Lenny's rant

BILLCOWIE1958

Listening to what Lenny said about younger fans being used to success and not remembering the 1990s era although it may have come out wrong I can totally understand his thinking and sentiments

I was born in 1958 as you'll probably have deduced from my Nomme de Plume

As an 8 year old I watched Celtic win the European Cup I'd already been to Hampden with my dad and Granda to see us beat Aberdeen 2-0 in the Scottish Cup final a few short weeks earlier
Throw into the mix Scotland beating the World Champions at Wembley again all within weeks this was THE time to be getting into Scottish Football on the whole and Celtic in particular

With Rangers reaching the European Cup Winners Cup Final and Kilmarnock reaching the semi finals of the Fair Cities Cup all in the spring of 1967 this was dreams come true for an 8 year old kid from Glasgow's East End
This was also the beginning of the Summer of Love but as an 8 year old that didn't hold much attraction for me although I did dig the music

But it was the CELTIC angle that really got my juices flowing and I followed my team fervently witnessing them beat almost all before them for the next 7 years Leagues Cups European Cup Finals Semi Finals Quarter Finals

It wasn't until Rangers broke our stranglehold on the League that I came to realise that we could be beaten

By that time I was 16 and finding it hard to accept Celtic no longer being Champions although over the next 10 /11 years or so we did joust with both Rangers and Aberdeen with Dundee Utd making a fist of things too but it wasn't until the very late 80s onwards that my real suffering began

So what I think I'm trying to say is that I've experienced the very best and probably some of the worst and now hopefully the 10 IAR and I know which I prefer

David Murray said a very similar thing to Lenny when Celtic stopped the HUNS doing their 10 IAR then ultimately took over from 2000 onwards how teenagers of around 17 years old will not have known anything but a successful Rangers

Well as long as we don't go the same way let's not worry too much

HH?

Listening to what Lenny said about younger fans being used to success and not remembering the 1990s era although it may have come out wrong I can totally understand his thinking and sentiments

I was born in 1958 as you'll probably have deduced from my Nomme de Plume

As an 8 year old I watched Celtic win the European Cup I'd already been to Hampden with my dad and Granda to see us beat Aberdeen 2-0 in the Scottish Cup final a few short weeks earlier
Throw into the mix Scotland beating the World Champions at Wembley again all within weeks this was THE time to be getting into Scottish Football on the whole and Celtic in particular

With Rangers reaching the European Cup Winners Cup Final and Kilmarnock reaching the semi finals of the Fair Cities Cup all in the spring of 1967 this was dreams come true for an 8 year old kid from Glasgow's East End
This was also the beginning of the Summer of Love but as an 8 year old that didn't hold much attraction for me although I did dig the music

But it was the CELTIC angle that really got my juices flowing and I followed my team fervently witnessing them beat almost all before them for the next 7 years Leagues Cups European Cup Finals Semi Finals Quarter Finals

It wasn't until Rangers broke our stranglehold on the League that I came to realise that we could be beaten

By that time I was 16 and finding it hard to accept Celtic no longer being Champions although over the next 10 /11 years or so we did joust with both Rangers and Aberdeen with Dundee Utd making a fist of things too but it wasn't until the very late 80s onwards that my real suffering began

So what I think I'm trying to say is that I've experienced the very best and probably some of the worst and now hopefully the 10 IAR and I know which I prefer

David Murray said a very similar thing to Lenny when Celtic stopped the HUNS doing their 10 IAR then ultimately took over from 2000 onwards how teenagers of around 17 years old will not have known anything but a successful Rangers

Well as long as we don't go the same way let's not worry too much

HH?
There probably is an element in there of the spoilt brat and I too remember the late 80's into 90's so as such I am possibly more grateful for the domestic stranglehold than some. In defence of the so called 'new breed' it's possibly the demands we need placed on the board etc to strive forward. They are the season ticket holders for the next 20 years. I wouldn't wish the 90's on anyone, if their demanding attitude helps avoid that let's have a listen

There probably is an element in there of the spoilt brat and I too remember the late 80's into 90's so as such I am possibly more grateful for the domestic stranglehold than some. In defence of the so called 'new breed' it's possibly the demands we need placed on the board etc to strive forward. They are the season ticket holders for the next 20 years. I wouldn't wish the 90's on anyone, if their demanding attitude helps avoid that let's have a listen
Same could be said about early 80s and the Moonbeam era at the crypt.

Murray listened to the urging onwards of the Moonbeam children of Orange, And rather than success killed the club stone dead, with zombie repercussions for 8 years so far.

Listening to the ever growing market enthusiasts always, I repeat always, comes with a market exploding bubble, that can be caused by a million black swan events.

