Not just a scarf ...

I was zooming through Twitter when I happened upon this short animation ...

That scarf gives you membership to one of the greatest societies on Earth.

It gives you a sense of belonging and a nod and a 'Hail Hail' from fellow pilgrims who seconds before were strangers.

It even becomes a conversation starter with foreign friends from far-off lands who will invariably point and say "Celteek?"

Nowadays, the bairns get the junior kit, babygrows and various other Celtic-related paraphernalia, but there is something very special about that first scarf, especially when you take it to your first game, hold it above your head, tight, taut and proud before christening it with it's first YNWA.

Then it feels like it truly belongs among the other scarves and I guarantee it'll be more than just a piece of knitted fabric. It will wind up in a frame, or kept someplace special (unless we get humped in that first game and you swear it's jinxed and it gets condemned to the back of the cupboard when the new one gets delivered).

Got my first bought scarf on Xmas day 1967. A green tailored number with thin gold and white stripes but most importantly a big European Cup with " Celtic European Champions 1967" around it. Lost it on the terraces of Rugby Park sometime in the '70's. 😭

Ma maw knitted my first scarf also one for my brother had knitted the word Celtic through mine and my brothers had european champions 67 on his ,in they days merchandise wasn't on sale at every corner you could get a big rosette the size of a satalite dish not so many scarfs

walking along the old train embakment that ran outside celtic park some cnt swiped my brothers scarf and bolted , he never got over the loss he spent more time scanning the crowds at the games to see what cnt had his scarf 😆 😆

Got my first bought scarf on Xmas day 1967. A green tailored number with thin gold and white stripes but most importantly a big European Cup with " Celtic European Champions 1967" around it. Lost it on the terraces of Rugby Park sometime in the '70's. 😭
Think that was the same one I had
Later on, I got a hooped, woolen one which a nice bunch of Red, white & blue clad Peepo, tried to strangle me with, as I walked down London Road after a game
They had lost elsewhere and we had beaten someone 1-0, with a last minute goal at home
The mutant miscreants, jumped off a bus and put one of my mates through a plate glass window, booted another one in his Henry's and grabbed me by the scarf and skelped & throttled me, before throwing me, into the path of the bus, thankfully the driver hit the brakes
I stopped wearing scarves after that ;-)
Some cracking scarves through the years though
HH

Members online

Latest posts

Back