McGinn - Bullet dodged??

It’s a fair point but there is good quality in the league and with the right coaching he could have developed the way Armstrong did. With the way the club is now it has to be run efficiently when it comes to the financial side of things, but it’s pretty poor on the boards part as the manager wanted him and he went for around the same price we paid for Bangura or Puki. I’d rather have players that are tried and tested stand outs in the spfl than Scepovic who no one had heard of and looked out of his depth in the league.

Another fair point but being female i dont like budgets ??☘️

Personally myself I didn't think he was worth the mentioned amount,
I think a statement was made to other clubs that Celtic will not pay over the odds. Having said that, I think McGinn would have been sold for a profit eventually.... The milk has been spilled, and I am over it.

Reactions: TET
The fact he was in his last year and would be free agent if not sold was a key point in his transfer.

Personally I liked McGinn
But i dont think he would have been first team player if Brown Mcgregor and Ntcham were fit.
The price being asked for a player who wouldnt have been first choice was too high.
He may have buckled under the pressure AT Celtic
He may have looked good at hibs but that doesnt automatically mean he would be good at Celtic.
I think he would have been hit at Celtic but its no definate.
I also thought Scott Allan from Hibs would have worked at one time Allan was best Hibs player by far.
Ryan Christie looked brilliant at Inverness then Aberdeen hasnt really set anything on fire at Celtic
Johnny Hayes I thought would be brilliant player for us again very disappointing
Jack Hendry looked dynamite at Dundee again not really hit great form at Celtic
Lewis Morgan looked gem at St Mirren but time will tell if he can cut it.

Therefore in my opinion the price for McGinn in last few months of his Hibs contract was far too high.

He may have been worth it. He may not.

The price being asked wasnt worth the risk.
Besides the deciding factopr was the fact he wasnt really adding value to the 11 on the park.

Its gonna get harder to add value to the 11 on the park without breaking the operating costs beyond operating income, which would be long term stupid thing to do.

ASMUCH AS I WANT BETER PLAYERS ON THE PARK FOR SEVERAL POSITIONS I THINK ADDED VALUE OFF THE PARK WITH PROPER RISK ASSESSMENTS IS EQUALLY IMPORTANT.

I still think we do too much buying from teams who aren't as good as us but do have a stand out player bailing them out. It's always a gamble whether or not they can up their game to Celtic's level and some do and others don't, no matter the coaching. I'd rather we splashed out on a couple of finished articles rather than waste millions on hopefuls.

I still think we do too much buying from teams who aren't as good as us but do have a stand out player bailing them out. It's always a gamble whether or not they can up their game to Celtic's level and some do and others don't, no matter the coaching. I'd rather we splashed out on a couple of finished articles rather than waste millions on hopefuls.

You make an excellent point. We also weaken opponents with such a strategy. Look what happened to Dundee Utd when we raided their talent. I would prefer stiffer competition.

I wouldn't be too unhappy if we took a punt on stevie mallan in january, been very impressed with him this year, not afraid to have a pop from outside the box which is exactly what we need when we inevitably come up against 11 men camped out in the 18 yard box!

I wouldn't be too unhappy if we took a punt on stevie mallan in january, been very impressed with him this year, not afraid to have a pop from outside the box which is exactly what we need when we inevitably come up against 11 men camped out in the 18 yard box!
But you said that word PUNT again. A sure bet would suit my aspirations better, Danoli or am I just being too fanciful? :rolleyes:

But you said that word PUNT again. A sure bet would suit my aspirations better, Danoli or am I just being too fanciful? :rolleyes:
Nothing wrong with a sure bet shamrock, unfortunately though given the market we operate in more often than not we are probably doing exactly that, punting. Mallan has impressed me greatly this year and his willingness to have a dig an added bonus. Hail Hail

The fact he was in his last year and would be free agent if not sold was a key point in his transfer.

Personally I liked McGinn
But i dont think he would have been first team player if Brown Mcgregor and Ntcham were fit.
The price being asked for a player who wouldnt have been first choice was too high.
He may have buckled under the pressure AT Celtic
He may have looked good at hibs but that doesnt automatically mean he would be good at Celtic.
I think he would have been hit at Celtic but its no definate.
I also thought Scott Allan from Hibs would have worked at one time Allan was best Hibs player by far.
Ryan Christie looked brilliant at Inverness then Aberdeen hasnt really set anything on fire at Celtic
Johnny Hayes I thought would be brilliant player for us again very disappointing
Jack Hendry looked dynamite at Dundee again not really hit great form at Celtic
Lewis Morgan looked gem at St Mirren but time will tell if he can cut it.

Therefore in my opinion the price for McGinn in last few months of his Hibs contract was far too high.

He may have been worth it. He may not.

The price being asked wasnt worth the risk.
Besides the deciding factopr was the fact he wasnt really adding value to the 11 on the park.

