Leipzig v Celtic - All comments here

Well we can agree to disagree, up until we equalised I thought this game could go either way.
We were always going to have to weather the storm.
We dont have players experienced at this level.
They have that in abundance.
Aye some played beneath their potential no arguments there, but this isnt our first XI.
Harts blunder unforgivable but also made some top saves.
Think we have to be realistic about the side we fielded and what we expect of them
They knew our weak spot and used it to their advantage. There is too much space in behind our full backs. I thought we looked exposed at the back too often.
The price of going toe-to-toe against a team with pace and skill, I suppose.

True
We are being 'found out' when we try to mix it with the big boys
It takes time of course, and we just have to be patient and reel in our expectations
It's the difference between good players and great players
Financially, we can't compete with most of the CL teams, but the main prize every season is the league imho
The Euro nights under the lights are spectacular, but going to Dingwall and places in the middle of winter, in the cold, rain, wind, is where our bread butter is, win those games, win the title and attract great players to our club for the opportunity to shine on the big stage
It's a process and big Ange has done us proud
We're not making excuses, but the injuries to key players have hampered our progress in Europe
That, and some of the brainfarts from players, but we'll come good, no doubt
On to the league again this weekend
COYBIG
hope Calmac is okay and CCV is back for the weekend.

Disappointing outcome and a disappointing but not entirely surprising performance.

We have the makings of a decent team and I know that come next Tuesday I'll be filled with the killer drug of hope, that our team can get a win at Celtic Park (Parkers for the youngsters)

We were beaten by the better team on the night but I'm all for trying to go toe to toe with these guys with the aim of improving. HH KTF

Second half tonight was awful, just not in the game. What is the point in playing high risk attacking football if you cannot take your chances?

I think it is inconceivable to continue playing this system at this level. We aren't going to beat Leipzig at home and Shaktar is our only hope for a win now.

I know it's CL football, but in this group I thought we would do better.
Step back from the cliff edge LC it’s not that bad …

Does it really matter what style of football you play if you don’t take your chances ?

I’d be much more concerned if we weren’t creating tons of chances, but playing this style of football is putting us in the position of being able to score plenty in any game against pretty high calibre opposition

It’s not the style, it’s the lack of chances being taken

We also need to remember that it’s a massive step up for lots of these guys just to come to Celtic never mind the CL. A lot of people getting carried away far too quickly with expectations

9 month ago o’reilly was playing league 1 for MK dons
Hatate has really started playing professional full time in last couple of years
I could go on about rest

If you look at Taylor, took him a season or two to get going at Celtic but he’s one of our most consistent players now. He’s not tierney but he can play at that level

I suspect this season this season in Europe will be part of a steep learning curve that will pay dividends next year

True
We are being 'found out' when we try to mix it with the big boys
It takes time of course, and we just have to be patient and reel in our expectations
It's the difference between good players and great players
Financially, we can't compete with most of the CL teams, but the main prize every season is the league imho
The Euro nights under the lights are spectacular, but going to Dingwall and places in the middle of winter, in the cold, rain, wind, is where our bread butter is, win those games, win the title and attract great players to our club for the opportunity to shine on the big stage
It's a process and big Ange has done us proud
We're not making excuses, but the injuries to key players have hampered our progress in Europe
That, and some of the brainfarts from players, but we'll come good, no doubt
On to the league again this weekend
COYBIG
I think we’ve shown we CAN mix it with big teams and we’re still in early development
Naivety
Game 1 should have been 2/3 up by time real scored
Game 2 gave away the equaliser by providing a counter attacking team an error and an opportunity
Then never took our chances
Game 3
Terrible mistake for goal 1 as in game 2
get the equaliser and stop playing completely
Get the benefit of a VAR offside and from the free kick really pass straight to them almost
Naivety

I think I saw a stat we’ve created 40 goal scoring chances in 3 games and scored 2 of them 🤷‍♂️

Half way through our CL group games and 1 point from 9 is a poor return on performance IMO. Over the three games we've had 38 shots on goal, 15 on target against 33 shots on our goal, 14 on target. Our main issue has been not taking our chances. We're creating them, more than we're conceding but bad luck, bad decision making and bad finishing has cost us.
Of the 7 goals we've lost 5 have been on the counter attack with our midfield and full backs high up the pitch. Because of how we play we are open to the counter attack and when you are playing against a far higher standard of opponent than you do week in week out you get punished. Finding a solution to this is a huge learning exercise for Ange and the players.
What to do for the next three games? The 2 home games that many almost have as a gimme will be very difficult against top class counter attacking teams. We play our normal game we are as likely to drop points as win games.
What will Ange do?
Change of formation? 3-4-2-1 keeps the width but gives the extra defender? 4-2-3-1 a double pivot in front of the centre halves to give more protection?

