No marquee signings

If you read what BR said, yes, he said no 'marquee signings', but that simply means a signing that's silly money. Both in terms of fee and wages. I'm glad we're not going down that route, as it opens up a whole can of financial worms. However, in the interview, Brendan did go on to say that he intends to continue to strengthen in January in the necessary positions along the lines of the board's financial model for transfers. I don't care what anyone says: Sevco signing Defoe and Davis or not, we've got more than enough at our club to win the triple treble this season. I'm more than sure we'll win the league, triple treble will be very hard, but we've got the players and the manager necessary to take it. It's ours to lose. I don't think there's a chance in hell that we'll lose 8.

I can't believe I'm reading people saying Brendan should leave this summer. That would be catastrophic. Some of his signings have been pish, yes, but he's still one of the best coaches in Europe. Even Slippy said that about him. He's a huge asset to our football club. And I think he's a man of his word. Brendan Rodgers is here for 10 in a row.

You misunderstand me. They were brilliant.

My point was they arrived off-form (which is why we could afford them): Sutton scored one goal all season for Ch*lsea, Hartson was unfit (need I mention the medical he failed?) and Thompson couldn't get into the Aston Villa team.

Not to mention how much fitba has changed so much now. Chris Sutton these days, at the age he was when we signed him, would be about £30-40 million. Hartson would be something similar. Thompson would be at least £15 million. We're not going to get those kind of players. Not unless they're 36-year-old and well over the hill and looking for a loan move because they can't get into mid-table English Premier League teams.

We have to live with the new reality of finding Dembeles, Edouards and, god willing, Bayos and Weahs, while taking opportunities with players of great talent like Oliver Burke. Not to mention the amazing youth players we've produced and seem to be continuing to produce. Callum McGregor, in my eyes, would walk into any midfield in the English Premier League. He's a better player than your Barklays and what not. If Callum McGregor came through at Everton or West Ham, he'd be worth £50 million. And then there's Tierney - a genuine phenomenon on the field and an exceptional young man off it too. You can't put a price on that. But nope, we're not going to be signing big name players, save outside quite exceptional circumstances, anymore. The market just doesn't allow it.

You misunderstand me. They were brilliant.

My point was they arrived off-form (which is why we could afford them): Sutton scored one goal all season for Ch*lsea, Hartson was unfit (need I mention the medical he failed?) and Thompson couldn't get into the Aston Villa team.
I never misunderstood you,you says marquee signings never worked for us but like I says Sutton,Hartson and Thompson were marquee signings that worked.HH

If you read what BR said, yes, he said no 'marquee signings', but that simply means a signing that's silly money. Both in terms of fee and wages. I'm glad we're not going down that route, as it opens up a whole can of financial worms. However, in the interview, Brendan did go on to say that he intends to continue to strengthen in January in the necessary positions along the lines of the board's financial model for transfers. I don't care what anyone says: Sevco signing Defoe and Davis or not, we've got more than enough at our club to win the triple treble this season. I'm more than sure we'll win the league, triple treble will be very hard, but we've got the players and the manager necessary to take it. It's ours to lose. I don't think there's a chance in hell that we'll lose 8.

I can't believe I'm reading people saying Brendan should leave this summer. That would be catastrophic. Some of his signings have been pish, yes, but he's still one of the best coaches in Europe. Even Slippy said that about him. He's a huge asset to our football club. And I think he's a man of his word. Brendan Rodgers is here for 10 in a row.

?????????

With the comments from Rogers it seems our biggest outlay will be £2.3m for Lawells bonus for his part in our disastrous summer that cost us £60m.

Sums us up to a tee, All the speculation of a good defender died on its arse. Loans and projects, but as long as Lawell gets his we carry on on a downward trajectory. Shameful he could even consider taking more money than we paid for Bayo.

Can’t afford the players we need, but we can give him an obscene amount for making us worse and vulnerable,

You really couldn’t make it up, unless you’re a Celtic fan. It’s the way we roll.

If snybody even tries to defend him taking that money when we can’t apparently afford a defence then please have a word with yourself,

Winning the league and qualifying for the CL is paramount because if we don’t our operating costs are not sustainable and we will crash. No doubt even if the worst happens Lawell will get another bonus. Not bad writing your own contract is it?

Shameful.

I never misunderstood you,you says marquee signings never worked for us but like I says Sutton,Hartson and Thompson were marquee signings that worked.HH

When those players arrived, a lot of supporters had serious reservations. Of course, the signings worked out brilliantly for us but my point remains that we rarely, if ever, sign big name players who are, at that point, on form.

With the comments from Rogers it seems our biggest outlay will be £2.3m for Lawells bonus for his part in our disastrous summer that cost us £60m.

If anybody even tries to defend (Lawwell) taking that money when we can’t apparently afford a defence then please have a word with yourself,

Shameful.

