Mark Lawwell

Gary67

Celtic Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Mark Lawwell as Head of First Team Scouting and Recruitment.

Mark joins Celtic from his position as Head of CFG Scouting and Recruitment, within City Football Group’s global structure, having spent the last 10 years there.

Mark, who will join the Club in readiness for the summer transfer window, previously worked closely with Celtic Manager Ange Postecoglou on scouting and recruitment throughout Ange’s time as Manager of Yokohama F Marinos.

Celtic Manager, Ange Postecoglou said: “I was very keen for Mark to join the Club and clearly I am delighted that he has accepted this important role and that we have been able to bring him to Celtic.

“Mark is someone who I worked closely with throughout my four years at Marinos, through which time we developed great trust and an excellent working relationship. He knows the way I like to work, the way my teams play and the particular player profile which this requires."

The Manager added: “I know he will be a great addition to our team, leading our first-team scouting and recruitment function and delivering on our key objective of identifying and bringing exciting, talented players to the Club.

"We have a great team of people at the Club and since joining Celtic I have been hugely impressed by the staff around me who have all worked so hard to deliver success.

"I have said before that I didn’t want to make changes just for the sake of it, but we always aim to build and develop everything we do and in bringing Mark in I know we have made an appointment which will be hugely beneficial for us moving forward."

Question that needs to be asked, and what we will never likely find out is, would he have got the job if his dad wasn't old Pete...same question could he asked about Strachan junior.....seems a bit, jobs for mates and family. Lennons still quite pally with DD. How long before his son...Gallagher Lennon, i think, is offered a nice wee job??

True...Time will tell I suppose. Not sure what he achieved at City. He was very good at loaning out players.....to Celtic 🤔🤔 maybe that's why he's left City...daddy isn't making him look good by taking the players City don't want!!
Av no idea about the guy either mate but reading the gaffer knew him from another club and he trusted him we need to trust the gaffers judgement on it this summers business will be crucial 🤞

Question that needs to be asked, and what we will never likely find out is, would he have got the job if his dad wasn't old Pete...same question could he asked about Strachan junior.....seems a bit, jobs for mates and family. Lennons still quite pally with DD. How long before his son...Gallagher Lennon, i think, is offered a nice wee job??
Just thinking aswell there ange must have knew the boy before Peter

True...Time will tell I suppose. Not sure what he achieved at City. He was very good at loaning out players.....to Celtic 🤔🤔 maybe that's why he's left City...daddy isn't making him look good by taking the players City don't want!!
Maybe he'll now do the opposite and start loaning Celtic players to Man City? Hopefully Barkas, Bolingoli and Ajeti will be playing at the Etihad next season!!!

Think it was probably Mark who told his da about ange. Not matter what anyone says I don't believe for a minute he's got this job after a rigorous, independent application process and he outshone everyone else to the best candidate for the job.
No i believe the manager having worked with him before and they got on so gaffer said aye obviously it looks a lazy jobs for the boys appointment but I don't believe ange wid put up way that this summers recruitment is massive I don't believe the gaffer who you can tell fuckin loves winning is just gonny accept Lawwell put on him without him ok'ing it aye its convenient but as I said they know each other from another club they obviously get on I trust the gaffer if shit goes tits up then we can get awe angry until then we collect trophies😎

I think most of us were aware that Ange had worked closely with Lawwell Junior when we appointed him last summer. The suddenness of his appointment, coupled with the fact he was going to have Kennedy & Strachan by his side gave a lot of us the fear that it was Peter Lawwell's last "gift" to us as departing CEO.

As it transpired, Ange truly was a gift and Peter had been fully briefed on the new manager from his son. Now if they had a very fruitful and successful working relationship in the past then this bodes well for us in the future. Recruitment of the right type of players to go on and develop & improve will be the key to us advancing as a club in European football - we should be able to compete and give a decent showing in the Champions League Group Stages, occasionally qualifying to the knock out stages, or having a run in the Europa (I will give credit to sevco for this as they are over-achieving in Europe with the players they have, and yes they have needed a lot of luck).

I hope this proves to be an excellent appointment for the club and welcome Mark to Celtic.

I like John Kennedy.......
John comes across as a quiet, decent person. Like several others, his reputation was dented with the part he played in last season's shitshow. If he had come in as stand-in and dropped the want-aways who flopped so badly without a care in the world then he would have gotten a lot more credit but he never.

However, ex-players speak highly of him and I said last summer when Ange started to show what he was capable of that I hoped that one of his legacies would be to develop Kennedy & Strachan into much better coaches capable of taking over when Ange does leave. I'm really hoping they are improving and learning as much as the players clearly are.

Don't believe for a minute the Celtic board would look for any other candidate ,,,,an outsider

Lawwells son fits the bill his da worked at Celtic and Desmonds his mate ,,,your hired ,,,,,starchans bhoys are in , and am sure when a vacancy comes in one of the consession stands lennys wee fella will be hired

all part of being in the Celtic family

No problem with Mark Lawwell being appointed, experienced and worked with Ange fair enough.

Its the City group connection that has wee bells ringing in my heed 🤔. I've had this nagging feeling for a while that the tash man might be off-loading his Celtic shares to the City group, and well cant see a lot of our fans being to happy about it. Hopefully it is just me looking too deep at things (again).

Or maybe its just a few of their staff moving on who knows eh 🤷

Members online

Latest posts

Back