Lies, damn lies and speculation

Seems fake news isn't new.

I was reading a book on the US Presidents and came across a little titbit that caught my attention on Yellow journalism, which I think was really just taking some facts then adding in a whole load of unsubstantial shite and calling the gash bit, freedom of speech.

Funny thing is one of the biggest fake news journalists was so popular he made millions. And his name is now associated with great literature awards.

Joseph Pulitzer

Although these days his name is somewhat synonymous with journalism of the highest standards, through association with the Pulitzer Prize established by provisions in his will, Joseph Pulitzer had a very different reputation while alive. After purchasing The New York World in 1884 and rapidly increasing circulation through the publication of sensationalist stories he earned the dubious honour of being the pioneer of tabloid journalism.

I was reading a book on the US Presidents and came across a little titbit that caught my attention on Yellow journalism, which I think was really just taking some facts then adding in a whole load of unsubstantial shite and calling the gash bit, freedom of speech.

Funny thing is one of the biggest fake news journalists was so popular he made millions. And his name is now associated with great literature awards.

Joseph Pulitzer

Although these days his name is somewhat synonymous with journalism of the highest standards, through association with the Pulitzer Prize established by provisions in his will, Joseph Pulitzer had a very different reputation while alive. After purchasing The New York World in 1884 and rapidly increasing circulation through the publication of sensationalist stories he earned the dubious honour of being the pioneer of tabloid journalism.

If you're interested in US Presidents TET, Thomas Jefferson, Author of America, by Christopher Hitchens, is well worth a read.

Joseph Pulitzer

Definitely not new, think my issue is that our bloggers, who I think initially were no nonsense, have become tabloids in a way

Definitely not new, think my issue is that our bloggers, who I think initially were no nonsense, have become tabloids in a way
advertising revenues are higher if you have click bait

the drawback of free blogs is reliance on adverts

its same as financial failures 2008

the rating agencies (basically the financial press) got paid more from the companies they rated if they gave good ratings

defeats purpose

ratings are suppose to be independent

but if you give bad rating the company sues you and doesnt allow you to report on them

a bit like football now, you write truth, you get banned by club from reporting on them

free press is not so free when advertisement pays your bills

advertising revenues are higher if you have click bait

the drawback of free blogs is reliance on adverts

its same as financial failures 2008

the rating agencies (basically the financial press) got paid more from the companies they rated if they gave good ratings

defeats purpose

ratings are suppose to be independent

but if you give bad rating the company sues you and doesnt allow you to report on them

a bit like football now, you write truth, you get banned by club from reporting on them

free press is not so free when advertisement pays your bills
Yip, like I said not new. Disappointing all the same, from ‘our’ guys

Reactions: TET

Members online

Latest posts

Back