Indeed, he has played the club like a fiddle.

Sums us up to a tee, All the speculation of a good defender died on its arse. Loans and projects, but as long as Lawell gets his we carry on on a downward trajectory. Shameful he could even consider taking more money than we paid for Bayo.

Can’t afford the players we need, but we can give him an obscene amount for making us worse and vulnerable,

You really couldn’t make it up, unless you’re a Celtic fan. It’s the way we roll.

If snybody even tries to defend him taking that money when we can’t apparently afford a defence then please have a word with yourself,

Winning the league and qualifying for the CL is paramount because if we don’t our operating costs are not sustainable and we will crash. No doubt even if the worst happens Lawell will get another bonus. Not bad writing your own contract is it?

Shameful.

You are consistently banging the same drum. It's as bad as a lambeg outside the Chapel imo.

It really does seriously look like you are on a mission.

You consistently...and I mean consistently....steer the narrative back to the same things.

It's bordering on the obsessive and it's negative in the extreme.

Why do you consistently do that? Do you think we're all thick and can't see what's going on?

It's boringly repetitive and I'm sure the majority of us got it the 1,001 time.

Not many of us I'd bet are happy with the bonus paid to Peter Lawwell but it is what it is. We may not like it but something tells me he's very good at some things, if not all.

The business model Celtic follows...very well may be flawed to you....that being the case...why don't you start a topic on what you think is right about it, if any...and what you think is wrong...and how it can be done better?

Then we can all join in and see where it goes. That could positive, right?

Alternatively, write a scathing letter to the Celtic Board and share with us all whatever response you get. Then we can all either agree or disagree to what's been said. That could be positive, right?

And the Celtic manager is called Brendan 'Rodgers' how you can consistently get his name wrong is a bit of a worry.

Level with us...why are you consistently obsessing over the same things?

Last edited:

You are consistently banging the same drum. It's as bad as a lambeg outside the Chapel imo.

You consistently...and I mean consistently....steer the narrative back to the same things.

Why do you consistently do that? Do you think we're all thick and can't see what's going on?

Not many of us I'd bet are happy with the bonus paid to Peter Lawwell but it is what it is. We may not like it but something tells me he's very good at some things, if not all.

The business model Celtic follows...very well may be flawed to you....that being the case...why don't you start a topic on what you think is right about it, if any...and what you think is wrong...and how it can be done better?

Alternatively, write a scathing letter to the Celtic Board and share with us all whatever response you get. Then we can all either agree or disagree to what's been said. That could be positive, right?

And the Celtic manager is called Brendan 'Rodgers' how you can consistently get his name wrong is a bit of a worry.

For the simple reason we never seem to learn that doing little causes us problems. When the board change their tune, I will backflip to change mine. I am still hoping we bring in a fb and RB and some of the players mentioned looked great, but are in the £4m bracket which Rigers said is not going to happen. That makes us vulnerable. If you can’t or worse won’t see that, then I will ask you, where do you get your blind faith from? Do you not think we fucked ourselves up by doing the same as we always do? Do you not think we should havecquakifued for the CL with a bit of quality bought?

Well, I do. And to see the comments that we won’t spend again is not something I think will work out well.

There is still time in this window but we all know our defence needs help, and quality costs unless we unearth gems. I have high hopes for both of the American lads but to expect them to step up and do the business maybe asking too much.

It looks like that may be our only option because the players touted cost money,

I don’t know what age you are, but doing fuck all from a position of strength has always been a fixture. You may be happy with that, a lot of us aren’t.

We have gone from a team that had aspirations of being a CL team to one that couldn’t get past a utter shit AEK team because we didn’t sort out the defence. If we repeat that again then 8iar is under more pressure than it should be. Again if you want to happy clap that scenario crack on.

Ambition is missing. I find that disheartening.

So £2m for players.
Perhaps £2m...perhaps more to date. Undisclosed fee with not even half the transfer widow gone. Why jump in now without waiting for the window to close?

£2.3m for Peter Lawwell's bonus.
Too much imo

£4m for disco lights.
£2m actually.

£??m for a hotel.
Why mention unknown amounts of money that may or may not be spent?

OUR PRIORITIES SHOULD BE ON THE PARK, NOT OFF IT.
Which brings us no doubt back to Peter Lawwell. Right?

?????????
A m

A marquee signing doesn’t necessarily mean signing someone for silly money.If we had got Piccinni in the summer it would’nt have been silly money but would have been a marquee signing for us.While I’m still confident we’ll win the league there is a chance we could lose it and purely on our away form and I don’t think it’s on ability I think a lot of it this season has been mental strength like not doing the basics right.HH

Level? You clever cookie answering your own question ?

