Our defence is no defence.

Theverdict1

Until we accept that Ajer and Jozo aren't good enough CB's we will never ever move to another level. I know they weren't alone in under par performances, but it has been clear for a long time, to me at least, that we need at least one CB to come in. Should have in January but it was the same old shit from the club, preferring faith to facts.

The fact is, no matter how much we love big Ajer and I do, he just isn't a natural CB and definitely is nowhere near what is required if we have any serious hope of doing better in Europe. Jozo had an absolute nightmare and he too swings from looking like Franz Beckenbaur to Frank Spencer too often.

What makes last night's Groundhog Day worse is the fact Sevco are now in the last 16 and we are out. They have nothing in their safe but IOU's, we have around £50m. How people can continue to support Lawell and his hope over facts strategy appalls me.

We all thought, manager, players and us, that drawing Hans Christian Anderson's team was a good draw. It was. We buckled. Shat it, bottled it, whatever name you want, but we killed ourselves with mistake after mistake coming out which a better team would have exploited ever more than they managed.

Quality that costs is required. It was required every window for five years. We had the money, but Mr Lawell prefers a bank balance, always has, always will. Sevco running on fumes have done what we have failed to do since Mon's time. If we too were skint, then you would just shrug and move on. But, that's not the case. We have millions gathering dust.

I said when Rogers left that him going wasn't our main problem, it was Lawell staying. Unless he finds the ability to take up the cudgel, we will move slowly with fees and wages being wasted on Punts, hoping they come good, when we all know the hit rate is lower than a Tory's empathy level.

I am truly sad this morning. But that feeling we all have this morning gives way to anger.

Changing the formation? Lenny shat it. Simple as that. We looked disjointed. Eddy without his foil toiled. Midfield never really controlled the game. And the defence had us close to a heart attack too often.

I wish I could muster optimism about our summer signings to move forward. The bitter truth is I can't. I have thought too many times that now we will stand up. Now we will use our resources to move forward.

But, I sit wondering how we got to a position where a club with no money has out pressure on 9 and but for them collapsing would be a threat to that and them in the last 16 and we are out.

If anybody can defend that, your name must be Peter and your driveway must be roasting.

Last edited:
they are both better and suited in a back four centre back pairing...not a back three
If we have any ambition to progress in Europe the truth is they are better suited not playing. Gives me no pleasure to say that, but it's the truth. We need better and we need it in the summer.

Which summer that will be is the big question.

If we have any ambition to progress in Europe the truth is they are better suited not playing. Gives me no pleasure to say that, but it's the truth. We need better and we need it in the summer.

i agree they are not top drawer as yet... both have played very few games in what is the hardest position on a pitch.....Jozo is injury prone but Ajer will become amazing if he has experience beside him

Until we accept that Ajer and Jozo aren't good enough CB's we will never ever move to another level. I know they weren't alone in under par performances, but it has been clear for a long time, to me at least, that we need at least one CB to come in. Should have in January but it was the same old shit from the club, preferring faith to facts.

The fact is, no matter how much we love big Ajer and I do, he just isn't a natural CB and definitely is nowhere near what is required if we have any serious hope of doing better in Europe. Jozo had an absolute nightmare and he too swings from looking like Franz Beckenbaur to Frank Spencer too often.

What makes last night's Groundhog Day worse is the fact Sevco are now in the last 16 and we are out. They have nothing in their safe but IOU's, we have around £50m. How people can continue to support Lawell and his hope over facts strategy appalls me.

We all thought, manager, players and us, that drawing Hans Christian Anderson's team was a good draw. It was. We buckled. Shat it, bottled it, whatever name you want, but we killed ourselves with mistake after mistake coming out which a better team would have exploited ever more than they managed.

Quality that costs is required. It was required every window for five years. We had the money, but Mr Lawell prefers a bank balance, always has, always will. Sevco running on fumes have done what we have failed to do since Mon's time. If we too were skint, then you would just shrug and move on. But, that's not the case. We have millions gathering dust.

