No catholics need apply

What you got to understand that the six countys were by and large totally ignored by Westminster. As you guys already knew. this was Britain's deep South America totally set up for one set of people to subugae the other...thru corrupt political means...supported by the British Government. And the tragedy that insued could have so easily been avoided. Lesson learned NEVER TRUST THE BRITS

Great wee film. Thanks for putting that up. My aunty Clare came from the Bogside and had many a tale to tell of life as a Catholic in Derry. It was an unashamed version of apartheid in every sense and allowed to be so by Westminster.

The siege mentality of unionists is and always will be the major stumbling block to real peace and reconciliation. I have no doubt, sadly, but that come the day the nationalist community are in a majority and vote for a united Ireland, civil war won’t be far behind.

I’m not even sure the south wants that day to come, because it will put it in a very precarious situation. I just can’t see a peaceful transition but I hope I’m wrong.

No matter how, or if, a United Ireland comes about it will have to have British input. As you say though, there will be trouble of some sort.

Some Unionists - well, just people of a loyalist background - are coming to a realisation that they too may see the benefits.

The question will be what way they would vote when push comes to shove?

Does the South want us? I'd suggest the average person in the street, in Dublin, couldn't give a toss. In the same way people in London genuinely have no interest in NI. If they had, in the past, I doubt the troubles would have started.

The older I get the more I'm coming to the decision that Michael Collins was wrong to accept the breaking up of our country. Instead of forcing Irishmen to fight Irishmen the struggle against British rule should have continued at that time.

Easy to say in hindsight and I'm open to debate in the hope of coming to a decision that will settle my own mind.

Back to religion, Protestantism by it's very nature is built on bigotry and hatred. Those are traits that need stopping at birth but too many pass on that supremacy mindset and make logic a non-starter.

The good thing about the DUP in power, on a national scale, is that everyone now knows what we have had to put up with for years.

There are despised, especially by the young, countrywide now!

They hold a balance of power. Conservative/Unionist alliances have never ended well, this one will be similar, I feel.

May will end up getting her 'deal' passed with Labour/other MP's - well, that's not 100% assured, of course.

No Deal is not going to happen and may well bring down this government.

The DUP are a pawn, I don't believe they hold any power of note.

The thing is too, the cultural protestant denomination in the Rep is fully integrated. No one particularly even notices the difference. A buddy of mine only first encountered bigotry when he moved to Scotland - even though his best mate was Church of Ireland. It's disappointing that a minority group of thick sectarian f@ckwits exercise so more power and control. If anything the Rep is an example of successful integration be it religion, gender, ethnicity or culture. It's one of the most progressive countries in Europe. Dublin itself has a real European feel about it these days. The sooner these bitter twisted stuck in the 17th century morons shed their mortal coil and their numbers dwindle sufficiently to allow a younger more enlightened generation to apply commonsense the better.

lmoved to the republic in 1994,stayed for 13 years (before returning to the elephants graveyard-Scotland) In Leitrim I was credited for them winning their 1st Connaught championship in about 40 years,in Roscommon I was credited with bringing the celtic tiger! 13 years,what a feckin party that was!! republic of Ireland, a country for all, HH!!

One of the big questions!
Certainly from his own writing it's clear Collins considered the 1916 and onwards armed revolt the Irish peoples last chance before all their soul was gone.
From what I have read and understood of Collins he was a pragmatist and looked how to fight a war to win it, no matter how long it took.
He understood how their system worked and what it relied upon. He worked in the Post Offices in London and saw how that clicked. Collins accepted the reality that there was no point in a battlefield confrontation against overwhelming odds for example, unlike Dev and some of his silly ideas on standards of battle! As if the British army or any other ever rigidly stuck to mythical
honourable standards in a battle.
As far as I can see Collins had no intention of leaving the status quo of the 6 counties alone.
Collins was talking peace with Churchill while preparing to stab them in the back so to speak from within, as Collins had learned the best way to defeat them was from within, and using their own double standards until you got what you wanted.
Pointless having principles and ideals if you are never going to get power, as the likes of many a politician better than the likes of Blair discovered to their detriment.
We know that Collins was sending arms and men North on the quiet right up to the time of his death.
He was using their very own double standard tactics!

I personally believe the British crown state security were behind his death because they realized how big a threat he was, don't buy all the many other supposed theories.
For certain the civil war they were encouraging and all out civil war was a blessing for the british crown, who let's not forget were the real reason for war, their oath the Irish were forced to take at the point of a threatened all out war.

Unfortunately his name was hijacked by a party of lacky landowners, who were the epitome of the warning Connolly gave before 1916.
Hard to know whether any written history is reflective of the reality and because people just love quotes they are even more liable to be invented.
But from accounts that are fairly credible, Collins said he would have followed the Edinburgh Irishman James Connolly Into hell, if so! then there is the Collins real core.

JM,

What a brilliant post, mate! Cheers!

This may sound incredibly 'thick' but I've only just realised how little I know about 'Big Mick', how little I've actually read about him.

