Lenny's Scott Brown dilemma

Winter

The title explains the content. Lenny has a dilemma and a decision to make sooner rather than later about the legend that is oor Broony. Having watched Broony a few times now I am beginning to fear that this , THEE most important season of them all is perhaps a season too far for our beloved captain. I find it very uncomfortable viewing watching Broony being left for dead whether its v the hungarians or Motherwell you can pretty much guarantee that he will get booked for bringing someone down because theyve waltzed passed him like he wasnt there. At 35yrs old (almost unheard of for a midfielder) its plain to me that whilst he still has the heart and the nous to get himself through games, the legs and speed during a match are fading quickly, it would be a terrible shame to witness broony be embarrassed regularly by players who couldn't hope to lace his boots a season or 2 ago. Yes weve heard this before and hes always come back to prove us all wrong. However I'm now of the belief that broony cannot be playing 90+ minutes for us week in week out. 45 minutes perhaps. Celtic have such a strong midfield and weve shown how devastating we can be without broony in there. It's a dilemma because the influence he has on the team and the importance of this season, will lenny take him out? Would you take him out or use him sparingly? We have players in bitton and soro along with calmac Christie rogic in there. I would like to see broony get promoted ( not dropped or demoted) to the backroom team. Hes perfect for that role right now and is nobody's yes man. I fear (with no winter break this season) it's not going to get a whole lot better for him) pray I'm wrong about that. Still theres a decision to be made and it must be made sooner rather than later HH

Probably still one the fittest guys in the team...might have lost a bit of sharpness but what he brings in presence and stature to the rest of the team cannot be underestimated....I feel the reason for his dip in form is nothing to do with age but all to to with the Ntcham experiment....when Lenny tries to play the three of them together it unbalances the midfield and affects the way Broony and Callum play

Don't write him off yet....many great midfielders and legends played well into their late 30's

It's plain for all to see that Broony is past his best but what a player to have on the bench when the team need that shoring up towards the 70 minute mark. I'd hate to see him try to continue playing 90 minutes a game and fans resenting him for making mistakes. The man is a legend and should be utilised by the coaching staff to great effect when he's hung up his boots at 10iar.

Probably still one the fittest guys in the team...might have lost a bit of sharpness but what he brings in presence and stature to the rest of the team cannot be underestimated....I feel the reason for his dip in form is nothing to do with age but all to to with the Ntcham experiment....when Lenny tries to play the three of them together it unbalances the midfield and affects the way Broony and Callum play

Don't write him off yet....many great midfielders and legends played well into their late 30's
Fair point Docco but I was never writing him off anyway, as he's proved time and again the doubters wrong. Especially in Ronnie's last season he was all but finished and washed up etc. Enter Rodgers and he changed his routine allowing him to focus solely on match days. Can lenny do the same? How would he do it. I just feel aghast at the prospect of spfl nobody's embarrassing him. On the subject of ntcham I believe that hes earned his place but must continue to that standard as weve seen him before being outstanding only for a week later to look out of sorts and wouldnt get a game for the u12s. Broony being fit is one thing but you can be super fit and still lose a yard in speed in fitba

1000%

The 4-5 month lockdown was probably the worst thing to happen to Brown. Yes he's still fit but is a mile off being match sharp and so far hasn't looked like he's going to return even to his diminished influence of last season. He shouldn't start games, in all games he looks off the pace especially in the first half when the game is played at a higher pace and intensity. As it slows in the second half he improves a bit. He should remain club captain, be involved in every matchday squad and be used more sparingly. I thought the season before last when he was out injured, coinciding with our best form of the season, he did an excellent job coming on for the last 20-25 minutes away to Rosenborg in EL and in the LC final against Aberdeen where his experience helped us to see out the victories. He could still serve us well in that diminished role coupled with a few starts in 'easier' home games at CP when we want to rest CalMac or others.

Alot have lost there sharpness our campaign is only just begining thanks to the TUI jet set rep fkn off to spain ,, he's not any slower than the muthafka that's for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
When Broonie was out injured a couple of seasons back, CalMac went and done a wee Pirlo in that position and was spraying meaningful passes all over the pitch. I don't think that's an option at the moment because you need that wee bit of steel, aggression and the ability to win the ball back.

Scott Brown has enough in the tank to see him through the majority of games domestically, but we need to start looking at his potential successor now instead of when it's forced upon us.

Soro is still an unknown quantity. Turnbull looks as if he's better suited further up the pitch and Ajer is in the running too if he is staying put. Big Nir is a fine player, but not necessarily an obvious replacement in that role; however - he can fill that hole if we're in a fix.

Lenny has a bit of work to do and a couple of decisions to make in easing the transition. He's going to have to start trusting himself and the squad a bit more to see if some of those recent signings were inspired decisions or just another busted flush.

As far as dilemmas go, it isn't a bad one to have as long as Lenny has a clear idea of what to do in an emergency; however - he has to start giving his alternatives some minutes in that position to see if they're up to speed and capable of doing Broonie's job.

