Pass Kings of World Football

lennono

CELTIC are the pass kings of world football according to new data that has been released.

According to the CIES Football Observatory, Ange's side passed the ball on average some 735 times from their first 13 Premiership matches this season.

That is the biggest figure from all 654 teams analysed across 40 top leagues around the globe.

English champions Manchester City are second (692), followed by Shakhtar Donetsk (682.1), Ajax (681.9), Bayern Munich (672.3) and PSG (667.4).

At the other end of the scale, Iivingston made the least passes of all the clubs examined and they are joined by Motherwell (322.9) and Dundee (343.8.) in the bottom ten.

The huns are 30th on the list, making on average 587.7 passes in their games.

The data also analysed how far the ball travelled on average in each game and calculated an average for the length of each pass.

Unsurprisingly, Celtic also came out on top for the distance their passes travelled in game, with an average of 12.8km per match, although came 22nd for the length of each pass (17.5km).

I know its goals that count....but hey....we are 'getting' there .... 🍀

Makes you think of old school Barca...until you realise that most of those passes are between our 2 CB and goalkeeper. Then it's not such good reading. If there was a table for keepers who touch the ball most in a game I'm sure Hart would be way out in front.....keepers don't score or set up many goals so that's not great.

I dont think this is a good thing. It smacks of too much passing. You have to get the balance right. Possession is all well and good, but we need 'forward' passing, not sideways and backwards. These team that come to CP are more than happy to watch us do that rather than get the ball into the box, they come for a point, if they get one they're happy.

Our passing is much more purposeful and penetrative now than under Rodgers. It used to be a little triangle between Broony and the centre halves back then, boring teams in to submission.

Members online

Latest posts

Back