Net present value investments require proper fundamental analysis, which is often missing from the moonbeam economics that counts revenue before its earned.

HH?

I heard that interview and I still don't understand what Lenny was getting at .
If he was talking about a younger generation who had only known success , then why would THEY be complaining when we are on the cusp of a Treble-Treble ? They weren't !

As a very much older fan than many ( including Bill 1958 - he's just a boy ! ) I do get frustrated ( often ) when I see some of the football we produce now , having seen The Lions and The Quality Street Gang etc...
My take on his ( Lenny's ) comments was that he was feeling the pressure of the lack of enough good performances which ( he felt ) were influencing , adversely , his prospects of getting the job permanently and had nothing really to do with the aspirations of the support , young or old , or very old !

HH

I think his overarching message was an acceptance performances may have dropped but the job was being done nonetheless. He was saying their standards may have slipped below they're own high standards but hadn't dropped to the time before Lenny arrived as a player, and as such maybe we should all just focus on getting over the line and celebrate it and the players achievements and bin the negativity until close season. Hence his particular ire at one journalist who said Celtic had stuttered over the line. That's how I read it anyway

I think his overarching message was an acceptance performances may have dropped but the job was being done nonetheless. He was saying their standards may have slipped below they're own high standards but hadn't dropped to the time before Lenny arrived as a player, and as such maybe we should all just focus on getting over the line and celebrate it and the players achievements and bin the negativity until close season. Hence his particular ire at one journalist who said Celtic had stuttered over the line. That's how I read it anyway

I read it that way, too, Niall. That one journalist aside, as a new supporter unencumbered with the past (though trying my hardest to be encumbered, but I digress . . .), I get what Neil is saying. Whether it's the hypercritical "fans" who occupy the forum here or those who are not happy elsewhere (the one CSC gathering I attended was full of naysayers . . . AND WE WON!), it sort of defies logic to think that the job wasn't getting done. Maybe not to their liking and maybe not with the flair (or the margins) that others might think worthy of Celtic, but nonetheless the job got done. Period. Full stop.

After a trying season (to put it mildly), I'm willing to give the bhoys the benefit of the doubt. I'm willing to overlook a bad game or two under those circumstances -- you can't walk on water every day -- and I'm old enough to know you lose a step (or two) as you get older, especially when you don't heal as quickly as you did five or six years prior. And I'm certainly willing to give the interim manager a wide berth when it comes to being dealt a hand -- having to put togther a patchwork lineup with a banged up team that was never his to begin with -- that he was given.

Last edited:
(y) Icafiero

My boy must have got about 15/20 Easter eggs recently. Slowly but surely he's worked his way through them (actually a bit quicker than Mum would have like, but I too digress). He started off with the big ones from Grandparents and Mum and dad adorned with footballs and all sorts through the mediums with wee bags of sweets attached, to the smaller ones with just an egg. Finally he's been on the wee creme eggs and toffee filled ones. As he was finishing I looked at him wondering if he'd suddenly be sad he was out of eggs (always an eye on an impending tantrum). His chocolate face didn't look sad, he looked like he was still enjoying the moment. I guess he was just glad he still had chocolate. Maybe he's now learning it isn't always like this! With each passing Easter I guess you learn that

Am so sick of all the shit names getting put up for the managers job(even tho av got a tenner on Rafa)..give the job to Lenny and let’s get down work for next season,,,announce it before cup final let us enjoy it,,,,,,,if moyes gets it we will only be bringing Lenny back at Christmas when we sack the cunt...

Am so sick of all the shit names getting put up for the managers job(even tho av got a tenner on Rafa)..give the job to Lenny and let’s get down work for next season,,,announce it before cup final let us enjoy it,,,,,,,if moyes gets it we will only be bringing Lenny back at Christmas when we sack the cunt...
I cannot describe fully the feeling of complete and utter dread I have at the thought of moyes. I don't even want to try and describe it as it keeps his image in my mind

nfl was right but, he was also tryin 2 link his and fraudgers winning leagues in a very low standard league. nfl won his wiv not even zombie huns in it. so nfl tryin 2 link comparin those league wins wiv wot legends had 2 combat. no. (n)
tommy burns near beat d frauds who were printin rotten banksmoney n not payin any tax. no comparison. wim finished off wot tommy started.
nfls manager titles like ronnies were won against no real competition, nfl had a great euro run yes but so did strachan wiv more pressures, but 2 compare either wiv the pressure and competition dat tommy n wim had. nfl chancin both arms.

Och a don’t know about that he bet plenty of the full fat huns as a player.

Members online

Back