McStay dismissal v Huns allegedly cost Celtic the League

BILLCOWIE1958

Back in the day a few of our older members and guests may remember James 'Solly' Sanderson the Sports Journalist who was part of Radio Clyde's Superscoreboard programme back in the 1970's and 80s

He was an avid Boxing fan but he also maintained that his football team of preference was Kilmarnock Whether this was the case or otherwise I cannot verify

His knowledge of football was 2nd to none and when he spoke he generally made sense

During the post match phone ins he would take calls and often vilify callers if they admitted to not attending a match that day

His continual 'Were you at the game today caller'? or his other favoured question 'Are you accusing me of mendacity caller'? were both legendary

I recall one particular Saturday back in March 1986 when I attended Ibrox for an Old Firm match which ultimately ended in a 4-4 stalemate

In the course of the game which saw Celtic lead 3-1 just after half time Willie McStay was red carded and the HUNS went on to lead 4-3 before Murdo McLeod scored a screamer from outside the box to equalise

I got home and tuned into Superscoreboard just in time to hear Jimmy Sanderson pontificate that Willie McStay had cost Celtic the League

When Dundee beat Hearts 2-0 on the final day of the season and Celtic beat St Mirren 5-0 at Love St to wrest the Title from Hearts' grasp the Phone in was full of callers pulling up Jimmy Sanderson for his claim about McStay a few weeks earluer

Sanderson denied making the statement and was never held in as high esteem again

After Sanderson died Chick Young tried to take over his mantle but failed miserably and ended up joining BBC Along with his claims that he was a St Mirren fan none of his claims were ever fully believed indeed one wag claimed the he must have the best eyesight imaginable as he would sit and watch St Mirren play at Love St from the Club Deck at Ibrox

HH?

Last edited:
Back in the day a few of our older members and guests may remember James 'Solly' Sanderson the Sports Journalist who was part of Radio Clyde's Superscoreboard programme back in the 1970's and 80s

He was an avid Boxing fan but he also maintained that his football team of preference was Kilmarnock Whether this was the case or otherwise I cannot verify

His knowledge of football was 2nd to none and when he spoke he generally made sense

During the post match phone ins he would take calls and often vilify callers if they admitted to not attending a match that day

His continual 'Were you at the game today caller'? or his other favoured question 'Are you accusing me of mendacity caller'? were both legendaryi

I recall one particular Saturday back in March 1986 when I attended Ibrox for an Old Firm match which ultimately ended in a 4-4 stalemate

In the course of the game which saw Celtic lead 3-1 just after half time Willie McStay was red carded and the HUNS went on to lead 4-3 before Murdo McLeod scored a screamer from outside the box to equalise

I got home and tuned into Superscoreboard just in time to hear Jimmy Sanderson pontificate that Willie McStay had cost Celtic the League

When Dundee beat Hearts 2-0 on the final day of the season and Celtic beat St Mirren 5-0 at Love St to wrest the Title from Hearts' grasp the Phone in was full of callers pulling up Jimmy Sanderson for his claim about McStay a few weeks earluer

Sanderson denied making the statement and was never held in as high esteem again

After Sanderson died Chick Young tried to take over his mantle but failed miserably and ended up joining BBC Along with his claims that he was a St Mirren fan none of his claims were ever fully believed indeed one wag claimed the he must have the best eyesight imaginable as he would sit and watch St Mirren play at Love St from the Club Deck at Ibrox

HH?
nic one Bill, glad your on the mend Hail Hail B

Wee Jimmy Sanderson was legendary for his impatience with callers who did not attend a game , as you say Bill .
This gave rise to the famous story of a caller phoning in to comment on a game:

''Where you at the game , caller ?'' asks Jimmy .
''Eh , no , Jimmy . It was the wife's funeral today .''
''Oh come on now , caller . That wouldn't take the whole day ! ''

HH

Last edited:

His continual 'Were you at the game today caller'? or his other favoured question 'Are you accusing me of mendacity caller'? were both legendary

HH?

That quote was actually said by Jabba. I heard it. Talk about irony.

Wee Jimmy Sanderson was legendary for his impatience with callers who did not attend a game , as you say Bill .
This gave rise to the famous story of a caller phoning in to comment on a game:

''Where you at the game , caller ?'' asks Jimmy .
''Eh , no , Jimmy . It was the wife's funeral today .''
''Oh come on now , caller . That wouldn't take the whole day ! ''

HH
Puttin the Kids intae care fur haf a day wiz another wan???????

Back