Long throws

Fisiani

We have a great goalkeeper, defenders and attackers. When was the last time that we had a player who could take a long throw in? In the final third of the pitch it's like a corner being taken. In the 50 plus years that I have watched Celtic our consistent failing is in taking throw ins. They are usually taken by the fullbacks because that the way that it has always been done. Our corner kicks are usually taken by Jota or O'Reilly because of their accuracy. There are usually dozens of throw ins in a match and both on attack and defence they seem impromptu and with no recognised plan. Perhaps we should have a few sessions with this guy. Liverpool seem to be doing ok.

Thomas Grønnemark is the world's first throw-in coach and works with top teams across the world including at Liverpool under Jurgen Klopp. The 45-year-old is also responsible for the world's longest throw-in and has competed internationally as a sprinter and a bobsledder.

That blonde guy we had on loan a few seasons back had the long throw in didn't he??
Not anges style. He wants them short to our players....less chance of losing possession. Hart or our CB aren't allowed to go long. A lot of our corners are taking short. Less chance of losing possession. Given our lack of real height or strength in the forward positions, it would seem a waste anyway.

When we take a throw in it seems like there is no designated receiver. It relies on improvisation and is not seen as important as a free kick or corner. It is still a restart of the game and it can be done poorly, averagely or well. It can surely be improved. I think it would a good idea to get better at taking throw ins.

Not so sure about the long throw ins all be it wouldn't harm to have that option.
But I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned on here many a time that we are pretty poor at throw ins.
I might be wrong put it does feel like we give away possession more often than not from them.
Not so much of a biggie for me but definitely a frustrating annoyance at times.

Not so sure about the long throw ins all be it wouldn't harm to have that option.
But I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned on here many a time that we are pretty poor at throw ins.
I might be wrong put it does feel like we give away possession more often than not from them.
Not so much of a biggie for me but definitely a frustrating annoyance at times.
Absolutely correct - our throw ins are terrible with too little movement and options. Far too often we lose possession from them so we need to improve on them. The option of a long-throw would be nice but we don't have enough height in our attack to use it too many times.

We have a great goalkeeper, defenders and attackers. When was the last time that we had a player who could take a long throw in? In the final third of the pitch it's like a corner being taken. In the 50 plus years that I have watched Celtic our consistent failing is in taking throw ins. They are usually taken by the fullbacks because that the way that it has always been done. Our corner kicks are usually taken by Jota or O'Reilly because of their accuracy. There are usually dozens of throw ins in a match and both on attack and defence they seem impromptu and with no recognised plan. Perhaps we should have a few sessions with this guy. Liverpool seem to be doing ok.

Thomas Grønnemark is the world's first throw-in coach and works with top teams across the world including at Liverpool under Jurgen Klopp. The 45-year-old is also responsible for the world's longest throw-in and has competed internationally as a sprinter and a bobsledder.
I’ve been watching the same 50+ years and our throw ins and corners have always been poor.
Maybe Ange will call it part of our development.
Work in progress anyone!!!
HH

If you're Wimbledon in the 80's, or a quarter-back in the NFL, then throw ins might be an issue.

To give credit where it's due, we were slow and ponderous with Lenny at shies, but we get the ball moving much quicker under Ange (even when it goes sideways and backwards).

If you want to gauge a team by 'throw-ins', then you might want to start watching basketball.

I'm more concerned with how we defend and attack corners. Throw-ins are merely a last resort 'Hail Mary' and I get enough o' them after confession (besides the 5 or so Our Fathers)

Members online

Latest posts

Back