Leverkusen v Celtic - All Comments Here

I thought he was poor tonight, Lubo. If you're front three are pressing high, then you depend on that secondary press from the midfield. Big Nir's walking aboot like he's on his holidays? His distribution was pretty poor too. Everyone has to take one step back because it's slowed down so much and some of that passing could end you up in traction.

He's a handy utility man on the domestic front, but a few lads got their arses felt tonight when they had to step up a level.
I think that when Bitton went off, that's about the time we would have been better bringing him on to replace someone who passes more quickly and calms the game down. I don't mind Bitton but I would hate to have to depend on him if I was in a hurry... and we are when it comes to a counter-attack.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Aside from the second goal, I thought Kyogo and Jota offered nothing..... Ralston and juranovic extremely sloppy with their passing and on the whole, the passing was poor...top marks however go to Harte and Carter and pass marks to Biton who played well last 20 of the first and first 20 of the second.....We actually never played that well tonight as a team but gave a champions League callibre team a hell of a game......

If I’ve got anything negative at all it would be that Ange doesn’t seem to understand shutting the game down when ur in a decent position is part of the game, I’m all for exciting football but we had ourselves in a great position with 15 to play, bit more defensive with the subs and we cuda deffo seen a draw out if not held on.
Don't think he has the players he trusts to close it out, mate. Soro appears to have had a almighty fall from grace and our other midfielders end up marking each other.

I wouldn't bet my shed on MJ and Liel doubling back either. I roasted Ralston for being far too central, but that might not have been so much of an issue if Abada put a wee shift in to get back.

before kick off i thought a 3 v 2 defeat would have been decent result. But to be winning in an important game to lose 3 v 2 im dissapointed more than i expected.

i thought we were quite jammy at times in the game. the stadium wasnt exactly very full, so their fans didnt really think it was a game to burst a gut to watch.

on counter we are dangerous with jota and kyogo movement and tricks

But we just cant defend very well imo.

They didnt really try very hard till it was 2 1 against them

Hart ad quite few very good saves

couple of jammy ones too

Bitton gets a lot of abuse, for me he is our only midfielder who regularly takes up positions that support defensive outs

i really cant see what turnbull offers other than 1 in 4 decent passes when his pass is good its ery good but most of the time he isnt marking anyone isnt taking up good supporting positions and tries extra adventurous passes that ultimately fail more often than complete

decent player but for me bitton is miles better team player and even he aint all that hot at times

didnt understand timing of subs considering that game was a good chance to progress

Ange got subs badly wreong

And the poor defensive set up worries me against good players

we do look better than last year but tactically really naive especially when we have a lead.

it could easily have been a lot worse result if they had been fully fired up with big crowd but i think they thought it would be cakewalk after 4 nil away win

really dissapointing to lose a lead with goals we ultimately conceded

they are a top teamm

so its not a terrible result

just not a great result from another winning position :(

If I’ve got anything negative at all it would be that Ange doesn’t seem to understand shutting the game down when ur in a decent position is part of the game, I’m all for exciting football but we had ourselves in a great position with 15 to play, bit more defensive with the subs and we cuda deffo seen a draw out if not held on.
Have to agree ...I appreciate we are limited in depth but when you take off quality without the back up to replace and or change your system ...well you apply pressure to the rest of the team ...unfortunately Ange is currently getting this aspect of the game wrong ...when he did it against St Johnstone..many said ffs what you doing!! ....against Leverkusen ...well there's your answer. But don't want to be too critical just annoyed... apologies.

For what it's worth, Aside from the second goal, I thought Kyogo and Jota offered nothing..... Ralston and juranovic extremely sloppy with their passing and on the whole, the passing was poor...top marks however go to Harte and Carter and pass marks to Biton who played well last 20 of the first and first 20 of the second.....We actually never played that well tonight as a team but gave a champions League callibre team a hell of a game......
To be fair to Kyogo, he got little in the way of service, for that I would look at the likes of Turnbull and Forrest who weren't making anything happen.
Ralston just seems to lose it with defensive positioning and Juranovic I thought was downright bad. Bitton excellent in defensive tyding up.
What's on our bench doesn't look up to much, substitutions from both sides changed the game towards the end.

Thought at the start we could come away with something but overall for a team that was pieced together with very little pre season and interuptions of shitie internationals i think we've not had to bad a crack at europe

Leagues more important we'll learn from this and hopefully in january clear out the deadwood and have a better team going into the qualifiers

Thought at the start we could come away with something but overall for a team that was pieced together with very little pre season and interuptions of shitie internationals i think we've not had to bad a crack at europe

Leagues more important we'll learn from this and hopefully in january clear out the deadwood and have a better team going into the qualifiers
Probably the best assessment of the night

Overall a decent performance tonight against a good German side. Once again our defensive frailties haunted us. If we can strengthen in January, midfield and left back in particular, we might be onto something.