For the simple reason we never seem to learn that doing little causes us problems. When the board change their tune, I will backflip to change mine. I am still hoping we bring in a fb and RB and some of the players mentioned looked great, but are in the £4m bracket which Rigers said is not going to happen. That makes us vulnerable. If you can’t or worse won’t see that, then I will ask you, where do you get your blind faith from? Do you not think we fucked ourselves up by doing the same as we always do? Do you not think we should havecquakifued for the CL with a bit of quality bought?

Well, I do. And to see the comments that we won’t spend again is not something I think will work out well.

There is still time in this window but we all know our defence needs help, and quality costs unless we unearth gems. I have high hopes for both of the American lads but to expect them to step up and do the business maybe asking too much.

It looks like that may be our only option because the players touted cost money,

I don’t know what age you are, but doing fuck all from a position of strength has always been a fixture. You may be happy with that, a lot of us aren’t.

We have gone from a team that had aspirations of being a CL team to one that couldn’t get past a utter shit AEK team because we didn’t sort out the defence. If we repeat that again then 8iar is under more pressure than it should be. Again if you want to happy clap that scenario crack on.

RODGERS. NOT ROGERS. NOT RIGERS

RODGERS

Don't get some Celtic fans at times. Club is in a stronger position finacaliy than at any time in it's history, biggest sponsorship in Scottish football history (thanks peter) and what do you hear no big dosh spent on has beens! Fuckin get real man! This club is built on a business model that is sustainable.without Europe when will people start to realise this. Buy low devolpe sell high! Foster, hopper, wanyama, Ki, Armstrong, van diyk,Dembele, ..thats what we have to do to and still be top dogs. HH
It was Brendan Rodgers who says no big marquee signings.Big dosh doesn’t need to be spent on a has been,we spent a few quid on French eddy.The club maybe built on a business model that is sustainable without Europe but without Europe we get a lesser quality of player,we don’t have the carrot to dangle for decent young players like Dembele and as well fans get bored without the attraction of competing against quality sides.I didn’t expect big money to spent in this window and some people are small minded and that’s fair enough but from time to time we need to speculate to accumulate to keep the fans turning up as well as keeping us attractive.HH

The easiest thing in the world to do is to to criticise..and to criticise without a valid counter argument is totally unhelpful and negative in the extreme.

Peter Lawwell and his bonus is a no brainer.....excessive imo but like I said previously...the Board obviously think he's worth that much....many of us think it's excessive...we can't change it and if things go pear shaped the Support will certainly show their displeasure in a variety of ways...of that I am certain.

As for players needed...first let's wait and see how we end up at the close of the window...I've seen the argument for buying players in the £5m+ range...seriously what guarantees are there buying players in this price range will be guaranteed to work out in this highly inflated market...and to push the boat out for the recognised finished article would cost plenty in the current market...with an expected wage that would most probably destabilise our current wage structure which would be catastrophic.

Our current business model in buying projects who will come good is not without risk as we can currently see....it needs to be fine tuned in my view and we need to be more discerning in who we buy and what markets we buy from... this is an area we simply have to do better as we are top heavy in the extreme and it's sucking too much money out the Club on a weekly basis as a consequence....it's quality and not quantity we need to strive for...but until players contracts run out or we somehow move them on we are stuck with the status quo.

As for buying for this years Champions League games I think we had a few things going on behind the scenes that didn't do us any good...well documented mistakes were made and are hopefully not to be repeated.

It's apparent to me one of the biggest bug bears is Peter Lawwell's bonus...and it is being used incessantly by the forces of darkness in the SMSM who are doing their upmost to fracture the Support...and you are consistently preaching the same message as they are which I find disturbing...as it is clearly playing in to the hands of those who are doing their best to cause us unrest...if you don't see that then you have blinkers on....if you do see it and continue on your current path then I have to ask the question. Why?

Why would you continue to promote unrest? I've spelled it out for you.

Have a go once or twice, that's fine....start a thread and let us all have our say, that's fine.

To continue to steer the narrative consistently down the same divisive path is destructive and reeks of a man on a mission.

What's your mission?

A m

A marquee signing doesn’t necessarily mean signing someone for silly money.If we had got Piccinni in the summer it would’nt have been silly money but would have been a marquee signing for us.While I’m still confident we’ll win the league there is a chance we could lose it and purely on our away form and I don’t think it’s on ability I think a lot of it this season has been mental strength like not doing the basics right.HH

Who would you suggest and how much will it take to purchase, wages etc?

I think a lot of trouble stems from the rich clubs signing every bit of upcoming talent paying crazy money to get them.

They do so with a view to get someone else to develop them futher so they can sell on for profit.

Who can compete ?

TF that is going to be capped next yesr.

It is stifling the game and the movement of players.

HH ☘️

Who would you suggest and how much will it take to purchase, wages etc?