The most noticeable difference between first and second halves last night was McGregor. He dictates the play, the tempo for us and without him we don't have anyone in the deep position who can progress the ball forward quickly and we end going sideways and backwards (Ange as good as said that losing the captain cost us without throwing anyone under the bus).
If McGregor is going to be out for a significant time we may need to change how we play/set up to allow the likes of Abildgaard or Mooy to fit in comfortably. They both have attributes but don't offer what McGregor does.

Bit of a mixed bag for me this morning; you see, I know and appreciate the progress we have made under Ange. That applies to the whole club. Not just the team.
I think most of you would agree that I can be a bit like The Rev I M Jolly at times; I, more often than not, try to be realistic in my expectations. Too long in the tooth to even start to think we're anywhere near the finished article as far as our rebuild is concerned.

As far as the CL goes, we were/are on a journey of discovery. The frustration bit comes from the fact that we all know we could've done better IF all of our first picks were available. In truth though, I still don't feel we would've been good enough. Better certainly, but not quite at the level needed.

So, this brings me to something I've been asking myself recently: do we actually have the depth of quality in the squad that we think we have ? Are we prone to a touch of hyperbole at times after a good performance in The SPL ?

I know form is fickle, ( bit like we as supporters can be too ), but, and without wishing to slaughter any of our players, I feel there are perhaps four or five still with much to prove.

I don't really have too many concerns regarding our domestic priorities, but in terms of the level needed for what is a massive step up, there is perhaps a need for three or four players of better quality. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
it looked like the bodo glimt game.
Coped slightly better not much though. They again had plenty of big terminators in the side.
it was like that daft punk song Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

biggest credit to Christopher Nkunku, he ran us ragged.

When it comes to these superhero types we really need to keep the slackness to a minimum.
keep our movement agile and correct. passing crisp.
Cover and bomb our guts up to match pace or runs and anticipate a slotted goal. We didnt.

I watched checked runs - if they had continued we could of defended.

We did catch them on the break but its becoming painfully obvious we don't have cool as ice finishers at the club. The tag "lethal" has only been gifted to our 2nd choice LBs driving...

As far as I'm concerned these missed chances are way passed the mistake range of pish.
The squad will adapt and grow but the instinct shooting drills aren't working.
Ange needs to sort this pronto.

We did ourselves no favours tonight but its a stand up and be counted moment.
The guys that start banging in the goals stay in the team from now on such is the fluffery on display.

We lost the battle in mf tonight and struggled with the pace of the front line.
for me that's on Ange a bit. We simply shouldn't of been that high. we corrected later but the shellshock had set in. Calmac off was a disaster.

All things considered and for me to feel this way against the jerry big boys on form is in reflection fair and where we need to push to be at.

Could of been 5 tonight. Not enough of the lads kept the heed.

We march on and a big weekend result is expected
Just bumped into an older gentleman he knew I was a Tim so is he and he said he wid take colak and basically tell him u stay up there and we will find u wonder how much sevco wid want for they're top scorer 🤣 I think another striker will come in in January tnf just not that cunt in Govan

Bit of a mixed bag for me this morning; you see, I know and appreciate the progress we have made under Ange. That applies to the whole club. Not just the team.
I think most of you would agree that I can be a bit like The Rev I M Jolly at times; I, more often than not, try to be realistic in my expectations. Too long in the tooth to even start to think we're anywhere near the finished article as far as our rebuild is concerned.

As far as the CL goes, we were/are on a journey of discovery. The frustration bit comes from the fact that we all know we could've done better IF all of our first picks were available. In truth though, I still don't feel we would've been good enough. Better certainly, but not quite at the level needed.

So, this brings me to something I've been asking myself recently: do we actually have the depth of quality in the squad that we think we have ? Are we prone to a touch of hyperbole at times after a good performance in The SPL ?

I know form is fickle, ( bit like we as supporters can be too ), but, and without wishing to slaughter any of our players, I feel there are perhaps four or five still with much to prove.

I don't really have too many concerns regarding our domestic priorities, but in terms of the level needed for what is a massive step up, there is perhaps a need for three or four players of of better quality. Just my thoughts.
We don't have an obvious replacement for McGregor, no one who can dictate play for us from a deep position. We don't have an obvious replacement for Hatate either. First choice midfield 3 are good enough but after an hour in these high intensity, high quality games we cannot replace Hatate or O'Riley with quality that is even close to them let alone as good as.
The difference between our first choice centre half pairing and our 3rd and 4th picks is also huge. We can get away with CCV or Starfelt being out, not both. Especially CCV.