The penalty came from a Jota cross and the second goal Jota scored! Stop sniffin meths ffs Docco! 🙄

Can't fathom out Ange's logic. Jota and Forrest still had plenty of running in them
Must say SP this is what ? the 3rd or 4th time Ange has done this? We had just against all the odds and with no small amount of ridiculously superb saves from joe hart come from 1 -0 behind in Germany of all places to lead 2-1 and we are dominating the game to the extent in my gutted opinion that we looked the side most likely to score again playing some fantastic counter attacking football with jota scoring rounding off a superb team goal and his reward ? Hooked! It was way too early for jota, forrest (72 min) and then Kyogo to go off definately so for jota. Perhaps Forrest may not be 100% just yet but this wasnt st johnstone. I shook my head in disbelief almost as much as jota did . He was absolutely astonished that he was coming off and imo rightly so. Now I'm no football manager but we had them reeling , looked likely that we would score again so let's take off the 3 best attacking threats we have . Wait no please dont but alas my mind control isnt what it once was. Just to be clear I am obviously a huge fan of Ange and the way he has us playing but Ajetti is not at the same level as Kyogo, forrest and certainly not jota at this time. I am loathe to criticise the manager but those substitutions imo let them off the hook the game was there for the winning , drawing certainly not losing. We threw that away I am unable to comprehend the decision behind it as it was to early , far too early 6 added injury time minutes also to play. I really hope jota will get over this ( hope I will) from the possibility of being in with a chance of actually winning the group not just the game to were out of the Europa league all in the space of a 24 minute period inc 6minutes injury time. I cannot get my head around it honestly really cannot. WHY? We will never have a better opportunity to win in Germany than we had tonight fantastic performance against a top side missing a bundle of top players. I like everyone else who watched saw the look on jotas face, similar to mine, disbelief. We do not have the strength in depth to do this against most SPL clubs as the semi final showed v st johnstone. I will say again that I am not going off on one about Ange hes been great for us but come on? I am still in shock I really am we could've gone onto 3 perhaps 4 -1 in Germany tonight but at 2-1 up and 18 mins plus 6 mins injury time still to play I am beside myself with a complete headfrack what an opportunity tossed away. I think I'm just going to stop there before I post something I really regret . I hope that jota is not the sulking type his face on the bench spoke volumes. I dont think I couldve ever have imagined how dissapointed I feel at losing by the odd goal in 5 at the Bay Arena . This aside I thought that the bhoys were fantasic and they put in one of our best away European performances for some time lazio perhaps? Gutted 🙈 HH ☘

The substitution s were rank the night...takin your best players aff when your 2 wan up away Fae hame in Europe..
Mickey Johnstone absolute mince...runs wae the baw then falls over possession lost.. McCarthy shit...abada no the same player...made the exact same mistake s against betis anaw...Whits rang wae tightenin up Tae see a game oot...

before kick off i thought a 3 v 2 defeat would have been decent result. But to be winning in an important game to lose 3 v 2 im dissapointed more than i expected.

i thought we were quite jammy at times in the game. the stadium wasnt exactly very full, so their fans didnt really think it was a game to burst a gut to watch.

on counter we are dangerous with jota and kyogo movement and tricks

But we just cant defend very well imo.

They didnt really try very hard till it was 2 1 against them

Hart ad quite few very good saves

couple of jammy ones too

Bitton gets a lot of abuse, for me he is our only midfielder who regularly takes up positions that support defensive outs

i really cant see what turnbull offers other than 1 in 4 decent passes when his pass is good its ery good but most of the time he isnt marking anyone isnt taking up good supporting positions and tries extra adventurous passes that ultimately fail more often than complete

decent player but for me bitton is miles better team player and even he aint all that hot at times

didnt understand timing of subs considering that game was a good chance to progress

Ange got subs badly wreong

And the poor defensive set up worries me against good players

we do look better than last year but tactically really naive especially when we have a lead.

it could easily have been a lot worse result if they had been fully fired up with big crowd but i think they thought it would be cakewalk after 4 nil away win

really dissapointing to lose a lead with goals we ultimately conceded

they are a top teamm

so its not a terrible result

just not a great result from another winning position :(
Never understand Angies thinking with these subs,the full backs on Jota must go "Thank fuck they've took him off!".The subs he's been bringing on don't exactly button the game up for us

The substitution s were rank the night...takin your best players aff when your 2 wan up away Fae hame in Europe..
Mickey Johnstone absolute mince...runs wae the baw then falls over possession lost.. McCarthy shit...abada no the same player...made the exact same mistake s against betis anaw...Whits rang wae tightenin up Tae see a game oot...
As much as we all agree with Ange in his philosophy to play the Celtic way we have to show a bit more nous than that. Someone not sure if its Docco sorry if not you Docco said jota and Kyogo did very little ? I mustve been watching another game then. 18 minutes to go weve overturned a 1 goal deficit so take them off? When Bayer were rocking and oon the ropes was unbelievable so much so that I still cant believe it. Will we ever run out of ways to shoot ourselves in the foot? Nah theres 2 different feet to shoot at. Great performance against a side who have run away with the group in a country we struggle traditionally. Yip that's enough for me on it tonight I'm away to crack my head off the wall

Members online

Latest posts

Back