Its gonna get harder to add value to the 11 on the park without breaking the operating costs beyond operating income, which would be long term stupid thing to do.

ASMUCH AS I WANT BETER PLAYERS ON THE PARK FOR SEVERAL POSITIONS I THINK ADDED VALUE OFF THE PARK WITH PROPER RISK ASSESSMENTS IS EQUALLY IMPORTANT.
Tet i am chomping at the bit to see young Morgan unleashed, I genuinely feel he will be something special,bucketloads of potential, what do you make of young mallan at hibs? Very impressive this year i reckon

Still no sure about either of them tbh.

I hope Morgan can pick up the standard he was playing with St Mirren.
Mallan has looked very decent. And i also agree we need more guys with long range accuracy. Not just shots but corners freekicks.

I wish Rogic could get his stamina fixed. Must be a dna thing coz he can strike ball and dribble and well I guess he probably be at Man Utd if he could last 90 minutes.

I have high hopes for morgan. He needs a good run at first team though. A mallan type player who could look that good at us would be great. Whether Mallan could handle that pressure Im no sure. Would depend on the money side of the deal whether it worth the punt.

McGinn would have been great punt at around 2 million with him knowing he needs to grab his chances when they appeared.

But if villa can pay more and offer better game time then I think from his perspective it was better move.

In a year he may well be better than Our current players. But its the game time and the ability to be consistent at the highr level and the mentallity Im no sure he got yet.

Middle of the park is a crucial part of Celtic. I really think we need guaranteed high quality in there.

Need at least one finished artlice in Central defence
2 in midfield and at least 1 up front preferably 2 one solid bulldozer and 1 goal machine

But its swings and roundabout

Ive always been prefering 442 with 2 very strong CM who can bite and strike and stamina to get box to box.

with the flair on thewings with quality precision crosses with strikers one powerhouse and a one touch striker

Spot on the money for me, Shamrock. ☘️

In the old days we got all our players from other clubs in Scotland cracking players as well. Just look at the lions most came from the juniors. Dixie Dean's from Motherwell Ronnie Glavin from Partick Thistle Dom sullivan from Aberdeen. Pat McGinlay from Hibs. The list goes on and on. Nowadays the Sky money has imo destroyed Scottish Football in a way that we all know money talks. And here in Scotland I believe we will never get close to the bigger leagues without a t v deal that is comparable to the sky EPL deals. HH ☘️

In the old days we got all our players from other clubs in Scotland cracking players as well. Just look at the lions most came from the juniors. Dixie Dean's from Motherwell Ronnie Glavin from Partick Thistle Dom sullivan from Aberdeen. Pat McGinlay from Hibs. The list goes on and on. Nowadays the Sky money has imo destroyed Scottish Football in a way that we all know money talks. And here in Scotland I believe we will never get close to the bigger leagues without a t v deal that is comparable to the sky EPL deals. HH ☘️
Still the odd piece of gold to be found though mhate like young robertson at liverpool is certainly proving

Still the odd piece of gold to be found though mhate like young robertson at liverpool is certainly proving

There is lots of players who can make it to high level. The hard bit is geting them gametime at the correct club for thier talent and building up thier talent through regular use at a demanding enough level to grow but not so high that they lose thier confidence through lack of game time or stepping too high before they are ready.

I have no doubt Mcginn, Morgan, Hendry, and few others in Scotland can cut it at Celtic. But whether they are ready this moment isthe hard bit. And if they aintready right now will they get the game time to burst through thier inexperience without destroying thier confidence or perhaps even the title through unconvincing periods of form. Can they hack the flak that comes with the pressure to perform on demand every match?

If not coming to Celtic a little too early can break the confidence of even the best young players in world.

Its a hard art to take a player who should be capable and making him the player he could be week in week out.

Some guys just fold even though thier talent is more than capable to push onto greatness

There is lots of players who can make it to high level. The hard bit is geting them gametime at the correct club for thier talent and building up thier talent through regular use at a demanding enough level to grow but not so high that they lose thier confidence through lack of game time or stepping too high before they are ready.

I have no doubt Mcginn, Morgan, Hendry, and few others in Scotland can cut it at Celtic. But whether they are ready this moment isthe hard bit. And if they aintready right now will they get the game time to burst through thier inexperience without destroying thier confidence or perhaps even the title through unconvincing periods of form. Can they hack the flak that comes with the pressure to perform on demand every match?

If not coming to Celtic a little too early can break the confidence of even the best young players in world.

Its a hard art to take a player who should be capable and making him the player he could be week in week out.

Some guys just fold even though thier talent is more than capable to push onto greatness
Cracking post mate, I suppose there is always the temptation to hype up the young players and the star could burn brightly but fade even quicker! I do think we have some cracking young players on the books including Lewis Morgan and young henderson looks like he could be a cracker as well,saw him destroy man u in a youth game in the summer, so bodes well for the future

Back