Nir Bitton

It is a rare quality these days to have the skills of Broony along with his physical & mental toughness. Usually today's "hard men" are thugs who can't read or play the game to a very high standard.

Our on-the-pitch leader doesn't necessarily have to be our holding midfielder. It is often centre halves who perform this role.

I don't want to retire Broony early but would prefer getting in his long-term replacement as soon as possible. This is so he learns our system with Broony as a mentor, understands fully what playing for the Hoops means and allows Scott some rest time during the season. This will lessen the impact on us when Broony does retire but may also lengthen his playing career by maybe another season if he isn't playing too many two-games-per-week matches.

I too can see Christie dropping back into this role as he slows down but not for a few years yet, as he is so dangerous further up the field.
That's far too sensible, BB

Sorry Docco. To play him as a holding midfielder would be wasting 50% of his capability. Broonie was never known for his silky skills. His main game is to break up play, win the ball and give it to someone who can actually do something with it.... the likes of Christie. I don't want to get into an argument just think it would be a complete waste of the skills of a player like Christie.... similar to McGregor at LB as I said.

Last edited:
Sorry Docco. To play him as a holding midfielder would be wasting 50% of his capability. Broonie was never known for his silky skills. His main game is to break up play, win the ball and give it to someone who can actually do something with it.... the likes of Christie. I don't want to get into an argument just think it would be a complete waste of the skills of a player like Christie.... similar to McGregor at LB as I said.
I agree with this assessment
HH

Just to say I am a fan of Broonie's for years.

Back