Nir Bitton Appreciation Post

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Done. Everyone wants the best for Celtic, lurkers aside, and we're always not going to agree. But my fondest wish is to discuss matters with reason and analysis backed by fact, not conjecture -- I know that may be impossible for some, but a guy can dream, can't he?

2 minutes, just away to Google conjecture.....see this is what you have to deal with larry. 😂😂😂

I don't particularly buy that, SP, but let's say you're right and maybe Bitton is an anomaly.

In Bitton's case, clearly he's got the talent to be where he is, otherwise he wouldn't be here. He wouldn't be playing at this level if he didn't have a high degree of drive to match his immense talent.

And I don't think Bitton's a player with "limited ability" who is "just OK to go along for the ride." I think he's much more than that, and he proves that whenever he takes the pitch. Not playing the game with anger or arrogance is not a drawback -- on the contrary, I think it's an asset. And I don't think selfless play for the good of the club is a drawback either.

As far as "something to prove," Bitton has proved he is a player we can depend on to come in and play the positions he's asked to play. So when a player can do all that, regardless of his motivations, I think he's definitely an asset to the club.
Larry, with the best will in the world, let's use a political analogy to settle the debate.

Is Joe your man?

He wouldn't be my personal choice, but he suits the immediate purpose.

It's the same with Nir, he's kinda acceptable, but he ain't setting the heather on fire either. Do I want him at Celtic? Of course I do, but I can't help feeling he's copped for being the 'everyman' instead THE man.

We've had many players who were'nt 'the man' over the years,you did'nt notice what the brought to the team,until they were left out, big Nir is that,a team player. HH
But how many tears would we shed if he just upped and left?

I'd be sad, but I wouldn't be playing Dionne Warwick records, Michael.

He's a good player. No more, no less. Would you have Nir before anyone who is a regular first team pick?

Larry, with the best will in the world, let's use a political analogy to settle the debate.

Is Joe your man?

He wouldn't be my personal choice, but he suits the immediate purpose.

It's the same with Nir, he's kinda acceptable, but he ain't setting the heather on fire either. Do I want him at Celtic? Of course I do, but I can't help feeling he's copped for being the 'everyman' instead THE man.
:mad: Let me just respond to the political part of your post with this: Bernie would have won. Now we have to choose between two incoherent guys, neither of whom could run a bath, let alone a country.

But I digress.

Point taken, SP.

I have made my feeling son Nir for quite some time now. I think he is a fantastic squad player who has a calming influence whenever/wherever he plays. As SP rightly points out, being so versatile has probably harmed his career, but it has also assured him of being a part of our success. He isn't someone to build a team around, but if you have a team full of players who want to be "Mr Big Stuff" then it invariably goes very badly wrong. You need these low profile water carriers to muck in and do the dirty work to allow the superstars to flourish and shine.

If he had demanded more attention and more game time then I suspect he would have been seen as expendable and punted out the door so I think he is very happy keeping his head down, doing the best he can when he is needed and having a career full of fantastic memories and lots of medals to show his Grandkids. I think he will be very satisfied with his efforts when he finally hangs up his boots, as will his colleagues and bosses.

I like Mr Dependable and I'm delighted his efforts are being recognised and appreciated.

Last edited:
I like Nir and am never nervous about him coming into the team. He has accepted that he is squad player. He keeps calm, bides his time and waits on the call. He has served us well over the years in various roles. He never moans publicly about not getting a game. A good professional.

Just want to apologise to larry for trying to hijack his thread to moan about celtic again.😂😂😂 need to try this "get behind the team" thing you lot talk about. Might make me happier. My opinion on bitton. Pure class. He is just unlucky that his time at celtic has been plagued by injury and the club has a wealth of talent that share his position.....

But how many tears would we shed if he just upped and left?

I'd be sad, but I wouldn't be playing Dionne Warwick records, Michael.

He's a good player. No more, no less. Would you have Nir before anyone who is a regular first team pick?
Every team need a dependable utility player, Nir is underrated, comes in, in times of trouble and strife, does his best, never lets anyone down, not a flashy player, but I’d have him perhaps not in the starting 11 every week, but certainly on the bench

I remember watching Bitton at first when he signed and thought he looked more like Bambi on ice than a footballer as his limbs didn't look as if they worked in concert with the rest of his body. Maybe that's why he's had so many injuries!

Now I think he's the type of player every football team could do with. He has filled different positions, doesn't behave like a diva and is as reliable as the day is long. He may not come with the flicks and tricks and a mouthy presence but he's still a class act for aw that.

Back