I don't really have too many concerns regarding our domestic priorities, but in terms of the level needed for what is a massive step up, there is perhaps a need for three or four players of of better quality. Just my thoughts.
No we don't mate not yet bit harsh on abilgaard since it was his first real run out but overall our squads not there yet for this level we had more shots in the first half than sevco have had in 3 full games I'm still well on board the big ange express HH

We don't have an obvious replacement for McGregor, no one who can dictate play for us from a deep position. We don't have an obvious replacement for Hatate either. First choice midfield 3 are good enough but after an hour in these high intensity, high quality games we cannot replace Hatate or O'Riley with quality that is even close to them let alone as good as.
The difference between our first choice centre half pairing and our 3rd and 4th picks is also huge. We can get away with CCV or Starfelt being out, not both. Especially CCV.
Thinking about what I said above, Hatate could probably play in the deep lying role. Comfortable in possession when under pressure, always looks to pass forward, not afraid to try a longer pass and set up an attack. Would miss him further forward though as we don't have another box to box type midfielder like him (other than McGregor)

Half way through our CL group games and 1 point from 9 is a poor return on performance IMO. Over the three games we've had 38 shots on goal, 15 on target against 33 shots on our goal, 14 on target. Our main issue has been not taking our chances. We're creating them, more than we're conceding but bad luck, bad decision making and bad finishing has cost us.
Of the 7 goals we've lost 5 have been on the counter attack with our midfield and full backs high up the pitch. Because of how we play we are open to the counter attack and when you are playing against a far higher standard of opponent than you do week in week out you get punished. Finding a solution to this is a huge learning exercise for Ange and the players.
What to do for the next three games? The 2 home games that many almost have as a gimme will be very difficult against top class counter attacking teams. We play our normal game we are as likely to drop points as win games.
What will Ange do?
Change of formation? 3-4-2-1 keeps the width but gives the extra defender? 4-2-3-1 a double pivot in front of the centre halves to give more protection?

The most noticeable difference between first and second halves last night was McGregor. He dictates the play, the tempo for us and without him we don't have anyone in the deep position who can progress the ball forward quickly and we end going sideways and backwards (Ange as good as said that losing the captain cost us without throwing anyone under the bus).
If McGregor is going to be out for a significant time we may need to change how we play/set up to allow the likes of Abildgaard or Mooy to fit in comfortably. They both have attributes but don't offer what McGregor does.
As always Garry, you make some thought provoking comments. What will Ange do ? On all past evidence the answer will be to stick with the system. Perhaps this time our injury list will lead to a change. Time will tell.

As things stand, I hope all the focus will be on our game in Perth at the weekend. That, for me, is THE priority.

Well that was a strange game of football. Yet again we were wasteful in front of goal. As I feared, going head to head with such a good counter attacking side resulted in us getting caught out at the back too many times.

I understand that Angeball is based around fast restarts but sometimes I think we would be better off taking the sting out of the game by waiting for a few seconds. Hart's error took a lot out of us and was essily avoided. We just need to be a wee bit smarter with our game management sometimes.

What about that pitch? Two players fuck their cruciate ligaments when just trying to slow down??? And another player (Taylor I think) almost got the same injury later on too. I'm not sure if it has recently been relaid, but clearly there is too much give in it when players were planting their feet to change direction or stop.

I've been down in London this week and my colleague set us up with his mate to watch it in a Celtic pub. If anyone finds themselves in London when there is a game on then I'd highly recommend getting your arse over to the Cock Tavern in Euston (calm yourself Shammy - it is named after the bird...). The owners and staff are very welcoming and friendly, and spent ages blethering & having a laugh.

We just need to concentrate for the full 90+ minutes (easier said than done) and be more clinical when we get a goal scoring opportunity.

What will Ange do?

great points Gary
I said 2 of them almost verbatim to my pal watching it last night
We had a quick break after half time and scored but our performance just fell off a cliff when calmac went off. I was annoyed at him for 5-10 after goal but you can see we lacked someone who was able to play through the middle of the park at all. They clocked this and smothered the wide men which left us blunt for 40 mins.

I also think we are possibly going to face harder games at home to RB/Shaktar than we did away. They are both set up to play on the break and are shit hot at it. A packed Paradise on a Euro night with Angeball will overcome 80% of teams, but these teams are in that other 20%.
We've seen SD are well worthy of their place in CL and some of the football RB played last night was up there with anything else i've watched this year.

I think we watched 2 evenly matched teams to be honest.
We didnt really perform like we can, clearly they did
They're a riot at the back often ... like us
They load attacks with numbers and therefore create chances....like us
Main difference in styles is we press much further up the pitch, committing numbers
But they have double digit value strikers, our front 2 were bought for 6 million

If we had Larsson up front in this team we'd be 3/4 goals better off minimum

Back