Mikey Johnston

Gary67

Make or break time for him between now and the end of this season. He needs to go out on loan in January, to a team who play attacking football, and get game time. He also needs to stay fit during this period.
If he does go out on loan, and does well, then he can rejoin in the summer ready to challenge for a first team place next season. If he continues to flatter to deceive and remains injury prone then it'll be time to move him on permanently.
The same goes for Soro. Even with a dearth of midfielders he isn't trusted by the manager. A loan move, regular football and hopefully game time will iron out some of his many flaws. If not then time to move him on as well.

Make or break time for him between now and the end of this season. He needs to go out on loan in January, to a team who play attacking football, and get game time. He also needs to stay fit during this period.
If he does go out on loan, and does well, then he can rejoin in the summer ready to challenge for a first team place next season. If he continues to flatter to deceive and remains injury prone then it'll be time to move him on permanently.
The same goes for Soro. Even with a dearth of midfielders he isn't trusted by the manager. A loan move, regular football and hopefully game time will iron out some of his many flaws. If not then time to move him on as well.
Time's up on Mikey,adds nothing to the team&when we're actually taking off major contributors to give him a shot then I'm afraid he's not 1st team material

There is a ruthless streak starting to develop with some of our players atm and maybe with the January transfer window fast approaching this will increase more so.
I feel Mikey Johnston is currently one of the biggest victims in what is totally wrong in Scottish football and no one seems to give a fuck about it, and us as a club haven't given the poor lad the proper opportunity to fulfil his career imo.
Mikey got a bad injury and has missed an awful lot of football for someone so young with the potential talent he had.
Yet where was his recovery from Injury?
No where to be seen. Part of his recovery should have involved having plenty of game time, like they would do in England with the u23 team.
We in Scotland offer nothing available, if we had a 2nd team in the lower league this would have helped potential Scottish talent in there recovery.
Instead they have to be able to get up to speed and have the confidence to match the demands that is expected at our club.
Very big ask for someone so young in his career.
The injury at the start of the season has held Mikey back hugely again and with the best player in Scotland currently in his position, then he stands to become another scapegoat for our support.
Not until this board starts to stand up to the Scottish FA and start showing some balls in wanting to protect and help our younger players in there careers, then the likes of other Mikey Johnston will start to become our normal and ready to throw them upon the scrape heap first time injury come to them.
Sorry for the rant, but it's something that I believe is very wrong within our club and Scottish football in general and we still slate them when they want to fuck off elsewhere, ask yourself is it any wonder why?

Punt him
He can't spot a run ,take a pass ,make a simple pass and fks up more counter attacks by being either greedy or stupid
If he's on a one on one you can bet he will play it back the way he got away with it Rodgers team which i still didn't rate him and last nights cameo summed up all thats wrong with his game

Everything yesterday with Johnston (AND McCarthy for that matter) when added to the team was a backward and negative display from both.
18 minutes from each of them plus another 12 minutes injury time, added nothing to the team and in fact left the remaining players struggling to correct their mistakes and slow play.

They must get either loaned out or punted in January....asap.

I really do like Ange, his style and attitude but yet again he got it wrong in the big decisions AND it cost us hugely.
Its nonsense to suggest that taking off Jota and Forrest for the remainder of the game was necessary, because neither showed any tiredness or injury at a time when we were not just in good stead, but Leverkusen were unable to beat our defence and didn't look like doing so anytime soon.

In fact had Ange left it alone I am convinced we would be sitting with a win today and not even a draw.....I think if anyone was going to score again it was going to be Jota or Forrest such was our forward movement. It went downhill from there.
But to lose was not going to happen.

In Germany against an excellent team we pulled this one out of the bag and until Ange messed them up we had this one home and hosed.

Last edited:
Mikey has looked good in the past but coming on for Jota brings direct comparisons and he's just nowhere near Jotas level. Maybe more game time and training with those guys will improve him so I'd keep him a bit longer. I wouldn't bring him on at the end of a big match when it hangs in the ballance though.
As for McCarthy, I expected a lot from him and so far he's not been much better than Shane Duffy! What's the deal?

