On the One Road to Celtic’s First 9IAR, Part 1 – The Supporters Bus

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
On the One Road to Celtic’s First 9IAR, Part 1 – The Supporters Bus - a series this week from Mike Maher, unmissable...

Part 2
Tomorrow...

On the One Road to Celtic’s First 9IAR, Part 1 – The Supporters Bus - a series this week from Mike Maher, unmissable...

Part 2
Tomorrow...
Brilliant memories Mike,i could'nt afford to go to away games, but got lifted 'ower' many a time at paradise,for want of a better word,we were gash before big Jock( sorry Jimmy McGrory,legend as a player,but 'mince'as a manager,ye listenin stevie!)but then it was eye opening time, ma beloved Hoops(Argghh who could forget that white top,wi the green sleeves!) were winning and , winning in style! the first time ah paid to get into a game, was 1968,when i got my first wage! official attendance was approx 20,000, strange since we were all packed in like sardines! go sir Boab! 🍺 🥳

I had to laugh at Mike's trip to Tannadice for the first game of the 1st 9 in a row.
Mine was a bit different. I was 11 yrs old. My dad had attended a meeting and been elected bus convenor of the new Dalkeith and District CSC. As we walked down the road we saw the bus leaving without us.
We took a service bus to Edinburgh and investigated getting a train but we couldn't get there in time. At the bus station we were told that there were no direct buses to Dundee. We took a bus to Dunfermline. Then a bus to Kelty. Then a bus to Perth where we caught the bus to Dundee. Finally we got a corpy bus to Tannadice arriving at HT. When the gates were opened with 20 mins to go we got in to a packed ground. I saw the ball twice when it was punted up in the air. Unhappily we made our way down Dens Road where we passed a busker. I asked my dad why he was laughing. The tune being played was "The Road and the Miles to Dundee."
It was dark when we made it home. The bus never left without us again and we made good use of it on the last day of that season when Bobby Lennox 's late goal past an inspired Peter McLoy clinched the first of those nine titles.

I had to laugh at Mike's trip to Tannadice for the first game of the 1st 9 in a row.
Mine was a bit different. I was 11 yrs old. My dad had attended a meeting and been elected bus convenor of the new Dalkeith and District CSC. As we walked down the road we saw the bus leaving without us.
We took a service bus to Edinburgh and investigated getting a train but we couldn't get there in time. At the bus station we were told that there were no direct buses to Dundee. We took a bus to Dunfermline. Then a bus to Kelty. Then a bus to Perth where we caught the bus to Dundee. Finally we got a corpy bus to Tannadice arriving at HT. When the gates were opened with 20 mins to go we got in to a packed ground. I saw the ball twice when it was punted up in the air. Unhappily we made our way down Dens Road where we passed a busker. I asked my dad why he was laughing. The tune being played was "The Road and the Miles to Dundee."
It was dark when we made it home. The bus never left without us again and we made good use of it on the last day of that season when Bobby Lennox 's late goal past an inspired Peter McLoy clinched the first of those nine titles.
Great story! 👏 👏👏👏☘HH

Members online

Back