I think there is a modern day perception of him based on the film (Liam Neeson). It's possibly my favourite film of all time. It captures the whole time in a sort of 'magical' way (apologies, getting a bit carried away!).

*NI just gone 1-0 down which is feckin' great - should have been 2 (offside)

I have been trying to figure oot the Irish border issue regarding Brexit.
The six counties have an open border with ROI as does the rest of the EU. When Brexit happens border controls will come into force for UK goods and citizens with the rest of the EU. This is where the DUP come into play. Many firms and farms have business interests in ROI. Border controls means bureaucracy and import/export costs for many northern firms. They say they want their border with an EU state (ROI) to stay open but for that state only. The EU are saying if ye want no border controls with ROI,then the whole of the island of Ireland can have that but there would then need to be border controls between the island of Ireland (ROI and NI) and the rest of the U.K. The DUP stance is we will not tolerate border controls between NI and ROI, and neither do we want border controls between our statelette of NI and the rump UK. Seems to me they want all the benefits of a United Ireland, economically, culturally but not politically. They want to have their cake and eat it all themselves.
If am wrong on what I think, I will take no offence if anyone wants to put me right on things.
Seems the DUP are holding Europe hostage, give us what we want or we will wreck Brexit and bring down UK Goverment seems to be their stance.
How did these bigoted homophobes get this kind of power. There are ten DUP MPs at Westminster. Theresa May cannot pass any legislation without the support of these DUP MPs. She needs those 10 votes for any majority.
Remember, if any of what I said is incorrect please enlighten me because I really do want to understand what's going on.
Hail Hail, bring on the Hibees
Ricardo

Last edited:
reckon ye summed it up perfectly richybhoy. the one wee fly in the ointment is the English,who don't give a phuq about Scotland.ireland, north and south, oh, and wales,what England wants England gets,the union means phuq all to them,the only people who care about the union are the 1690ers!!! Hail Hail

reckon ye summed it up perfectly richybhoy. the one wee fly in the ointment is the English,who don't give a phuq about Scotland.ireland, north and south, oh, and wales,what England wants England gets,the union means phuq all to them,the only people who care about the union are the 1690ers!!! Hail Hail
I would not know whether to laugh, cry or pish mysell if the DUP brought doon the Tories and then Corbyn gets elected. I don't see a Corbyn government being overly friendly to the bigoted DUP. We live in interesting times. My biggest fear is a reverse immigration of Ulster Scots if they do not get their own way. The higher Catholic birth rate in the six counties means demographics will be the end of their, Protestant State for a Protestant People, as it founder described it. In the not too distant future.
Hail Hail
Rich

Last edited:
I know this in summary from reading his ideas and of those close.
He thought that the industrial revolution and the registering for resourcing of the people along with the famine-by-design, had done more actual damage to the native Irish people than Cromwell and Elizabethan genocide and 98 redcoat had managed to combined.
He feared along with others who were natives of rich culture but comparative little means and certainly not middle or upper class dreamers or romanticists, that the soul and spirit of the Irish was being put out and may be lost forever, that they had enslaved themselves and done the work more better and in quicker time of those who wanted to eradicate the native habits and customs and language since the Poynings laws or even earlier effectively Norman French anti Irish statues of Kilkenny.

The rising could be the last chance, what happened after was perhaps not as important, as the Phoenix would have risen from the ashes and a distinct Irish people if only in mindset would be real again.
And in reality is not any nation and a nationality a thing first and foremost of the mind, whether decided by own thought or acquired by inherited family stories.

Thanks again, JM.

Good to have a starting point and I'll certainly make use of the family website.

Have a burning desire to go to Beal ma mBlath.

Only time I was ever in Cork was to see Michael Jackson who was a dot on the stage ... Kim Wilde opened it up and made the fatal mistake of saying it was great to be 'back in Britain'. Didn't go down well!!!

Is there a case to be made for SF to end abstentionism? They could cross their fingers and take the oath. The future of all of Ireland is at stake as well as that of GB. Even if they only vote on Brexit issues. You could argue the anti Brexit majority in the north has no voice in parliament. Just asking the question to those in the know before I get my online c#nt kicked in.

Is there a case to be made for SF to end abstentionism? They could cross their fingers and take the oath. The future of all of Ireland is at stake as well as that of GB. Even if they only vote on Brexit issues. You could argue the anti Brexit majority in the north has no voice in parliament. Just asking the question to those in the know before I get my online c#nt kicked in.

Sinn Fein are absolutely loving this, Noah!

They have made it clear that they do not want another vote on the final outcome - you can rest assured they would be screaming from the rooftops if they did not feel all of this was against the promotion of a United Ireland.

GB/NI committing economic suicide is a plan that Baldrick would not have condoned.

So, no. There may come a time in the future but I can't see it ever happening, tbh.

At the moment, they are playing an absolute blinder as it is often said that you should never interrupt your enemy when they making a monumental cock- up.

Their relative silence is a sure sign that they are enjoying every minute of this debacle.

Back