I said when Rogers left that him going wasn't our main problem, it was Lawell staying. Unless he finds the ability to take up the cudgel, we will move slowly with fees and wages being wasted on Punts, hoping they come good, when we all know the hit rate is lower than a Tory's empathy level.

I am truly sad this morning. But that feeling we all have this morning gives way to anger.

Changing the formation? Lenny shat it. Simple as that. We looked disjointed. Eddy without his foil toiled. Midfield never really controlled the game. And the defence had us close to a heart attack too often.

I wish I could muster optimism about our summer signings to move forward. The bitter truth is I can't. I have thought too many times that now we will stand up. Now we will use our resources to move forward.

But, I sit wondering how we got to a position where a club with no money has out pressure on 9 and but for them collapsing would be a threat to that and them in the last 16 and we are out.

If anybody can defend that, your name must be Peter and your driveway must be roasting.
it was more tactical than individual

what wage are these better players gonna get in your model?

imo it was midfield that lost game.

no out ball means big risks under press

its my opinion that best back 4 in world would likely have lost game when only 1 midfielder is within 40 yards of the guy with ball in defence.

tactics were more to blame than any particular individual.

our front 5 cant score if we cant get ball to their feet.

And thats much harder playing with 1 midfielder in front of 2 centre backs and everybody else running away from the ball.

Hard to disagree with the obvious really.

wages on offer in your budget?

i agree they are not top drawer as yet... both have played very few games in what is the hardest position on a pitch.....Jozo is injury prone but Ajer will become amazing if he has experience beside him
I hope you're right. But we need to bring in that quality that puts him under pressure to improve. Right now he doesn't have that and has been awful for weeks. We can't wait for him. He has to improve dramatically. He doesn't have a CB's instincts. He is left leg is a non combatant. They targeted him all night for the simple reason that he is vulnerable. Vulnerable defenders is our forte and that needs changed.

For whatever reason ajer’s head went down in December and hasn’t recovered. I thought his recent goal may spur him on.

Did however in fairness to hime see a very good physical piece of play from him last night when he held the opp player from him as he scrambled by him trying to keep ball in off the line and out of reach too. Excellent piece of work.

Is it just me, i think he has lost weight too and he really can’t afford to lose any

wages on offer in your budget?
Whateve Julien is on. Gather up all the wages wasted on punts and use them to fund quality. Boli, every signing Rogers made that saw zero return. Julien has been a good signing and would get better if he had someone of the same quality beside him. If we can get better for good money then great. But the evidence for that doesn't stack up. Hatem for example was a great buy at a better price. More like him but if we need to pay more to progress we need to do it. Saving a few bob then miss out on the CL is folly. That pays for progression, failing to secure it by hoping and having faith in players who can't cut it will only lead to us flatlining.

Whateve Julien is on. Gather up all the wages wasted on punts and use them to fund quality. Boli, every signing Rogers made that saw zero return. Julien has been a good signing and would get better if he had someone of the same quality beside him. If we can get better for good money then great. But the evidence for that doesn't stack up. Hatem for example was a great buy at a better price. More like him but if we need to pay more to progress we need to do it. Saving a few bob then miss out on the CL is folly. That pays for progression, failing to secure it by hoping and having faith in players who can't cut it will only lead to us flatlining.
what wages does that create?

gimme a clue who you think we can afford?

Nothing wrong with our players imo

need better plan that suits our strengths and nullifies opps strengths

you think vvd would have been better option in defence?

gimme a clue who you think we can afford?

Nothing wrong with our players imo

need better plan that suits our strengths and nullifies opps strengths

you think vvd would have been better option in defence?
VVD? Better plans work even better with better players. And I've told you a hundred times, the scouts at Celtic get paid to find, Lenny gets paid to pick good players. I am not. Trying to divert it to me is a lame position. We employ people and they need to up their game. We could go through a list of at least 20 players over the last ten years we have bought who have done heehaw, apart from cist us millions. Just like players, scouts need to improve that return. If you get me a job as a scout I will study and watch players in games, then I will tell you. Until then diverting to me is ducking the issue.

