Niall J looks through the window

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
First two parts below with a follow up to follow this morning, which I'll drop in here...

A Look Through the Window at the Celtic Defence chasing Ten-in-a-Row

A Look through the Window – Celtic strong in middle with the best strikers in Scotland...

First two parts below with a follow up to follow this morning, which I'll drop in here...

A Look Through the Window at the Celtic Defence chasing Ten-in-a-Row

A Look through the Window – Celtic strong in middle with the best strikers in Scotland...

Phew.........I misread that first line as follow follow up to! I aboot choked on my JPS superking and still have the burnt lip to prove it.

You shouldn't fleg me like that, Captain!

Interesting analysis Niall.
It might be interesting to follow that up with a critique of our manager and the longer term planning that we seem to fail at.
How can we go into a critical game with no fit strikers is a failure of management. We had two fit for the bench who when they came on against Motherwell changed the whole dynamic of the team, after the manager decided to justify his Ferencvaros selection by starting the same line up.
And, I ask myself, why for three years now seem to want to do our dealing after the Champions league opportunity is gone.
Some may point the finger at Lawwell, with reasonable cause, but our manager, not coach, has singularly failed to plan
Just my opinion
HH

It might be interesting to follow that up with a critique of our manager and the longer term planning that we seem to fail at.
How can we go into a critical game with no fit strikers is a failure of management. We had two fit for the bench who when they came on against Motherwell changed the whole dynamic of the team, after the manager decided to justify his Ferencvaros selection by starting the same line up.
And, I ask myself, why for three years now seem to want to do our dealing after the Champions league opportunity is gone.
Some may point the finger at Lawwell, with reasonable cause, but our manager, not coach, has singularly failed to plan
Just my opinion
HH
Good points Lmc. I think that Lenny was undoubtedly at fault for his team selection, formation and tactics for the Euro qualifier and the 1st half of the Motherwell game. The players he had available to him should have qualified against a tricky opponent.

I wouldn't attach any blame on him for the transfer activity. We seem to be good at identifying targets but it takes weeks to close out the deal. How often have we been in discussions about bringing a new player in a week or two before important qualifiers only for them to finally sign for us a week or two afterwards when we have already failed. That is where Lawwell gets slagged off for fannying about too much to save a few £100K while losing out on £10s of millions!

I guess he won't change now so we have to put up with the same nonsense every season until he finally leaves.

Just my opinion
HH
Hi Lmcbhoy. I wrote this one the day after the game. It's gone beyond looking at the individual component parts-this is a strategic issue and Celtic could do with outside help. Three years without CL football is something Lawwell himself said was not sustainable. Everyone has now failed and it will take a serious review to link all the departmental issues together.

Good points Lmc. I think that Lenny was undoubtedly at fault for his team selection, formation and tactics for the Euro qualifier and the 1st half of the Motherwell game. The players he had available to him should have qualified against a tricky opponent.

I wouldn't attach any blame on him for the transfer activity. We seem to be good at identifying targets but it takes weeks to close out the deal. How often have we been in discussions about bringing a new player in a week or two before important qualifiers only for them to finally sign for us a week or two afterwards when we have already failed. That is where Lawwell gets slagged off for fannying about too much to save a few £100K while losing out on £10s of millions!

I guess he won't change now so we have to put up with the same nonsense every season until he finally leaves.
Agrre with much of that BB. The timing always frustrates. Teams like Seville struggle to cope with the two giants. They now plan recruitment two years in advance. Even if Celtic adopted a year ahead or even moved the importance of the January window for major surgery and the summer window for the odd sticking plaster it may make more sense.
Lennon had the players for the job. The blame on this occasion lies with him. But not for all our failings over how many years? This is two out the last seven now I think.
It looks like Lawwell gambles we are good enough to get to play off stage and he'll have the recruitment done by then, but that's also a gamble that's been shown to fail as we're not even reaching that stage.
I don't think we are shy on spending money but when we deliver the players may be able to be managed better.

Hi Lmcbhoy. I wrote this one the day after the game. It's gone beyond looking at the individual component parts-this is a strategic issue and Celtic could do with outside help. Three years without CL football is something Lawwell himself said was not sustainable. Everyone has now failed and it will take a serious review to link all the departmental issues together.
I agree it's a strategic issue.
To my mind a high quality director of football looking forward would be the solution but our friendly CEO thinks he can do both jobs.
As CEO you should be challenging the analysis of your departmental heads to ensure the business has joined up thinking. Don't do it yourself.
However Lennon is designated manager not head coach so this becomes his responsibility to plan forward. In this he and the structure have failed in my opinion
HH

Agrre with much of that BB. The timing always frustrates. Teams like Seville struggle to cope with the two giants. They now plan recruitment two years in advance. Even if Celtic adopted a year ahead or even moved the importance of the January window for major surgery and the summer window for the odd sticking plaster it may make more sense.
Lennon had the players for the job. The blame on this occasion lies with him. But not for all our failings over how many years? This is two out the last seven now I think.
It looks like Lawwell gambles we are good enough to get to play off stage and he'll have the recruitment done by then, but that's also a gamble that's been shown to fail as we're not even reaching that stage.
I don't think we are shy on spending money but when we deliver the players may be able to be managed better.
Agree 100%
HH

I agree it's a strategic issue.
To my mind a high quality director of football looking forward would be the solution but our friendly CEO thinks he can do both jobs.
As CEO you should be challenging the analysis of your departmental heads to ensure the business has joined up thinking. Don't do it yourself.
However Lennon is designated manager not head coach so this becomes his responsibility to plan forward. In this he and the structure have failed in my opinion
HH
The fact hammond didn't get the DOF title said a lot at the time. Lennon is a head coach in our structure not a manager. You can tell by how little he is aware of transfer dealings

The fact hammond didn't get the DOF title said a lot at the time. Lennon is a head coach in our structure not a manager. You can tell by how little he is aware of transfer dealings
I remember a couple of years ago a few of our signings referred to Lawwell as our DOF. I think he is good for negotiating deals with sponsors and for the purchading of players, but NOT the selecting of which players we are trying to buy.

I agree. But he is designated manager ..... his responsibility whether he likes it or not.
Do the job or insist on a change to the structure, because he is the one who will take the fall not Lawwell.
HH

Back