Oliver Burke.

Might be better off way Oliver Twist. If any of us had, say 20 million, with his track record, how many of us would feel confident handing it over to Rodgers?

Hard to predict how he will settle in,see him as good addition to squad as for his price and return to WBA, I think that's thier stance on not for sale but they will sell if need be but don't want to lower the price, since he joined them there have been many changes in there set up and as each manager sets his team as he see,s it and Burke has never had a decent run ,hope he gets a chance here as I think he has loads of potential

Down to him to prove he can do it on a regular basis but can't say I am excited about this or any of the other names we are being liked with

Not sure. Not seen enough of him. Disappointed at another loan deal but understand that our signing policy won't allow us to sign a £15 million rated player. Hopefully works out well for us.

With loan signings its like you say lubo we get quality we could not otherwise get.

Don’t forget anything happens to a loanee its the parent clubs outlook/loss

Loan deals are great for that.

Also it could be viewed the same as endowment mortgage. Money at end secures asset to sell on

V interest only mortgage pay smaller amount with no asset to sell.

If injury occurs that is bad the value of a player depreciates in an instant.

Parent club takes the risk.

HH ☘️

The guy is signed for the 6 months as we know some can flounder whilst others flourish up here.

Lets judge him once he’s had a chance and get behind him a player happy to come to our glorious Celtic, in the meantime.

Welcome Oliver. HH ☘️

One thing you have to ask yourself is, who is going to be dropped to play him? JF? I dont think so. CMcG? Definitely not. Is there a surprise departure in the offing? I certainly hope not.

Could literally just be back up to JF, give him a rest at times - especially if it’s short term.

It's a sorry situation where if he's garbage for us then WBA will consider selling him to us, but we won't him. And if he's a revelation then we have no chance of signing him.

Only other way I can see it is they’re looking for a club he’ll develop at. They don’t rate him highly enough at the moment hit see him as potential. He comes here and does well until the end of the season they may be happy to loan him for another one, hoping he’ll reach that potential and come back.

Could literally just be back up to JF, give him a rest at times - especially if it’s short term.
That could be the case but West Brom must have wanted assurances he would get some first team action or why let him go. JF has been scoring this season so that makes it even stranger? Puzzled.com

G67 how does signing a player for cover for 6 months relate to the manager leaving in the summer, with that thought process if we spend a few million on a player then the manager is here for the long haul, I don't think it works like that surely a managers term is dictated by results if they are bad he gets the sack and if they are good its an extended contract or a bigger club offers him a position. Welcome all our signings and enjoy their contribution to the cause, welcome to Celtic Ollie Burke.

If the manager was here for the long term then we wouldn’t be filling the team with short term loan deals (Burke, Benkovic, possibly Weah) and players coming in who the manager knows nothing about (Arzani). A successful manager who is in it for the long haul would expect to be backed in the transfer market and not see several targets who he thought were done deals go elsewhere. Minimal spend, short term loans = transfer budget for new manager

Oil Burke is a good player who with the right manager and team could become a great player. Had we signed him on a permanent deal, or a loan with option to buy, then he’d be a fantastic signing. A 6 month loan deal, in addition to Tim Weah if he signs, is short term thinking, and indicates to me that the manager has had enough and is off in the summer (hopefully with the league in the bag).

There is a top player in him, no doubt, he just needs to prove it for what ever he wants to do next.

While your conclusions make sense and can add up, I hope that another theory which adds up is what is happening.
We know that BR likes his projects, stars he moulded from no where, and he now sees this Ivorian Kid as one he is going to make the next Sterling!
But at the same time he knows that he/Celtic have not proven their last project next world super star buy, Kouassi!, and so sees Weah and Burke as win /win type of cover as they mould the Ivorian and possible other projects into stars.

The Ivorian kid I don't see at all, looks like another Kouassi, powerful but raw.
Having said that Kouassi has shown glimpses that he has it and has possibly been a little unlucky with injuries, so maybe!

The hope is based on wanting BR to stay despite his imperfections, such as speaking to the press too much, too much on about what wages are available elsewhere and despite the frustrating predictable risky have to pass out of defence dictates at the back.

Certainly in 2019 and especially in Scotland, buying short term loans are not a definitive indication of what any manager or club intends to be in 6 months or 6 years, it is a reality.
That or buy proven past sell by on ridiculous wages who will for almost certain only encourage the diva day dreamer not proven players to be unsettled having to get by on their 'only several thousand a week'!

Nothing is as simple as this = this! in Scotland in 2019
sadly reality in this generation is that the SPFL is a small league by European standards let alone world, Celtic are the only thing of it that make people think otherwise.

Last edited:
Might be better off way Oliver Twist. If any of us had, say 20 million, with his track record, how many of us would feel confident handing it over to Rodgers?

I wouldn’t. It’s a real worry, 80% of his signings wouldn’t get a game in a 10/21er doon the school.

We have Congerton who couldn’t find a needle in a stack of needles backing him up.

And Lawell, a ‘football manager’ gamer, who thinks he knows a player since his team beat Bayern online.

Looking at our early foray’s into the getting laughed out the room negotiations, a feeling of utter dread stands in the room like an enemy.

Hopefully Rogers gets his act together.

He clearly has the potential to be a cracking player. I'd love to know what Brendan is thinking - assuming this move was his idea - will he play young Oli Bhoy on the left and tell Sinclair to shape up? (Paddy was pretty efficient playing on the "wrong" side.) If he's to compete with Jamesy, one of our most efficient players, then that's pointless.

I think Oli is there to give Sinclair a kick up the backside. Sinny needs to be pushed harder. The lack of options in that area means he's first pick regardless of his previous performances. BR is a fan favourite of Sinny but I am certainly not..far too unreliable.

I think Oli is there to give Sinclair a kick up the backside. Sinny needs to be pushed harder. The lack of options in that area means he's first pick regardless of his previous performances. BR is a fan favourite of Sinny but I am certainly not..far too unreliable.

That’s how I’m taking it. Here to provide extra cover and give a kick to SS to find some form / give JF a break from time to time.

However, that said, I agree with the supporters making the point that we have other positions requiring more urgent attention.

Back