Mikey has looked good in the past but coming on for Jota brings direct comparisons and he's just nowhere near Jotas level. Maybe more game time and training with those guys will improve him so I'd keep him a bit longer. I wouldn't bring him on at the end of a big match when it hangs in the ballance though.
As for McCarthy, I expected a lot from him and so far he's not been much better than Shane Duffy! What's the deal?
Four fuckin years!that's the deal😳😳he's not shown us a thing yet

Mikey johnson is still a very young player, i think he has lot to offer in future.

He wasnt the answer last night, was a terrible substitution imo.

horses for courses

he might not be finished article yet but he is a quality young player,

id rather he was kept as back up to first team

Cant understand the hate that a lot of our good players get

He can't pass wind, woeful

Mikey johnson is still a very young player, i think he has lot to offer in future.

He wasnt the answer last night, was a terrible substitution imo.

horses for courses

he might not be finished article yet but he is a quality young player,

id rather he was kept as back up to first team

Cant understand the hate that a lot of our good players get
Johnson has had more time than any young player before him.How much more do you suggest?

Ange got the subs wrong last night.Jota and Forrest should have stayed on. Johnson and Ajeti absolutely woeful. Cost us the game.
Bang on..

Maybe game time in the "wee" league games will help him, but why a change from Jota when he was still motoring like a maddie.....
I think Jota was not happy when he came off, by the look on his face.
Mikey........well he was awful for the whole of his 26 minutes yesterday....inc time added on.

Johnson has had more time than any young player before him.How much more do you suggest?
more time than most?

he hardly ever gets a game since he got injured under lennon and fell out of favour

i dont see any better options available as cover and he is still very very young

play him in games he can make a difference with tactics that suit his style

getting thrown in against leverkusen away when he cant really defend was tactically garbage move.

in a game we could have won Ange decided to keep a poor shape despite fact it was getting cut open time and time again

other than goal which came from another hate figure Bitton good pass

Jota didnt do that much wonder play imo

he was better than johnson but at the price he being offered at you would expect that

until we have a better back up option than mikey johnston i say mikey should be getting better opportunities against teams he can hurt to get his confidence up

mikey johnston is miles better than frimpong ever was yet frimpong for some reason got pass for being truly shite for us

but mikey who was doing well got injured gets it in neck

turnbull gets free ride and for me he is weak link in our team most games

now ange is the dude with the weak tactics against good teams

scoring 3 against a team means feck all if your losing 4 or more

the team are playing with more effort tha ;ast year

but the talent of the players is less imo

i dont really rate abada yet but as back up to forrest i think he decent

but mikey gets it in neck long before others

at start of season lot of people had knives out for ralston

but run of games in team got him up to speed

mikey johnston is a good player

i havent seen better in scotland for his age he is 22 ffs and when he match fit he as good as any other left winger in scotland

Wee Mikey Johnston just seems to be another one of those players who although capable of producing moments of brilliance those moments are unfortunately too few and far between and when you add in his injury record, for such a young guy, then he's no somebody who can be relied upon to make any meaningful contribution.

It's a shame but he has all the hallmarks of being one of football's 'nearly men'!

Ange got the subs wrong last night.Jota and Forrest should have stayed on. Johnson and Ajeti absolutely woeful. Cost us the game.
Understand Ally what you are saying but both Forrest and Jota were out on their feet and apart from that I dont think Jamsie contributed a lot.
The problem IMO was not bringing subs on the problem for me was who the subs were.
Ajeti, Mikey and James McCarthy I dont think have had 10-15 hours playing time between them all season,I believe also these subs cost us the game but only because they were not up to speed in playing times when they came on.
IMO we started to fall apart when big Nir went of,if he had stayed fit I think we would have seen the game out or at least got a point.

HH

Back