Alot have lost there sharpness of campaign is only just begining thanks to the TUI jet set rep fkn off to spain ,, he's not any slower than the muthafka that's for sure
He cany get near the youngsters these days noticed that in a few games this season, age starting to catch up with him but still a big influence on the park ,cup final comes to mind when we should have got pumped he rallied the troops ,would still have him in there against the manky mob .Btw wheres Soro?Hope hes no another Bayo.

He cany get near the youngsters these days noticed that in a few games this season, age starting to catch up with him but still a big influence on the park ,cup final comes to mind when we should have got pumped he rallied the troops ,would still have him in there against the manky mob . Btw wheres Soro?Hope hes no another Bayo.
Starting to fear that may be the case myself. Another Lawwell signing, maybe?

He cany get near the youngsters these days noticed that in a few games this season, age starting to catch up with him but still a big influence on the park ,cup final comes to mind when we should have got pumped he rallied the troops ,would still have him in there against the manky mob .Btw wheres Soro?Hope hes no another Bayo.
From what i've seen of soro he's brave enough likes a challenge but goes in clumbsy and in this neck of the woods he would get hammered every game by the mib

Think he's one who will be bedded in like victor was hopefully

Future Celtic manager...no question
I'm not so sure, Docco. I get the feeling that boys like Broonie make the most of their playing career, because when they're done with it - then they're done with the whole thing.

As a young man, he faced huge personal loss and that sometimes leads to folk realising that there are more important things than football. The pressures in management and the constant scrutiny might not be his bag and he may just want to enjoy his family away from the intensity of the media and fans.

I hope I'm wrong, but Broonie looks like the type of lad that likes to influence things directly as well. A big part of management is trusting the team to do their job and I don't know if Broonie's made that way. He looks like he enjoys being at the sharp end of things and being on the sidelines might not suit his personality.

The title explains the content. Lenny has a dilemma and a decision to make sooner rather than later about the legend that is oor Broony. Having watched Broony a few times now I am beginning to fear that this , THEE most important season of them all is perhaps a season too far for our beloved captain. I find it very uncomfortable viewing watching Broony being left for dead whether its v the hungarians or Motherwell you can pretty much guarantee that he will get booked for bringing someone down because theyve waltzed passed him like he wasnt there. At 35yrs old (almost unheard of for a midfielder) its plain to me that whilst he still has the heart and the nous to get himself through games, the legs and speed during a match are fading quickly, it would be a terrible shame to witness broony be embarrassed regularly by players who couldn't hope to lace his boots a season or 2 ago. Yes weve heard this before and hes always come back to prove us all wrong. However I'm now of the belief that broony cannot be playing 90+ minutes for us week in week out. 45 minutes perhaps. Celtic have such a strong midfield and weve shown how devastating we can be without broony in there. It's a dilemma because the influence he has on the team and the importance of this season, will lenny take him out? Would you take him out or use him sparingly? We have players in bitton and soro along with calmac Christie rogic in there. I would like to see broony get promoted ( not dropped or demoted) to the backroom team. Hes perfect for that role right now and is nobody's yes man. I fear (with no winter break this season) it's not going to get a whole lot better for him) pray I'm wrong about that. Still theres a decision to be made and it must be made sooner rather than later HH
I would love to Winter to be brave enough to leave the decision up to Broony when he thinks the time is right to hang up his boots,any season other than this one I am sure it would have been his choice when to hang up the boots but unfortunately this is no ordinary season and he is no ordinary player.
We definitely owe this man the utmost respect but I am sure the same guy will realise everything which is done this season has to be done for the club and its supporters.
But Listen Bhoys and Ghirls we are talking about a legend here as if he was finished this is the same guy who gave up his international status for the club and supporters he loves so that he could get to this stage in his career 10 IAR, I genuinely believe Broony took into consideration that 10 IAR was a possibility and if it was possible he was not going to miss out,so whether it is 10-15-20 games he plays this season he will still be around to receive his 10 IAR championship medal and I think we will all know when he lifts that trophy for the 10th time in a row,this was his ultimate goal..

HH.

I'm not so sure, Docco. I get the feeling that boys like Broonie make the most of their playing career, because when they're done with it - then they're done with the whole thing.

As a young man, he faced huge personal loss and that sometimes leads to folk realising that there are more important things than football. The pressures in management and the constant scrutiny might not be his bag and he may just want to enjoy his family away from the intensity of the media and fans.

I hope I'm wrong, but Broonie looks like the type of lad that likes to influence things directly as well. A big part of management is trusting the team to do their job and I don't know if Broonie's made that way. He looks like he enjoys being at the sharp end of things and being on the sidelines might not suit his personality.

I think Broony is deeply passionate about the game.
There were times I think when Ronny was the manager when he used to go and watch all the youth and reserve games..think it was Brendan who told him to calm it a bit and enjoy his family time more...He definitely has the experience , leadership and motivational skills to be a manager.

Back