Last edited:
Here’s the facts Eddie could and should hav had a hat trick inside the first 20 mins of the 1st leg
If he does the whole tie is over
They didn’t cause us any problems until Nitcham tried a drag back at the edge of the box loses it and they score
Then Eddie had another 2 gilt edge chances to score if he takes either again the tie is over
Last nite we again had some great chances before they score and never took them
None of the above is the defenses fault then we make a blunder in defence and it’s fatal
We get back into it and then Rogic should do much better when the ball comes to him and we get caught again it’s fatal
It’s easy to blame the defence but over the 2 legs they didn’t make that many mistakes but our front men missed several easy opportunities to score and put everybody at ease
So we can’t jst blame everything on the defenders jst my opinion 🍀🍀🍀

Here’s the facts Eddie could and should hav had a hat trick inside the first 20 mins of the 1st leg
If he does the whole tie is over
They didn’t cause us any problems until Nitcham tried a drag back at the edge of the box loses it and they score
Then Eddie had another 2 gilt edge chances to score if he takes either again the tie is over
Last nite we again had some great chances before they score and never took them
None of the above is the defenses fault then we make a blunder in defence and it’s fatal
We get back into it and then Rogic should do much better when the ball comes to him and we get caught again it’s fatal
It’s easy to blame the defence but over the 2 legs they didn’t make that many mistakes but our front men missed several easy opportunities to score and put everybody at ease
So we can’t jst blame everything on the defenders jst my opinion 🍀🍀🍀
I agree with the above, collectively we shate ourselves. Coaching staff included. To f.cking vulnerable and Copenhagen sensed it and capitalised . Albeit some horror defending into the bargain.

VVD? Better plans work even better than better players. And I've told you a hundred times, the scouts at Celtic get paid to find, Lenny gets paid to pick good players. I am not. Trying to divert it to me is a lame position. We employ people and they need to up their game. We could go through a list of at least 20 players over the last ten years we have bought who have done heehaw, apart from cist us millions. Just like players, scouts need to improve that return. If you get me a job as a scout I will study and watch players in games, then I will tell you. Until then diverting to me is ducking the issue.
There are 2 players now TV that we paid about £6m for who cant get a game,, what does that say about our scouting system..
Are they just not good enough,, or just not good enough as far as Lenny is concerned,,did he have a choice in the signings ???.

HH.

TBH big chap i have moved on this morning was at the game, paid my way was not happy, but it's gone.

I'm not sure how Lawell gets the blame every time we lose a game?

There are so many ifs and but, maybe ayes maybe naws in there.

You also say that we shat it, bottled it.... that too me sounds like you think we had a team capable of winning the game.

End of the day we got knocked out by a team that knew exactly what they needed to do, didn't panic and kept on doing what would hurt us (just like Cluj and Rangers). The high press, and hitting us on the break and hoping that they they take chance when they came along. Copenhagen, Cluj and Rangers did all those thing.

No point beating Lawell for the result last night... collectively we failed last night. And in the cold light of day we learnt a good few lessons (again), good management takes those lessons and corrects them.

I'm not sure how Lawell gets the blame every time we lose a game?

There are so many ifs and but, maybe ayes maybe naws in there.

You also say that we shat it, bottled it.... that too me sounds like you think we had a team capable of winning the game.

End of the day we got knocked out by a team that knew exactly what they needed to do, didn't panic and kept on doing what would hurt us (just like Cluj and Rangers). The high press, and hitting us on the break and hoping that they they take chance when they came along. Copenhagen, Cluj and Rangers did all those thing.

No point beating Lawell for the result last night... collectively we failed last night. And in the cold light of day we learnt a good few lessons (again), good management takes those lessons and corrects them.
Who are these 'Rangers' of whom you speak?

Back