I think a lot of trouble stems from the rich clubs signing every bit of upcoming talent paying crazy money to get them.

They do so with a view to get someone else to develop them futher so they can sell on for profit.

Who can compete ?

TF that is going to be capped next yesr.

It is stifling the game and the movement of players.

HH ☘️
On your first point,well we have scouts and a network set up to find players.If I had time and was paid i’d be able to come up with potential targets just like any of us could.I totally agree with everything else you say,who can compete? I says a while back when Roy Keane got made up to 50 grande a week at Man U that the wages in football should be capped at that because that was ridiculous then and look what’s going on now.We’re not to bad at our club,but our players are handsomely paid but in England it would be hard to support your team after working and possibly struggling all week and paying big money for season tickets to see your favourite players picking up over 100 grande a week.HH

The easiest thing in the world to do is to to criticise..and to criticise without a valid counter argument is totally unhelpful and negative in the extreme.

Peter Lawwell and his bonus is a no brainer.....excessive imo but like I said previously...the Board obviously think he's worth that much....many of us think it's excessive...we can't change it and if things go pear shaped the Support will certainly show their displeasure in a variety of ways...of that I am certain.

As for players needed...first let's wait and see how we end up at the close of the window...I've seen the argument for buying players in the £5m+ range...seriously what guarantees are there buying players in this price range will be guaranteed to work out in this highly inflated market...and to push the boat out for the recognised finished article would cost plenty in the current market...with an expected wage that would most probably destabilise our current wage structure which would be catastrophic.

Our current business model in buying projects who will come good is not without risk as we can currently see....it needs to be fine tuned in my view and we need to be more discerning in who we buy and what markets we buy from... this is an area we simply have to do better as we are top heavy in the extreme and it's sucking too much money out the Club on a weekly basis as a consequence....it's quality and not quantity we need to strive for...but until players contracts run out or we somehow move them on we are stuck with the status quo.

As for buying for this years Champions League games I think we had a few things going on behind the scenes that didn't do us any good...well documented mistakes were made and are hopefully not to be repeated.

It's apparent to me one of the biggest bug bears is Peter Lawwell's bonus...and it is being used incessantly by the forces of darkness in the SMSM who are doing their upmost to fracture the Support...and you are consistently preaching the same message as they are which I find disturbing...as it is clearly playing in to the hands of those who are doing their best to cause us unrest...if you don't see that then you have blinkers on....if you do see it and continue on your current path then I have to ask the question. Why?

Why would you continue to promote unrest? I've spelled it out for you.

Have a go once or twice, that's fine....start a thread and let us all have our say, that's fine.

To continue to steer the narrative consistently down the same divisive path is destructive and reeks of a man on a mission.

What's your mission?

Obviously an impossible one. So because the press talk about Lawells bonus we can’t? Is that what you’re saying. £2.3m for this year when we failed to reach the CL and have lost most of our away games? How can that ever be justified?

I see them posingg a threat to our 10iar if not checked. I did propose a possible solution if the fuck up made in the Summer has reduced our ability to buy. Get Dermot to finance a short term loan that would get the players we need to win the treble and qualify for the CL. We need that CL money or our operating costs will do us in. If we do nothing and lose the league to save say £20m but cost us 10iar and £69m CL money do you think that’s a good strategy?

You’re happy, big deal. You defend Lawells bonus, fine. You are not the arbitrar of what is best regardless if you think you are. We need to invest. If we don’t have the cash now, borrow it and securing CL money will fund it. Or, don’t and perhaps fail and the cost will be far higher than £20m loan from our largest shareholder. To do nothing but hope, has been our plan for too many years. I don’t agree with that, you do.

I think your position is ridiculous as you find mine. What’s your mission to be happy standing still or worse going backward? For we have gone backward. Or would you deny that too?

Well BR announces there won’t be any marquee signings in this window,we probably already knew that but still disappointing to hear.He says,I don’t think that’s how the club works “The model of the club is value and maximising that value and talent and development and seeing it grow at the club.In this day and age with the level Scottish footballs at that’s fair enough but it sounds like we’re not going to move any further forward.A big concern here is that the managers signings so far haven’t been what we’d hoped for and if this is the clubs ambition then BR will probably consider his future.I’m not expecting £10 million pound signings but if we keep going down this road then the current squad gets less and less experience which is never good.We still need quality with a proven track record at a decent level if not we’re asking for trouble.I also feel that a club of our size should be signing at least one £5/6 million pound player a season.HH
We have been told that the club's business model is to buy young and sell for a profit. Where is the profit going? Not on the playing staff at any rate. Who benefits from the profits generated by the club?? IMO the profits are used to generate more revenue streams ie Hotels etc...
Is this the future of our club?? To make the rich richer?? Over to you Brother Walfrid.

Members online

Latest posts

Back