. We have lost three class players and replaced them with nothing. Are you seriously suggesting that Rogers forgot what he says after the final and decided to go with what we had? When every supporter knew it would fuck us up, but he missed that?

If it is the board that stopped Lawell as you suggest, then may I make a suggestion.

They all get to fuck and are replaced with men or women who have the courage to take us forward. And that includes DD.

I won’t accept Cingertin as the scapegoat. He advises, he doesn’t sign. If Rogers was pissed if with him, he would be gone. His anger was at Lawell and the board and for missing out on CL and McGinn is enough for me to suggest his time us up.

If Cingertin is to follow him fine, but we need to know why and neither of us know if that is justified. Lawell failures are a matter of record, Disco lights apart he has failed us all.

Members online

Latest posts

Back