Losing Broony

Magnificent 7

As the dust settles on what was probably another damp squib on Sunday. One thing that was on my mind was Broony and what happens next. Of all the changes that are gonna be made this will be one that will be felt as a defining moment. He showed glimpses of his former self and had me thinking about how many games throughout the years that he dragged and inspired players round about him to get their finger out sometimes just purely by his performance. I suspect the strong rumours that he is about to go into coaching elsewhere are true and could be realised quicker than we think if he takes up the Aberdeen opportunity. Age has caught up with him and his physical ability is no longer at its peak and he may be thinking one more season is a step too far.
He will be a massive loss for obvious reasons. ..and one we may feel for a few seasons to come as they don't make many like him any more. I am sure we will see his return in years to come ...but should we make it a priority to get him in our set up in some coaching capacity right now ..surely he would be a pivotal figure for any new coaching team that's coming in to assist in any rebuild. Are we sleepwalking again here with Broony ?

As the dust settles on what was probably another damp squib on Sunday. One thing that was on my mind was Broony and what happens next. Of all the changes that are gonna be made this will be one that will be felt as a defining moment. He showed glimpses of his former self and had me thinking about how many games throughout the years that he dragged and inspired players round about him to get their finger out sometimes just purely by his performance. I suspect the strong rumours that he is about to go into coaching elsewhere are true and could be realised quicker than we think if he takes up the Aberdeen opportunity. Age has caught up with him and his physical ability is no longer at its peak and he may be thinking one more season is a step too far.
He will be a massive loss for obvious reasons. ..and one we may feel for a few seasons to come as they don't make many like him any more. I am sure we will see his return in years to come ...but should we make it a priority to get him in our set up in some coaching capacity right now ..surely he would be a pivotal figure for any new coaching team that's coming in to assist in any rebuild. Are we sleepwalking again here with Broony ?
Great post you're saying what many of us are thinking he will be sorely missed if he goes, we should be pulling out all the stops to keep him at Celtic Park.

Last edited:
needs kept if true he's off then it's another act of neglect by this board he would be an assett to any new incoming backroom staff
The "paper" claims we offered him another one year contract but he wants the fast track into management that the Aberdeen gig offers.
Losing Broony is bad enough but if Calmac gets the captaincy that'll be another man down, he can't seem to play while wearing an armband!
I'd rather see Ajer as captain, if he's still here next season 🤷‍♂️

needs kept if true he's off then it's another act of neglect by this board he would be an assett to any new incoming backroom staff
Agree must be a great influence on the younger players, remember Ajer first derby McGregors kick at him, never happened again and was in among Broonie backing up when the mong moreloss was it. Welsh will be the same Moreloss wont be kicking him again, think when games are analysed Broonie points out the areas they should be physical and will get away with. You cannot buy experience like his and would be a keeper having him around talking and advising.
All the talk of finished from other clubs is a mark of respect that they prefer a game he is not involved in.

Its probably the correct time for Brown to move on. The problem it causes lies completely at feet of the exiting CEO and departed manager(s) who have not had a succession plan for him in place.
Soro, at least for now, is not the long term answer but will still be an important squad player next season. McGregor will take over as captain and will be the 'old' head in what looks like being a very young team. Ideally we should be looking to help McGregor with an experienced (late 20s/early 30s) defensive midfielder who fits the style of play of the new head coach.
The two I can think of, providing the new management team want them, are James McCarthy, aged 30, over his injury problems and out of contract in the summer, or bring Victor Wanyama back from Montreal, he's still only 29.
If Brown goes to Aberdeen then they should get another season out of him, they have young energetic midfielders who he could help with his experience and they can hep him by do his running and covering for him.

The "paper" claims we offered him another one year contract but he wants the fast track into management that the Aberdeen gig offers.
Losing Broony is bad enough but if Calmac gets the captaincy that'll be another man down, he can't seem to play while wearing an armband!
I'd rather see Ajer as captain, if he's still here next season 🤷‍♂️
Calmac plays worse when Brown is in the team. He spends more time trying to cover for him than playing his own game. He has played his best games when Soro was in the team.

A terrific post M7. I think we all agree with your opinion regarding time having caught up with Broony; the evidence is there for all to see. However, that indomitable spirit is part of his very being and has played an equal part in making him the player and legend he undoubtedly is. I would understand if he wanted to take the next step in his career. I'm also sure Celtic would benefit from it some time down the line. From a purely selfish viewpoint I hope he stays, his influence during a difficult period of transition just couldn't be bought. Either way, a true legend has graced The Hoops. It's been an absolute privilege to witness and enjoy his massive contribution to our club.

Broony is up there with the greats.

Broony is a Celtic legend, I think he’s taken the right path to go to another club and cut his coaching skills teeth, or he could just end up another Kennedy, let him grow and develop his skill set away from the must win pressures here, he’ll be back 5-10 years,

All the best mate, born winner, cut him and he bleeds green, wish him EVERY success (apart from when he’s playing us)

YNWA, hail hail 💚🍀

I can fully understand this decision broony may have taken and believe it could be the best for all concerned.
This decision makes perfect sense if a whole new management team is in the process of taking over, if not it will cause uproar.
With the level of rebuild required I would expect a new manager to call time on the playing careers of broony, rogic, Griff and Bitton at least as we have become stale in many respects.
I would be disgusted if we let broony go and yet appointed JK as manager.
I believe the 2 of them should go elsewhere to gain the experience required so someday they may return in a far better place to take over such a job as ours.
It is a huge decision that has possibly been made and I do hope it works out well for all concerned.
Broony will always be regarded as a club hero and legend and sure he will return to us in the future and continue his legacy that he has set for himself with the club.
I would wish broony all the best in his future and await his return with open arms upon his return.
Of course it is a decision that is not going to go down to well with much of the support, so just hoping now more positive news is on the way as regards the restructure of the whole backroom team to get us back to where we should be sadly without our captain marvel

Is he really going or is it speculation because it's really strange he'd be leaving when we haven't appointed a new manager yet ,the new man would have a look at the squad and have his thoughts of who he could use and who should go,,,,,,,or are we stuck with Docco ,,,,,aw ffs

Is he really going or is it speculation because it's really strange he'd be leaving when we haven't appointed a new manager yet ,the new man would have a look at the squad and have his thoughts of who he could use and who should go,,,,,,,or are we stuck with Docco ,,,,,aw ffs
At a guess kelly I wouldn't say a potential new manager would not want to be seen as the man to basically ended broony time at the club imo, as it could put him under pressure straight away from many of the supporters

What a lousy time for Broony to be leaving without the acknowledgement of 62,000 Celtic supporters chanting his name showing how much he has been respected as one of the greatest Celtic captains of all time,a true Legend.
I have no doubt the first time he returns to Parkhead in front of the fans he will hardly hear himself think due to the atmosphere the worlds greatest supporters will produce just for him..
When will we see his likes again..

HH.

What a lousy time for Broony to be leaving without the acknowledgement of 62,000 Celtic supporters chanting his name showing how much he has been respected as one of the greatest Celtic captains of all time,a true Legend.
I have no doubt the first time he returns to Parkhead in front of the fans he will hardly hear himself think due to the atmosphere the worlds greatest supporters will produce just for him..
When will we see his likes again..

HH.
That's the main part around this whole thing that is not right, by getting the proper send off

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back